Don't go to pieces! Land of the Lustrous simulwatch (completed)

Episode 12

I actually really liked how this season ended but have always really looked at it as a set up season, thanks to forewarning, which I agree is exactly what it was but my, what a brilliant set up indeed.

This episode was very much an epilogue one with the only reveal, if it can be called that, being that what we've seen of the Lunarians' existence thus far, is actually their trance-like/hypnotised state. I too, was expecting a packed couple of episodes after episode 10, but much preferred this relatively gentle 'release' from the series. I actually quite liked the mood swings between serious/horror and light-hearted slice-of-life/comedy, and didn't find them jarring but rather, comforting from the heavier subjects covered.

Other tidbits:

- I find the pairing of Zircon with Diamonds in general quite interesting, given the only knowledge I have of gems is hearing as a child that zircon is used in jewelry as cheaper & "fake diamonds"; so what is the show saying about this character then?

- Cinnabar and Phos: at the start I very much got male vibes off Cinnabar & childlike but androgynous from Phos. However by the end I now find Cinnabar incredibly feminine (especially in the episode 11 with everything about the way they were walking towards Cinnabar, holding Bort's shoes, and avoiding the fuufuu doggie - I guess it's more on body language then), and Phos more on the masculine spectrum. Also naturally inclined to think of mercury as a metal & not gem, so this part of Cinnabar's composition is suggestive of an alloy make up, not indifferent to Phos' gold arms now. Anyhoo, glad they've made it official heh.

- I like how Sensei has always had hints throughout of having a potentially antagonistic/ambiguous role (with all the gems always suspecting as much), rather than there being an eventual unimaginative reveal of the 'big baddie' wolf in sheep's clothing.

- following from that, I don't think the gems being portrayed as childlike is to belittle their understanding, rather I feel it's a reflection of their denial & fear of the ramifications of evolving/progressing/questioning authority, exactly as paparazzi (heheh love that João) warned Phos and my foreboding of 'careful what you wish for' regarding Phos.

- Phos ending their arc in the most scientific way with the Platonic confession that they don't know anything; Phos is clearly evolving, and I completely agree with how heartbreaking the reminiscing was, whilst everyone else seems relatively stagnant in their roles (Dia just being her usual adorable but pensive self); the memory of Sensei holding off deciding a role & potential for young Phos' apart from acknowledging they have a lot of heart was a really nice touch as well, leading on to

- the episode and series coming to a very telling end with a Sensei (calm on the surface, but torrents underlying?) & Phos (jaded but driven) face off over their tiny island of a world.

I really, really liked this series. I would compare its set up nature to Attack on Titan, as in a similar vein I found the lore and some characters in AoT fascinating but that one I dropped after the first cour as I found the miniscule hint dropping and pacing/set up more irritating than entertaining. But now, I'm finding it very satisfying bingeing AoT. This is the opposite of LotL, which I would happily follow by drip feed because I find the lore set up more enjoyable than annoying...

So, very much like the gems only know their island amongst the whole planet, we've only just had a glimpse on to what I really hope becomes an ongoing saga. For me this season was a solid 9/10.

p.s. so good a series subjectively that I have completely forgotten to re-comment on the CGI, probably also because of its quality not being a negative distraction..

Last edited:
Episode 12

I actually really liked how this season ended but have always really looked at it as a set up season, thanks to forewarning, which I agree is exactly what it was but my, what a brilliant set up indeed.

This episode was very much an epilogue one with the only reveal, if it can be called that, being that what we've seen of the Lunarians' existence thus far, is actually their trance-like/hypnotised state. I too, was expecting a packed couple of episodes after episode 10, but much preferred this relatively gentle 'release' from the series. I actually quite liked the mood swings between serious/horror and light-hearted slice-of-life/comedy, and didn't find them jarring but rather, comforting from the heavier subjects covered.

I wish I'd had my expectations adjusted in a similar manner, they always mess things up when I start expecting things that don't pan out. Maybe during an eventual re-watch I will be able ao appreciate the series for what it is instead of what I wanted it to be! I want that, because it's quality stuff.

- I like how Sensei has always had hints throughout of having a potentially antagonistic/ambiguous role (with all the gems always suspecting as much), rather than there being an eventual unimaginative reveal of the 'big baddie' wolf in sheep's clothing.

I also appreciate that it's treated as a matter of course that everyone suspects the Master considering the vibe has always been ambiguous from the first episode. I still don't think the Master has ill intentions but there's much more to him, for sure.

- following from that, I don't think the gems being portrayed as childlike is to belittle their understanding, rather I feel it's a reflection of their denial & fear of the ramifications of evolving/progressing/questioning authority, exactly as paparazzi (heheh love that João) warned Phos and my foreboding of 'careful what you wish for' regarding Phos.

That's a good point, actually. Didn't see it that way, but yeah, that's probably exactly what it is. I wonder if Phos is the one that will rekindle the fires of doubt. I know I'd be asking questions, even if it messed with the status quo. And it seems like a logical next step for the series (I don't know where this goes in the manga).

- Phos ending their arc in the most scientific way with the Platonic confession that they don't know anything; Phos is clearly evolving, and I completely agree with how heartbreaking the reminiscing was, whilst everyone else seems relatively stagnant in their roles (Dia just being her usual adorable but pensive self); the memory of Sensei holding off deciding a role & potential for young Phos' apart from acknowledging they have a lot of heart was a really nice touch as well, leading on to

- the episode and series coming to a very telling end with a Sensei (calm on the surface, but torrents underlying?) & Phos (jaded but driven) face off over their tiny island of a world.

Yeah, I like the direction that has been set up. Seeing Phos' childlike eyes and innocence in that flashback only to come back to her weary expression was very well done and very effective. As for the Master, he probably has most of the answers to the questions the viewers may have, so Phos will probably take a while to confront him I think.

I too, hope this at least gets a second season, but I imagine this didn't exactly transform manga sales back when it came out. Still, stranger things have happened.

I wish I'd had my expectations adjusted in a similar manner, they always mess things up when I start expecting things that don't pan out.
Heh yeah reminded me of Blood-C similarly that I just recently binged before the Amazon purge, but was expecting very little of and therefore enjoyed!
Maybe during an eventual re-watch I will be able ao appreciate the series for what it is instead of what I wanted it to be! I want that, because it's quality stuff.
Absolutely, I would be very sad if this season became the prequel for one of the best shows never made.
Yeah, I like the direction that has been set up. Seeing Phos' childlike eyes and innocence in that flashback only to come back to her weary expression was very well done and very effective. As for the Master, he probably has most of the answers to the questions the viewers may have, so Phos will probably take a while to confront him I think.
Yeah, that was really, really nicely done. With the master, I think the gems are likely of the opinion that he knows better and if he's keeping secrets there's a reason and it's better to continue a relatively carefree and tolerable existence now, than challenge him, find the truth and be confronted with the despair of reality. Following this set up season, it feels very much like the next phase would be the rebellion headed by Phos following discoveries of some truths of this world. Definitely inspired to read the manga now so surprised if that didn't help sales and increase interest - is that why it's on hiatus and anyone have any insight into the potential future of the manga and series?

Episode 12

"I'm jealous of my old self, of my innocence."

And so we come to the end, or rather the arbitrary stopping point dictated by the all-powerful TV studios. First-time viewers: welcome to the land of frustration; this is the end of the line. We at least were able to see a complete arc of sorts, with Phos changing to the point of being practically a different person. It's sad that these changes only made her into the person she needed to be in order to fulfil her new objective, since it's been nothing but an avalanche of misfortune for her, and as we leave the series still no good has come of it.

Aside from that one shaky note of completion, everything else is pure tease. We discover that almost every lunarian they've encountered so far has been suffering from a severe case of Hypnotised Eye Disorder (Diagnostic Manual of Anime Diseases, 1st ed). Notably, the only exception was Shiro, who was seemingly acting of his own free will. This begs the question of who hypnotised the lunarians, and why. Perhaps Sensei has a counterpart on the moon? Maybe an old friend/rival/lover/enemy (delete as appropriate)? From a narrative perspective, it would make sense for there to be two equal and opposite characters, with Sensei encouraging growth in the gems, while this theoretical Anti-Sensei enslaves the lunarians. That would make sense in a story that leans heavily into themes of identity and self-actualisation.

So will we ever see another season? These 12 episodes adapted five volumes, and another six are now in print, so there's enough material. As with everything though, it comes down to time and money. I have a feeling that Orange are turning into one of Netflix's pet studios, so who knows if they'll ever have time to do another project for anyone else.

First time viewer! Episode 12!

This series was so good I wish there was more! I thoroughly enjoyed it, I'll give it a solid 8/10.

I must admit I was expecting the new Ruby gem person to stick around for a bit longer, but it seemed they stuck around just long enough to tell Phos to tread carefully. Uncovering the truth would be a potentially eye-opening experience, but drags everyone into it.

Phos resumes turning into a butterfly sanctuary Lunarian vigil. Bort teaming up with another quite young gem is an interesting dynamic, Bort isn't very conversational but when they do speak their words carry weight.

I enjoyed how much Alex didn't seem to care about their records that much, they have it all memorised so just keep paper copies for posterity. In the end it's Phos that brings Alex to despair, despite not having a great long term memory. I enjoyed seeing Alex dressed like the master just to seem more like a sensei.

I have to agree with Alex's assessment though, the Lunarians aren't to be liked, they have stolen gem people at every chance. We don't know why yet, but kidnapping gem people doesn't make any motive understandable.

When Phos was trying to capture a Lunarian I wondered why this was the first time they had tried, it seems hundreds or thousands of years have passed, and not a single Lunarian has been captured for study. I think Cinnabar killed the Lunarian despite Phos asking them not to, because they know that the truth will hurt the gem people collectively.

Cinnabar is also correct when reading into things further that Phos has strayed from the original Phos they knew, both in persona and approach. The new Phos is not the same as the old.

I am kind of disappointed with the ending as it leaves such a huge cliff-hanger, and no conclusion in sight.

Series 2 of the anime seems to have no news, how is the manga doing?

This series was so good I wish there was more! I thoroughly enjoyed it, I'll give it a solid 8/10.

I must admit I was expecting the new Ruby gem person to stick around for a bit longer, but it seemed they stuck around just long enough to tell Phos to tread carefully. Uncovering the truth would be a potentially eye-opening experience, but drags everyone into it.

Phos resumes turning into a butterfly sanctuary Lunarian vigil. Bort teaming up with another quite young gem is an interesting dynamic, Bort isn't very conversational but when they do speak their words carry weight.

I enjoyed how much Alex didn't seem to care about their records that much, they have it all memorised so just keep paper copies for posterity. In the end it's Phos that brings Alex to despair, despite not having a great long term memory. I enjoyed seeing Alex dressed like the master just to seem more like a sensei.

I have to agree with Alex's assessment though, the Lunarians aren't to be liked, they have stolen gem people at every chance. We don't know why yet, but kidnapping gem people doesn't make any motive understandable.

When Phos was trying to capture a Lunarian I wondered why this was the first time they had tried, it seems hundreds or thousands of years have passed, and not a single Lunarian has been captured for study. I think Cinnabar killed the Lunarian despite Phos asking them not to, because they know that the truth will hurt the gem people collectively.

Cinnabar is also correct when reading into things further that Phos has strayed from the original Phos they knew, both in persona and approach. The new Phos is not the same as the old.

I am kind of disappointed with the ending as it leaves such a huge cliff-hanger, and no conclusion in sight.

Series 2 of the anime seems to have no news, how is the manga doing?

Episode 12

I love that the show comes full circle and addresses the promise Phos made at the start to Cinnabar and its heartbreaking to see. Phos only has fragments of memories and Cinnabars frustrations pour out. In that sense this is a satisfying finale as it allows a pause to fully appreciate everything Phos has gone through and the drastic changes they've undertaken as a result.

I also like that tucked in amongst Phos' story we see just how the changes are spilling out into the Gem community as a whole. Bort has a new apprentice, they have cuddly toys (the first non functional item they seem to possess). Yellow Diamond seems to feel the change in the air and gets nostalgic for a while.

The tease with the Lunanrians and that they actually have eyes is the big tease and draw for a season 2 and really do hope it gets one one day.

It feels like a setup series
The issue is that if they strayed away from the source people would be up in arms over it. It happens every time. So you're left trying to find the best stopping point about 12 episodes of manga into an ongoing story that doesn't have to worry about season breaks. All things considered having a point which allows for reflection over the course of the season whilst paying off the initial Phos Cinnabar promise with Cinnabar agreeing to help Phos in spite if what Phos has become is a pretty big deal in it's own way.

I'd also just like to say this simulwatch has been a lot of fun. The more the merrier as they say and that's certainly true when discussing a great show with a lot to talk about.

I'm not satisfied with how this has ended. It was next to impossible for this to end satisfactorily, but I hoped for a bit more, still.

I agree but I refer to what @WMD said as well, it's hard to find a good stopping point potentially mid-flow. Clearly a lot of effort has gone into making this the show it is, so I hope that groundwork helps to make Season 2 a reality.

Following this set up season, it feels very much like the next phase would be the rebellion headed by Phos following discoveries of some truths of this world. Definitely inspired to read the manga now so surprised if that didn't help sales and increase interest - is that why it's on hiatus and anyone have any insight into the potential future of the manga and series?

I do truly hope this isn't just a plot to sell more of the manga. I am an anime > manga person, so I always prefer the former. I can certainly appreciate that sometimes a manga is too long to get a good/solid anime adaptation, but in this case I think the anime could follow the manga source without being stretched too thin.

This begs the question of who hypnotised the lunarians, and why. Perhaps Sensei has a counterpart on the moon? Maybe an old friend/rival/lover/enemy (delete as appropriate)?

I touched on that a little in the previous episode, like it's his wife on the moon who sent Shiro back to him as it was proving too hard to look after Shiro with everything else going on. I feel like the master is heavily intertwined with the Lunarian activites, dare I say it, he feels like a Lunarian who left.

The issue is that if they strayed away from the source people would be up in arms over it. It happens every time. So you're left trying to find the best stopping point about 12 episodes of manga into an ongoing story that doesn't have to worry about season breaks.

My first comment on this post briefly mentions this, but I agree this would be a challenge, especially if the manga does not have a solid exit point. I really want a season 2 though.

I'd also just like to say this simulwatch has been a lot of fun. The more the merrier as they say and that's certainly true when discussing a great show with a lot to talk about.

As this is the final episode and I forgot to add this, I would also like to say thanks to all of the people who shared in the experience. I enjoyed discussing this and seeing what people thought as went along.

Thanks also to @Birdie Num Num for sharing the artwork, it was fantastic to see them dedicated to each episode, the concept art great!

@Geriatric hedgehog Looking around real quick (Wikipedia, the fandom etc), it seems like it sold just ok (the manga sold progressively better) , blu ray sold acceptably too, but nothing that would light the world on fire.

By virtue of the type of work it is, it doesn't seem like the kind of thing that will ever hit the mainstream. As long as it doesn't get canceled, I'm cool.

Found this Twitter account

States we should be getting news in 10 days. It's been 80 days since the beginning of the hiatus. It's got that kind of spreadsheet like the fans do for HxH and Berserk showing times between chapters and such.

@WMD

If we narrow it down to a self-contained, partially original story or a story that follows the manga, but ends like this, I'll pick being left hanging every time, for sure. Also, still can't believe you did it all in Spanish, madre de dios carajo! The 🐐 💪!

Agreed on the simulwatch bit, it was very entertaining taking part in this with everyone, and it's definitely something I would like to continue doing. Hope we get some of the titles on my backlog on the watchlist eventually! I feel too silly buying new stuff otherwise (👀 nervously eyeing new mvm monogatari titles without even having watched a single episode 👀).

Special shout-out to @Birdie Num Num and the artbook pics. Great choices and great initiative!

@Lordhippos Yeah, it's a stunning show all things considered, and I'm happy I got to watch it all the way through. I'm salty, but that'll pass and I'll eventually re-watch it. I admit part of the blame is my own as I've said that when I create expectations, it can kinda sour me on stuff if what I want doesn't happen. I'm like that irl too, so I can be an annoying little f°ck lol

I'll just be over there replaying episode 10 in my head.

@Geriatric hedgehog Looking around real quick (Wikipedia, the fandom etc), it seems like it sold just ok (the manga sold progressively better) , blu ray sold acceptably too, but nothing that would light the world on fire.

By virtue of the type of work it is, it doesn't seem like the kind of thing that will ever hit the mainstream. As long as it doesn't get canceled, I'm cool.

Found this Twitter account

States we should be getting news in 10 days. It's been 80 days since the beginning of the hiatus. It's got that kind of spreadsheet like the fans do for HxH and Berserk showing times between chapters and such.

@WMD

If we narrow it down to a self-contained, partially original story or a story that follows the manga, but ends like this, I'll pick being left hanging every time, for sure. Also, still can't believe you did it all in Spanish, madre de dios carajo! The 🐐 💪!

Agreed on the simulwatch bit, it was very entertaining taking part in this with everyone, and it's definitely something I would like to continue doing. Hope we get some of the titles on my backlog on the watchlist eventually! I feel too silly buying new stuff otherwise (👀 nervously eyeing new mvm monogatari titles without even having watched a single episode 👀).

Special shout-out to @Birdie Num Num and the artbook pics. Great choices and great initiative!

@Lordhippos Yeah, it's a stunning show all things considered, and I'm happy I got to watch it all the way through. I'm salty, but that'll pass and I'll eventually re-watch it. I admit part of the blame is my own as I've said that when I create expectations, it can kinda sour me on stuff if what I want doesn't happen. I'm like that irl too, so I can be an annoying little f°ck lol

I'll just be over there replaying episode 10 in my head.

May i be the first to say that Monogatari is sublime? If I give this an 8/10, Monogatari is 10/10 for me. I haven't seen loads of shows but it really stands out.

I can see why Monogatari may not be for everyone, but if it's for you, I whole heartedly recommend trying it.

Land of the Lustrous is fantastic, but as of yet unfinished. Monogatari could end where it is now and I'd not be at all disappointed in how it ends.

Last edited:
Also, still can't believe you did it all in Spanish, madre de dios carajo! The 🐐 💪!
Haha cheers. Every now and then I like to watch something in Spanish to practice and keep up with it. Generally its fine but sometimes there cam be lot of specific, not everyday language which can make it harder. This show definitely took a few episodes to get used to (especially as I couldn't turn on subtitles). Theres a lot of uncommon words and show specific language to get your head around but I'm glad I persevered. The voice actors did a great job of matching the characters personalities.

Also meant to add that if theres stuff you want to watch in a simulwatch just throw it into the main simulwatch thread and if enough people bite then it'll happen at some point.

Having seen this series 5-6 times now, I didn’t rewatch it for this simulwatch, but it has been a lot of fun reading the thread and seeing the reaction from first-time viewers.

Land of the Lustrous ended up being my favourite show of the decade, soundly surpassing the likes of From the New World, Penguindrum and Attack on Titan. It took me a while to come to that conclusion, but given how the show is a lot more repeatable than some of those examples, I’ve had more time to marinade in its themes. Plus, unlike many adaptations, my interest in seeing it end partway through didn’t diminish over time. In fact, the wait for a continuation only increased my interest to the point where I broke and picked up the manga, something of a rarity for me. It honestly reminds me of getting into Evangelion in the very early 00’s, both before I had internet access or dvd’s were available. Instead, I was entirely reliant on the old vhs tapes, which I discovered mid-way through had several volumes completely OOP. There’s nothing like scarcity and being told you can’t have more of something to make a person even more obsessed.

While I agree the lacklustre non-ending is easily the most disappointing aspect of the show, having read further into the manga, it’s also honestly the best stopping point they could have achieved, as the twists and spiral out of control are pretty much relentless from this point on. So instead we get a space to breathe that hints at potential future plots.

So where does this leave any possible continuation? The short answer is I have no real answer. The series sold well in Japan, and to the best of my knowledge helped boost sales of the manga. There was also not enough material for a second season by the time it wrapped up at the end of 2017. That means any potential work would have to be held off for at least a year, while any future production would also take some time (the first series took around 3 years of pre/production to fully realize). Despite the impression of cg as a cheap quick alternative to ‘hand drawn’ animation, quality work is a considerably long process, especially in generating assets, and any further series would need to create entirely new locations, etc.

That said, as has been made clear by Beastars and the new Godzilla co-pro with Bones, Studio Orange have moved onto other things, and there’s no hints of whether they’re chugging away at pre-production for more Land of the Lustrous in the background. The sad reality is that most anime made these days are adaptations created solely for the purpose of promoting the source material or generating merch, & maybe there just isn’t enough of an incentive to make more. I could easily see it happening if Netflix picked the show up like they did with Beastars, but instead Amazon got it, and while the show definitely has a cult following in the west (as evidenced by the constant pleas for more on Orange’s English twitter account), the show clearly didn’t receive the exposure it deserved over here, which might mean a lack of financial incentive to carry on.

If people are still interested, I would easily recommend the manga, which is also superb. The bright colours of the anime are replaced by stark black and white delineations, but both approaches are incredibly striking in their own ways, The anime covers roughly 4 ½ volumes, so I’d start at volume 5 if you find yourself needing more. Currently there are 10 volumes out in the west, with the 11th looking like seeing an August release. As of this moment the Japanese release has gone of hiatus a few volumes away from a 12th volume, although it is planned to return. Given how much the scale of the story has increased, I suspect Haruko Ichikawa needs time to finalize her thoughts on the final direction/conclusion of the story.

Having stayed away from translated releases, I will say this of the 10 volumes currently available: many of the lingering questions will get answered, but if you’re expecting a happier tone, oh booooy… Let’s just say the road to hell is paved with good intentions, and the increasingly sombre nature of Phos’ story reflects that.

EwoC1FAXMAQDZOW.jpg

See you in the abyss.

Last edited:
Having seen this series 5-6 times now, I didn’t rewatch it for this simulwatch, but it has been a lot of fun reading the thread and seeing the reaction from first-time viewers.

Land of the Lustrous ended up being my favourite show of the decade, soundly surpassing the likes of From the New World, Penguindrum and Attack on Titan. It took me a while to come to that conclusion, but given how the show is a lot more repeatable than some of those examples, I’ve had more time to marinade in its themes. Plus, unlike many adaptations, my interest in seeing it end partway through didn’t diminish over time. In fact, the wait for a continuation only increased my interest to the point where I broke and picked up the manga, something of a rarity for me. It honestly reminds me of getting into Evangelion in the very early 00’s, both before I had internet access or dvd’s were available. Instead, I was entirely reliant on the old vhs tapes, which I discovered mid-way through had several volumes completely OOP. There’s nothing like scarcity and being told you can’t have more of something to make a person even more obsessed.

While I agree the lacklustre non-ending is easily the most disappointing aspect of the show, having read further into the manga, it’s also honestly the best stopping point they could have achieved, as the twists and spiral out of control are pretty much relentless from this point on. So instead we get a space to breathe that hints at potential future plots.

So where does this leave any possible continuation? The short answer is I have no real answer. The series sold well in Japan, and to the best of my knowledge helped boost sales of the manga. There was also not enough material for a second season by the time it wrapped up at the end of 2017. That means any potential work would have to be held off for at least a year, while any future production would also take some time (the first series took around 3 years of pre/production to fully realize). Despite the impression of cg as a cheap quick alternative to ‘hand drawn’ animation, quality work is a considerably long process, especially in generating assets, and any further series would need to create entirely new locations, etc.

That said, as has been made clear by Beastars and the new Godzilla co-pro with Bones, Studio Orange have moved onto other things, and there’s no hints of whether they’re chugging away at pre-production for more Land of the Lustrous in the background. The sad reality is that most anime made these days are adaptations created solely for the purpose of promoting the source material or generating merch, & maybe there just isn’t enough of an incentive to make more. I could easily see it happening if Netflix picked the show up like they did with Beastars, but instead Amazon got it, and while the show definitely has a cult following in the west (as evidenced by the constant pleas for more on Orange’s English twitter account), the show clearly didn’t receive the exposure it deserved over here, which might mean a lack of financial incentive to carry on.

If people are still interested, I would easily recommend the manga, which is also superb. The bright colours of the anime are replaced by stark black and white delineations, but both approaches are incredibly striking in their own ways, The anime covers roughly 4 ½ volumes, so I’d recommend starting at volume 5 if you find yourself needing more. Currently there are 10 volumes out in the west, with the 11th looking like seeing an August release. As of this moment the Japanese release has gone of hiatus a few volumes away from a 12th volume, although it is planned to return. Given how much the scale of the story has increased, I suspect Haruko Ichikawa needs time to finalize her thoughts on the final direction/conclusion of the story.

Having stayed away from translated releases, I will say this of the 10 volumes currently available: many of the lingering questions will get answered, but if you’re expecting a happier tone, oh booooy… Let’s just say the road to hell is paved with good intentions, and the increasingly sombre nature of Phos’ story reflects that.

View attachment 17599

See you in the abyss.

I'd not mind reading the manga if we get a conclusion, but if that is also on hiatus I don't want to disappoint myself again with an abrupt ending, as you so rightly said, waiting for more adaptation might be the best idea!

So, yeah... we've reached the end of our 12 episodes.

My girlfriend and I both thoroughly enjoyed our time with Land of the Lustrous. It's a lot to take in, and I really wouldn't know how to sum it all up. The best I can do is to say this: I read back over the posts in the MVM thread by @fathomlessblue that really kick-started the whole idea, and you know what? It's all true.

I'd wondered if perhaps that level of praise was stretching things a bit, but no: it really does have that much depth, and it genuinely is that good. My girlfriend for one is already looking forward to rewatching it. So am I. And it'll be a very different experience, watching it again; I already got that impression from the satisfying way that the final episode reprises the beginning of the first, and we compare where Phos stands now versus where she was then. It's a whole world away.

I really hope there could be a continuation of the anime one day. For now there's the manga that we'd like to get hold of, but it seems that a couple of volumes are rather scarce at the moment. Hopefully a reprint is in the works.

In the meantime, for anyone else left a bit hanging and wanting a bit of further reading, here's an in-depth article on Sentai Filmworks' website that my girlfriend found:
I haven't read it myself yet, but now that the series is complete I will.

I'll take this chance as well to say how much fun it's been to take part in this simulwatch and to read all your thoughts and bounce ideas around. It's great to have had so many people involved, too! This has been far and away the busiest simulwatch I've taken part in, and I'm already looking forward to seeing some of y'all again for the next one starting only next week.

It's been priceless.

This is definitely one of those shows that desperately needs a second season to continue the story, but then again there's so many shows just like this with cliff-hanger endings that need a second season. And if I had to pick a show that I absolutely want to see above all others, the rest of the source material adapted into a second season, then my first pick would still be Girls' Last Tour season 2. However Land of the Lustrous would certainly be within my top five picks for wanting a second season.

This is definitely one of those shows that desperately needs a second season to continue the story, but then again there's so many shows just like this with cliff-hanger endings that need a second season. And if I had to pick a show that I absolutely want to see above all others, the rest of the source material adapted into a second season, then my first pick would still be Girls' Last Tour season 2. However Land of the Lustrous would certainly be within my top five picks for wanting a second season.

Oh man I absolutely loved GLT, it was bleak, but it was so atmospheric. I read the manga but must admit that didn't really end the story, so for me it's kind of sad that neither the GLT anime nor the manga really end all that conclusively.

Still want to pick up the CE for GLT though when I can, even if it doesn't have a proper end...

Oh man I absolutely loved GLT, it was bleak, but it was so atmospheric. I read the manga but must admit that didn't really end the story, so for me it's kind of sad that neither the GLT anime nor the manga really end all that conclusively.

Still want to pick up the CE for GLT though when I can, even if it doesn't have a proper end...
I thought the ending of the GLT manga was fairly conclusive. Absolute Girl's Last Tour spoiler, don't look here unless you have read the entire manga: They get to the top, find nothing but a large block and after losing everything in trying to complete the journey they then die in their sleep.

Back