Don't go to pieces! Land of the Lustrous simulwatch (completed)

I thought the ending of the GLT manga was fairly conclusive. Absolute Girl's Last Tour spoiler, don't look here unless you have read the entire manga: They get to the top, find nothing but a large block and after losing everything in trying to complete the journey they then die in their sleep.

Been a while since I read it, yes that makes sense, I guess I was hoping for more? I dunno. The material the anime covered was great though.

Episode 12
That was the final episode, and while it doesn't really conclude stuff, it works as a "wrap up" of sorts. From the episode title "New work" it was quite clear that we would get to see Cinnabar again. I was prepared for an open end, and I honestly think they did a pretty good job. It comes full circle with Phos' quest to find a new work for Cinnabar and we get to see the stark contrast between how Phos started out and what she became. It's only the many open points, including the ones they've introduced in this episode as well. If only there was the prospect of a second season, than I would have little to no issue with the episode.

It was really painful seeing that Phos forgot all about the "fun" part of her promise. As it turns out, that might actually be the most important part to Cinnabar. What IMHO is actually worse is that when Phos made the promise it seemed to be for Cinnabar's sake. Yet now Phos tries to fulfil that promise with something that benefits herself primarily.

Having Phos and the Master face each other near the end was brilliant. It really shows the current conflict at hand. Phos is going down a path where she can no longer rely on the other gems (bar Cinnabar). In fact, it's not even clear if Phos is better of knowing the truth. While my gut tells me that down the line this would lead to situations where the other gems would be pitted against Phos, I sort of hope that that doesn't happen. Similar to how the gems "trust" the master despite their doubts, it would be interesting to see Master do the same by "trusting" Phos.

All in all, I really enjoyed the show. Would give it a solid 8/10. I might pick up the manga, though I always prefer starting from the start, so I'll probably hold off for a while anyway.

Watching episode by episode and reading everyone's thoughts was really fun as well. So thanks everyone!

Diagnostic Manual of Anime Diseases, 1st ed
Where can I pre-order a copy please?
From a narrative perspective, it would make sense for there to be two equal and opposite characters, with Sensei encouraging growth in the gems, while this theoretical Anti-Sensei enslaves the lunarians. That would make sense in a story that leans heavily into themes of identity and self-actualisation.
Very nice theory and would certainly make for an interesting narrative.
I'd also just like to say this simulwatch has been a lot of fun. The more the merrier as they say and that's certainly true when discussing a great show with a lot to talk about.
My first simulwatch with everyone and fully agree with WMD, a great show like this really is best served with everyone's thoughts and analyses, it's been great fun so thanks to everyone and special thanks to Birdie Num Num for the added beautiful visual element of the concept art (heh just catching up on everyone's comments and clearly & rightly everyone feels the gratitude for the provision of the artwork!).

I am an anime > manga person, so I always prefer the former.
Me too, the animation and music elements an anime production brings to the story will always make it superior to a manga/novel for me even if concepts and lore can have more space in the latter formats to be expanded on. I too hope that the anime continues but assume having the manga continuing increases the chances of the former doing so too?
@Geriatric hedgehog Looking around real quick (Wikipedia, the fandom etc), it seems like it sold just ok (the manga sold progressively better) , blu ray sold acceptably too, but nothing that would light the world on fire.
And people and their lack of appreciation for such class & quality continues to disappoint...
👀 nervously eyeing new mvm monogatari titles without even having watched a single episode 👀
If you've seen and liked the previous ones, you'll like the upcoming ones, and Owari 3 brings the show to a wonderful close (I'm personally going to try, on re-watching, to see zoku before owari 3 in the way Hanamonogatari is admixed in, given how well I feel owari ends and it should stop there, no epilogue season needed heh).
I'm like that irl too, so I can be an annoying little f°ck lol
Makes two of us but my excuse is it reflects personality and hey I can always be thrown out of the room if I get too annoying heh.
May i be the first to say that Monogatari is sublime? If I give this an 8/10, Monogatari is 10/10 for me
Yes, yes, I second, I second! That is on the level of Evangelion for me (probably why I feel so ironically defensive about it that I have myself in the recent past ** slaps forehead ** pointed out issues in it that I don't like, as I care so much about that show and don't want anyone nitpicking it so I'll get in there before them... Don't ask about the logic there...)
given how the show is a lot more repeatable than some of those examples, I’ve had more times to marinade in its themes.
I actually plan to binge re-watch it in the next few weeks so completely get why so many people have watched it multiple times!

The sad reality is that most anime made these days are adaptations created solely for the purpose of promoting the source material or generating merch, & maybe there just isn’t enough of an incentive to make more.
Just seems like such a waste of a truly fantastic and imaginative medium...

Anyhoo, now to look for copies of the manga for sale online heh

Amazing final picks for the artwork, @Birdie Num Num holy moly dude.

@Lordhippos I've been interested in watching Monogatari ever since I've learned about it, but I have a feeling I'll want to watch it all when I start, which is why I'm waiting for all the available stuff to release in the UK, I already have everything up to the second season box!

@fathomlessblue's post saying stuff gets real after this point in the manga is like throwing kerosene into the fire. I dunno, I'm not gonna dwell on it forever but I still think there's an argument to be made about a series needing to feel somewhat satisfying on its own. Like, this could never be seen as essential to me in isolation, because so much is teased and so little delivered upon. I've made my peace and I'll just look into the manga eventually, even if the hiatus continues. I need to see where this goes.

Thanks @Neil.T for mentioning fathomlessblue's earlier posts, those were interesting to read.

This is a Public Service Announcement for @João Gomes , @fathomlessblue , and anyone else who has had trouble with the second disc on MVM's blu-ray set for Land of the Lustrous.

It looks like the problem with disc 2 may have been resolved in the current reprint. When I mentioned the problem to MVM, here was the reply:

1616001125672.png

Even though it's been two years since I bought the blu-ray, they kindly offered me a replacement set, which arrived today. I've tested the old and new copies of disc 2 a few times, and the results are consistent: the old copy never loads the main menu on my Panasonic BD player, while the new copy loads it every time. Obviously I haven't had a chance to watch the episodes all the way through to check for other problems yet, but I tried skipping through all the chapters, and they at least start normally.

Bear in mind that this is anecdotal; the most I can say is that the old copy didn't work for me and the new one does. Since the source of the problem was never identified, and the masters are the same between reprints, your mileage may vary. My guess is that there was a manufacturing flaw on that first pressing, but that's just a guess.

I also notice that the disc art looks a bit different on the latest reprint. I have no idea if this is consistent across that whole print run, but if it is it might help people identify which one they own. As you can see, the colours are less saturated on the new discs below. The most noticeable difference is Cinnabar's hair on disc 1: it's red on the old disc and a copper orange on the new one.

land of the lustrous disc art.jpg
EDIT: Actually I've just noticed a more concrete difference. The colour scheme of the MVM logo is inverted. The old disc is grey with a black border, the new one is black with a grey border.

Last edited:
The colour scheme of the MVM logo is inverted. The old disc is grey with a black border, the new one is black with a grey border.
Just to thicken the plot of this a little bit, I took a look at my discs, and they're the old ones, like the upper pair in your photo, with the higher colour saturation and original MVM logo on disc 2.

I've only played my discs in one single Blu-ray player, a Sony BDP-S3700, and experienced no problems whatsoever.

Double post, I know.

Thanks @Neil.T for mentioning fathomlessblue's earlier posts, those were interesting to read.
No worries, man. What caught my eye from reading them again was the suggestion of an "Eden-like" existence. When you consider that the gems also seem to be efficiently forbidden from attaining certain knowledge, that comparison is perhaps even more apt.

I have a hole in my life now and no gem to fill it with! 😖
It's hard, not simulwatching Land of the Lustrous, isn't it? 😅

Oh, this randomly popped back into my mind, too:
I absolutely love the way the JPN voice actors say "fluffy". Somehow the word sounds even fluffier than it does in English!
Poor Dia missed out on all the fuufuu time
You might've clocked this already, Geriatric hedgehog, but that phrase fuwa fuwa is the same as in the lyrics of Hōkago Tea Time's song "Fuwa Fuwa Time" in K-On!.

(You know, every time I start typing your user name, I notice that it starts with "Geri", and I find myself tempted to use it as a diminutive. 😆😅)

Doing God's work, @Dai I appreciate the mention. I'll shoot them an email for sure, see what they have to say because I really want to watch this at my pace and with adjusted expectations. Then, I think I'll be able to have a truly clear picture of how I feel about the series.

@Neil.T It seems like an apt comparison and if we run with it, one can't help but wonder not if but how their expulsion will occur, when they inevitably attain such knowledge.

The hiatus-count Twitter account I found earlier was called "countdown to despair" or some such... That stuck with me and it very much seems like the direction the series would continue on with everything that has transpired thus far.

Even though it's been two years since I bought the blu-ray, they kindly offered me a replacement set, which arrived today.
What legends, definitely count me as a fan of these guys.
I have a hole in my life now and no gem to fill it with! 😖
Me too! But as with all series I end up enjoying I usually re-watch again and again right after like a muppet whilst my watchlist carries on expanding....
that phrase fuwa fuwa is the same as in the lyrics of Hōkago Tea Time's song "Fuwa Fuwa Time" in K-On!
Yes absolutely right, there is always some subconscious reminiscence buzzing in my head when I hear that and I now I know!

You know, every time I start typing your user name, I notice that it starts with "Geri", and I find myself tempted to use it as a diminutive. 😆😅
Heheh....but please don't, I'd rather just hedgehog or hedge or something (would've gone for hedgie if I were cute and cuddly but I'm not...) Sorry about the long winded username but you'll be pleased to know it's much shorter than the alternative Grumpy Old Man #7*10⁶!

I really want to watch this at my pace and with adjusted expectations. Then, I think I'll be able to have a truly clear picture of how I feel about the series.
Following on from that, as mentioned I'm definitely going to re-watch but after I want to head into the manga next, but conflicted as if I knew the anime was definitely going to continue I would hold off the manga until the story has been completed in anime form. Maybe my massive watchlist will distract me from the manga heh. Speaking of...
Final Episode - not sure what else I can say that others haven't already said. This is one of my favourite shows, and it was a joy to watch it again, and even more a joy to watch it in a simulwatch with everyone.

View attachment 17601

View attachment 17602

Bonus artwork
View attachment 17603

View attachment 17604
Dude, where did you get this art book? I've looked and can only find pretty expensive imports from Japan on eBay (and they seem to be labelled volume 1 - there are more volumes?! Or are they referring to future seasons!)

Me too! But as with all series I end up enjoying I end up re-watching again and again right after like a muppet whilst my watchlist carries on expanding....

I'm making a conscious effort to not rewatch much, I have so much new stuff to watch that rewatching something I have seen too soon after seeing it once seems like a bad idea. I have some things I'd eventually like to go back to and rewatch, but I want to put some time between my 1st watch and my 2nd.

I'm making a conscious effort to not rewatch much, I have so much new stuff to watch that rewatching something I have seen too soon after seeing it once seems like a bad idea. I have some things I'd eventually like to go back to and rewatch, but I want to put some time between my 1st watch and my 2nd.
I know exactly what you mean and have also recently avoided re-watching favourites I really feel like watching again (randomly really want to watch Toradora - maybe off the back of watching the also Okada-penned Anthem of the Heart).

I think a balance in this matter may be required for me, as I've recently found I've watched some subjectively mediocre "new" stuff, and felt my time would've been better spent rewatching a quality favourite. May start doing a run of an unwatched series alongside a favourite one in the future. This age of information overload applies to anime watchlists too and I'm near giving up trying to clear mine!

I've watched some subjectively mediocre "new" stuff, and felt my time would've been better spent rewatching a quality favourite.
You see, this makes a lot of sense to me. I reached that same realisation too.

There have been some big game changers for me in anime where a lot of other shows/films all of a sudden feel like they pale in comparison. Gurren Lagann was one such game changer. I'd much rather spend my viewing time watching that again rather than end up feeling like I've wasted it gambling on something second-rate.

Of course, in order to develop new favourites, you have to give new shows (Lustrous included) a try, so it's a double-edged sword.

Back