Dragonball movie officially confirmed; set for summer '08

melonpan said:
LukasROAR said:
For some reason i expected America's first major anime/manga adaptation to be a mech film.

Where've you been hiding? Transformers!

Lol i refuse to go see transformers.
Plus for reasons other people have given after my post and yours, Transformers isn't an anime, and i certainly don't class it as one.
Bring on a proper mech movie, with a director whose not just interested in special effects and merchandising.

if this does well i dont see why Hollywood would look to make a "westernized" Gundam film.. I'm sure sunrise would be more than happy to give some crap director the rights, only i wonder what would happen to the merchandise..

I've just been thinking, It could possibly be done well.

Most of the comic book mega movies done pretty darn good for themselves. We just need to hope they go for the right audience and make the 'green screen' shots partially believable.

Nobody has mentioned James Cameron's Battle Angel yet, due to start filming in '08 with the possiblity of it being the first of a trilogy. It's currently in pre-production according to his site.

Mr B said:
Nobody has mentioned James Cameron's Battle Angel yet, due to start filming in '08 with the possiblity of it being the first of a trilogy. It's currently in pre-production according to his site.

I thought that had been pushed back due to his Avatar movie which he is working on :?

His site says Avatar is due out in 2009 and Battle Angel is in pre-production!? From (what I can recall of) an early interview he did, both films are to be made in such a way that they can stand alone as idividual films, but with the possibility of each expanding to trilogies if they get good returns.

Radio 1's James King was raving on about the cast & director for DragonBall last week, shame he refered to is as being based on the manga cartoon, Anime must be a hard word to say!?

Mr B said:
Radio 1's James King was raving on about the cast & director for DragonBall last week, shame he refered to is as being based on the manga cartoon, Anime must be a hard word to say!?
Well even if they're taking it second-hand (which is, in my opinion, a very lazy decision) it's still ultimately based on the manga (of course the manga is itself inspired by Journey to the West, but you know what I mean)… Why can't they just call it a comic? Things would be so much simpler if people didn't feel that they had to use the word 'manga' to be trendy, only to then have to explain what it means for people who aren't familiar with the word.

And I'm not sure if it's already been mentioned here, but there's already been an (amusing awful) live-action Dragon Ball film, made in Hong Kong some years ago – see here.

Paul said:
James Kyson Lee ("Ando" from the US TV series Heroes) is apparently auditioning for the role of Yamcha.
img126.gif

They need to do a series of the Movies, and It Should Really Follow the Sagas:

1st movie - obviously its piccolo/Jr Saga if piccolo is the Bad Guy
2nd Movie - Saiyan Saga
3rd Movie - Frieza Saga
4th Movie - Android Saga
5th Movie - Cell Saga
6th Movie - If the Felt it was Needed the Buu Saga

How I would do each saga is make each movie an epic, kinda like King kong, Lord of the Rings, Transformers where all relivent parts of teh storyline are Included, and for say movies that had quick follow ups like Saiyan went straight into the Frieza Saga, I would leave it that at the end of the Movie you see them preparing for the next saga.

thekendyman said:
They need to do a series of the Movies, and It Should Really Follow the Sagas:

1st movie - obviously its piccolo/Jr Saga if piccolo is the Bad Guy
2nd Movie - Saiyan Saga
3rd Movie - Frieza Saga
4th Movie - Android Saga
5th Movie - Cell Saga
6th Movie - If the Felt it was Needed the Buu Saga

How I would do each saga is make each movie an epic, kinda like King kong, Lord of the Rings, Transformers where all relivent parts of teh storyline are Included, and for say movies that had quick follow ups like Saiyan went straight into the Frieza Saga, I would leave it that at the end of the Movie you see them preparing for the next saga.

That would be cool. But at the same time I hope the movies are not like the anime in spending half an hour shouting and 2 minutes actually fighting :lol:

Lupus Inu said:
They should just stop at the Freiza saga, in respect to what Toriyama originally wanted. >_>

Agreed... DBZ went crap after that.

Though, the Frieza Saga would be like... too long (plus the film is mostly gonna contain 7 minutes of fighting)

Which reminds me, did they like... talk very fast when the world gonna be destroyed in 7 minutes?

hmmmmm....don't know what to make of this - I believe that some anime would translate to live action movies better than others. I have a bad feeling about this but I really want to be proved wrong as I love Dragonball/DBZ. I'll only go and see it if I hear positives from the whole fan base. It would be good to see the TV series back and they might release some more DVDs of the series but so far I'm staying away unless a lot of you say its absolutely amazing - A rental for me

The on thing I'm trying to understand is that which Piccalo fight is it? Or will the film contain both?...well, actually it can't be The Great Demon King Piccalo as there would be a child as Goku. But, if they did make a second, piccalo didn't know he was an alien, he thought he was a demon until Vegeta told him he was Namaken. Already they are saying Goku is protecting the earth from extraterrestrials. Some say he meets Master Roshi by his Grandfather Gohan's dying words. Basically the story is all over the place.

Plus, with Chi Chi's actor choice...whats Gohan/Goten going to look like?

I'll still go and see this movie because when I saw the continuous updates this year I was in awe with every report, but some story choices kind of annoy me, when animated media (comics,manga,cartoons) get adapted they usually have researchers researching into the original storys and try to keep to that, with this is seems like they are just taking a general idea of what its about, without reading the manga or watching the anime. If they did so it'd stay true to the damn story.

If you read this you have wasted 3 minutes of your life, blame me, but it took me like 1 minute to type. Ha, Laters all.

I think its basically the a combination of the demon king piccalo fight and the world tournament piccalo jr fight. I don't think we'll need to worry about the gohan/ goten issue just yet :p

Just found out that Stephen Chow(Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle) is producing this movie :p This adds a plus to the movie in my opinion. I loved Kung Fu Hustle, and if the fights in this are anything like the fights in that movie then its on the right track :) (of course it can still mess up big time)

Back