Dragonball movie officially confirmed; set for summer '08

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
After many months (and for thousands of Dragonball fans, years) of speculation, it has <a href="http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117975946.html?categoryid=13&cs=1">finally been confirmed</a> by Twentieth Century Fox that a big-budget live-action version of Dragonball is set to hit the big screen come August 2008. Helming the project will be "Final Destination" director James Wong, while the leading role of an adult Goku will be played by Justin Chatwin (mostly known for his part as Tom Cruise's angsty son in 2005's "War of the Worlds") and James Marsters ("Spike" from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer") will be playing the "villain" Picollo.

It's <a href="http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3if4dd78b5e8cb0390c28f39444310f20a">vaguely stated</a> that this will be an adaption of Akira Toriyama's uber-popular manga, though the many press releases seem to indicate that the film will be splicing together various elements from both "Dragonball" and "Dragonball Z", rather than faithfully retelling Goku's journey from young punk to legendary Saiyan warrior. James Kyson Lee (<em>Ando </em>from the US TV series "Heroes") is apparently auditioning for the role of Yamcha.

i dont know how i feel about this :x

pickle dick as the villian?

i'm kinda happy about the choice of actor tho for goku, i can see it.

i'm staying reserved on this one. time will tell...

Hmm, I can't see the actor playing as Goku doing well. The actor for Picollo howevermight dosome good. Meh, even if the filom blows it'll probably be good to laugh at.

There are so many ways this can go so horribly wrong, Yet they may, just may pull it off. I have hopes, little at that. But I ensure you, they are there.

It definitely seems like they're rushing it through with a release in 2008... Also, I guess this means we'll see a re-launch of Dragonball\DBZ on TV too. It's potentially going to utterly suck, I just hope it's not a massive flop and actually makes some money.

I always find it funny how eager anime fans are to bash adaptations of anime when next to nothing at all is known about said adaptation.

I think this DBZ movie has potential, for sure - you don't all think that DBZ was perfect in the first place, surely?

CitizenGeek said:
I always find it how funny how eager anime fans are to bash adaptations of anime when next to nothing at all is known about said adaptation.

I think this DBZ movie has potential, for sure - you don't all hink that DBZ was perfect in the first place, surely?

I agree with this, it happens far too much, for far too many things. People are too skeptical.

I'm very excited about seeing this. I find it odd how it's been put from 2010 to 2008 though... I guess they thought it could do super well, so they're really pushing it hard now?

melonpan said:
I find it odd how it's been put from 2010 to 2008 though... I guess they thought it could do super well, so they're really pushing it hard now?

No they just want to get it done before the strike shuts down production, so its going to be very hastily written and most likely filmed without the screen writer on set to do re-writes, explain scene choices, plot elements etc.

A few movies are being done like this because of the strike and having worked in the film industry for a few years and seeing how important having the writers on set is I'd say that most of those movies are going to be a disaster.

That one thing alone is likely to doom this movie.

Could be worse guys, Michael Bay could be diecting :p

I shouldn't be so quick to judge, i for one will go to the cinema to see it just because it's DBZ. Is Toriyama involved at all anybody know?

For some reason i expected America's first major anime/manga adaptation to be a mech film.

LukasROAR said:
Could be worse guys, Michael Bay could be diecting :p

awh that's not fair, I actually liked transformers... :p Still i'll be seeing this just so i can judge what its like for myself, i've become very skeptical of reviews as of late. In any case it will be better then the live action Gundam movie...

Jayme said:
Maxon said:
melonpan said:
LukasROAR said:
For some reason i expected America's first major anime/manga adaptation to be a mech film.
Where've you been hiding? Transformers!
Transformers wasn't anime.

It was animated by Toei, That makes it anime in my books.
The original cartoons, concepts and designs were all American. The Japanese stepped in for later series but that was when the franchise was phasing out.

Back