Doormat women in anime

Ark said:
I think men should be in charge I just don't want women to like it.

Thats just a bit sexist...

Anyway, There are some Anime with men in charged. The list...

Bleach
Fullmetal Alchemist
Naruto
Dragonball Z
Dragonball
Dragonball GT
Death Note

And loads of other animes...

Chrono Demon said:
Ark said:

Anyway, There are some Anime with men in charged. The list...

Bleach
Fullmetal Alchemist
Naruto
Dragonball Z
Dragonball
Dragonball GT
Death Note

And loads of other animes...

Death Note is quite a MAN related story, not with the main characters being Male, Light-kun uses every girl that ever has had a part in the story at least once.

Chrono Demon said:
Ark said:

Well that's just how I am. I've always been psychologically patriarchal even though in my own family that's not the situation I was brought up with at all. Anyway I don't really understand the term sexist. The sexes ARE different.

Anime with walk over women

Love Hina
Bleach
Naruto
NGE [Not much But There Is Some]
Tenchi [Again Not much But There is some]
DB/DBZ/DBGT
Chobits
Tenjho Tenge [Not much but Some]
Trigun
Shaman King
One Piece
FOTNS

Infact pretty Much any Shonen Jump Series has at least one women who gets threated like a door mat

Walk Over men Animes

Tenchi
Love Hina
Ikki Tousen
Shaman king
One piece
NGE

Ark said:
Anyway I don't really understand the term sexist. The sexes ARE different.
Sexism is more often associated with negative meaning behind comments on either gender, but nowadays anything that's said about women as a gender is sexist, which is one of the biggest double-standards ever.

Thing is not all quiet females are doormats, and like wise not all loud females are stong willed. Megumi Reinard from Nadesico, rarely shouts or wallops people, generally has good manners, wise enough to let go, but is she a doormat? No. Weak. No, unless you consider flying into a war zone in an unarmed shuttle weak or doormatish. Like wise some loud characters are fairly weak, and can be swayed easily by boys, clothes, sweets or something else meaningless. Though not saying the boys are any better though.

Ark said:
Anyway I don't really understand the term sexist. The sexes ARE different.
Um, being sexist isn't just discriminating based on sex - after all, like you say the sexes are different, so making a discrimination makes perfect sense. Being sexist is making an unfair discrimination based on sex, which is something else entirely.

I am rather fed up with it tbh, but then again there are plenty of strong anime women if you look out for them. Ryoko in Nadesico, Anita in RODtv, Leona in Dominion Tank Police, just about any Miyazaki female etc.

Personally, this is not much different to western storytelling. It happens, it sucks, but it is certainly not a japan universal.

(And btw, I am a guy and consider myself a Feminist so it is something I do think about!)

To be honest, it is pretty reflective of Japanese society, especially of days gone by. Sure, they are catching up with the rest of us as a more equal society, but there is still the old school of thought that women should be seen and not heard etc.

Saying that though, there are a lot of anime where the main character is a strong willed female, so this sort of turns everything on its head!!

this thread is bull... i think anime is at the forefront of entertainment that shows empowered woman

yes yes in most fan service the woman are... how do say... DOZY C*NTS

but in any credibal anime the woman are empowered and wont take any ****... examples:

misato - evangelion
mimi - perfect blue
saya - blood
fay - cowboy bebop

and many others that i cant think of rite now lol

I'd say you were wrong about Dragonball Z, no one dared touch Chi Chi in her moods, same as Bulma, even though men were the main focus, the women had overall control.

Just to add something having now seen a few episodes of Gundam Seed I also think Lacus is a doormat. It seems to me that these characters are designed to be more like those mechanical jumping dogs than like people. Basically they look cute and do cute things.

Ark said:
Just to add something having now seen a few episodes of Gundam Seed I also think Lacus is a doormat. It seems to me that these characters are designed to be more like those mechanical jumping dogs than like people. Basically they look cute and do cute things.
The worst of it is how she ends up leading an entire space nation and spouting some righteous BS, and we're all supposed to swallow it down. But then, character depth isn't Gundam Seed's strongest point anyway, and by Destiny, character development was practically axed in favour of more clip-shows.

Not that Gundam as a whole doesn't fail at character depth, and particularly female character depth. Female characters in early Gundam are either incredibly dense ("SAYLA SMASH SMASH IN GUNDAM! OW! SAYLA HURT!") or they're destined to be pulled limb from limb when Kill Em All Tomino gets out of the wrong side of the wrong bed and goes into the wrong office.

kupoartist said:
Ark said:
The worst of it is how she ends up leading an entire space nation and spouting some righteous BS, and we're all supposed to swallow it down. But then, character depth isn't Gundam Seed's strongest point anyway, and by Destiny, character development was practically axed in favour of more clip-shows.

To be honest I think it was Destiny episodes I saw. I just feel sorry for the dude. Is it even possible to have a sexual relationship with a mechanical jumping dog?

Back