Dubbed Anime

Blood: The Last Vampire was an amazing film. I think that the dubbing on it made a lot of sense becasue the Americans spoke English and the Japanese spoke Japanese. Also half the film was Japanese in the dub anyway. XD

I have Blood+ episodes 1-50 in a boxset and they weren't dubbed anyway so guess I have no choice but to watch them in Japanese. ^-^

But anyway dubbing never really has bothered me, as long as I get to see the Anime and understand it enough to love it.

Sy said:
and who can forget Shinji's dub reaction when he first see's the Eva...

"OH MY GOD WHY'S IT SO DARK IN HERE?? HUH WHA ARGHHHH!!!"

Not really meant to be comedic moments as far as I recall.

Of course that's meant to be a comedic moment. Think about it.

But it's Misato's and Asuka's dub voice that get to me the most. They just sound so off to me.

And that's where we really disagree - Misato and Asuka's voices are outstanding in the dub (Misato's isn't immediately great, but after about 3 episodes, Allison Keith hit her stride with the character and Tiffany Grant's performance as Asuka is incredibly memorable).

CitizenGeek said:
And that's where we really disagree - Misato and Asuka's voices are outstanding in the dub (Misato's isn't immediately great, but after about 3 episodes, Allison Keith hit her stride with the character and Tiffany Grant's performance as Asuka is incredibly memorable).

Really?

Because I thought Tiffany Grant's performance as Asuka made me want to drill my eardrums. The only thing I prefered over Yuko Miyamura's performance was the fact that she can speak German. Because:

German + Japanese accent = Train wreck.

Also, Allison Keith's performance of Misato in the first half of the series was crap. It sounded like she wasn't taking the role seriously, but after that, she improved her performance as the episodes went on, mainly in End of Evangelion.

But the main gripe I have with the dubs of Misato and Asuka is that Misato sounds too young and Asuka sounds too old.

Spike Spencer as Shinji was OK, but I feel that Spike doesn't work well with serious characters and is more suited to the comedy ones, e.g. Akito (Nadesico) & Hanataro (Bleach).

The only performance in the dub of Evangelion that was better than the Japanese version was Tristan MacAvery as Gendo. He took Fumihiko Tachiki's performance and made Gendo even more of a cold hearted bastard than he was.

I just hope he comes back for the new Evangelion movies.

When i eventually get round to watching Eva, looks like i'm going to have to try both the sub and the dub. I'll see how things go from there.

Another couple series i was wondering about was Gunslinger Girl and Excel Saga.

theres only 1 dub series i will let slide and thats Hellsing the voices just match
That's one show i did watch dubbed [mainly because my little brother hates subtitles]~ i agree; even though the english accents were over the top, they sounded good!

Maltos said:
Excel Saga.
Stay away from that dub! Do not touch it with a 10 foot barge pole. By far the worst and most annoying dub I have ever heard in my entire life. Terrible, awful, ghastly, vomit enducing, crap!

CitizenGeek said:
Of course that's meant to be a comedic moment. Think about it.
My point is that it wasn't originally played as a comedic moment. It was changed into that for the dubbed version.

Sy said:
Maltos said:
Excel Saga.
Stay away from that dub! Do not touch it with a 10 foot barge pole. By far the worst and most annoying dub I have ever heard in my entire life. Terrible, awful, ghastly, vomit enducing, crap!

Could you expand on that review? Why was it terrible, awful, ghastly, vomit enducing, and crap?

I actually enjoyed the Excel Saga dub, sure it was manic in places, but it was a manic series and the characters fit their crimes.

Fudce said:
Could you expand on that review? Why was it terrible, awful, ghastly, vomit enducing, and crap?
I not sure if I can past the fact that a lot of the flow in the fast talking was destroyed via the fact that ADV voice actors think they can make up for speed by shouting in highly annoying voices. The only good thing about the dub was Nabeshin's voice actor and that's only because in Japanese Nabeshin isn't even played by an actor anyway (the director).

Sy said:
Fudce said:
I not sure if I can past the fact that a lot of the flow in the fast talking was destroyed via the fact that ADV voice actors think they can make up for speed by shouting in highly annoying voices. The only good thing about the dub was Nabeshin's voice actor and that's only because in Japanese Nabeshin isn't even played by an actor anyway (the director).

I second that. I think they even changed the voice actress of Excel after the first few episodes and somehow made it worse.

In my opinion it would have to be FLCL, the dubbing on that was fantastic! And i NEVER watch dubbed anime but i could actually sit though FLCL without cringing one bit! No idea what team dubbed it but i prefer the dub to the subs, maybe because the dub works well with the general crazyness of the show...

Tin Man said:
Sy said:
Fudce said:

I second that. I think they even changed the voice actress of Excel after the first few episodes and somehow made it worse.

They changed the voice actress because the first one did damage to her vocal chords whilst voicing the character.

Fudce said:
Tin Man said:
Sy said:
Fudce said:

They changed the voice actress because the first one did damage to her vocal chords whilst voicing the character.

Must be manic :eek:

I suppose we might as well extend the conversation to about dubbed anime in general now.

I've watched the first 4 eps of GitS: SAC 2nd GIG dubbed now and i'm thoroughly enjoying it! The only thing that is taking some time to get used to is the english Tachikomas.

What do you think about the Akira dub? It was a long while ago that i watched Akira and it was the second anime saw, but from what i can remember, it wasn't too bad. I think i saw the newer one~ I am right in saying there is two, right?

Maltos said:
What do you think about the Akira dub? It was a long while ago that i watched Akira and it was the second anime saw, but from what i can remember, it wasn't too bad. I think i saw the newer one~ I am right in saying there is two, right?

That's right, the 1989 version by Streamline and the 2001 version by Pioneer.

If you want to know which is the best version, I found 7 videos that compared the two versions, so you can decide which is the best version:

Part 1: Kaneda

Part 2: Tetsuo

Part 3: Kei & Ryu

Part 4: Colonel Shikishima

Part 5: Doctor Ōnishi

Part 6: Kaori, Yamagata & Kai

Part 7: Masaru, Takashi, Kiyoko & Nezu

Watching those I think I prefer the 1989 one. But they didn't jog my memory as to which one I saw. I'll watch the 1989 soon and see how good it is.

I hated the 1989 dub of Akira, it was pretty poorly acted all round and can only serve as fuzzy nostalgia to those who saw that dub originally To me the Pioneer dub with Johnny Yong Bosch is superior in every aspect and I'd even say it's better than the Japanese version.

Martian Successor Nadesico uses the same VAs as Evangelion, which I find hella funny. Kind of a mick take of Evangelion, heh. So if you want to see Evangelion's VAs in an anime that's not stuck up it's own ****, and still damn good, watch Martian Successor Nadesico.

I'd opt for the 2001 Akira dub personally, it seems to have a greater emotional range.

When I watched the redubbed version recently, I enjoyed the film a lot more than I did when I was a kid. It may just be that my opinion of the film has changed though the dub may also have something to do with it.

Sy said:
I hated the 1989 dub of Akira, it was pretty poorly acted all round and can only serve as fuzzy nostalgia to those who saw that dub originally To me the Pioneer dub with Johnny Yong Bosch is superior in every aspect and I'd even say it's better than the Japanese version.

Have to agree with you on this, its one of my fave dubs.

Back