Don't go to pieces! Land of the Lustrous simulwatch (completed)

But I was very, very wrong; Bort isn't the type to waste time and opportunity on some petty jealousy. Her narrowed eyes were in fact down to the gears turning in her mind as she witnessed the new Phos's potential. "Hmm... we can work with this."

It honestly left me feeling like I wanted to apologise to a fictional character; I felt bad for having doubted her.
I'm in exactly the same boat! Loved the way the show misdirected the audience and completely smashed that cliche!

Also I forgot to mention how Bort's hair is pretty cool and nicely animated whilst they're walking with Phos. Makes me wonder if they could get as big as Sensei in size if they cut it and incorporated it into their body...

Episode 9&10

Phos really seems to be suffering PTSD, it's like they're walking around in a daze during the day and avoiding sleep because of what dreams come at night. I like that the show still managed a little gag with Alexandrite's nap being disturbed during the chase though, it stopped the episode from being just too dark, I think. I also liked the shot of Diamond's vase vibrating before Shiro struck; it may well be referencing something from a Japanese kaiju film, but my mind immediately went to the ripples in the water cup in Jurassic Park.

Speaking of nods to movies, it's a bit of a stretch, but this piece of concept art

rather put me in mind of a famous shot from the Soviet sci-fi film, Stalker.

stalker1.jpg

Episode 11
And so we come to the most pressing question in the series: is Shiro a good boy or a very good boy? The show once again displays its talent for going from drama to comedy and back again, as we switch from the intensity of the last episode to fluffballs running around. It's unclear if Shiro visited Sensei because he knew he was dying, or if he found peace because he was reunited with Sensei.

We now know three things about the gems:
Everyone loves Sensei
Everyone suspects Sensei, and yet:
Everyone chooses to trust Sensei*

*except Phos

We don't get an explanation for why Lexi freaked out, and I suspect that the adaptation is starting to rush things a bit. I haven't read the manga yet, but based on chapter titles and volume 5 starting with the butterfly scene, it looks like that whole volume is crammed into little more than an episode.

Episode 11

"¿Se vuelve a la luna?"
"No...se encontro la paz"

A more pensive epsiode this time. Spiced up with some early action and some cute fun time. The show has always left questions hanging about Sensei but now we know he has some larger connection to the Lunarians. Its amusing that shiro goes from terrifying to cute, back to terrifying and back to cute in about 10 mins of runtime. What a rollercoaster! I also liked that his fur was so soft everyone had to sleep in it!

I also like how Phos comes up with the radical idea of everyone taking turns working with Bort as the experience would only make the group stronger. It's crazy that such a small group who live for so long are so separated that this has never happened in 3000 odd years!

And at the end we have a bit of a Dr Frankenstein moment with a new gem awaking after getting their body completed. Though I dont see why they couldnt have just cut some of their massive hair to fill gaps. Maybe I missed something.

Last edited:
First time viewer! Episode 11!

Before I forget let me first of all say that I absolutely love the way the JPN voice actors say "fluffy". Somehow the word sounds even fluffier than it does in English!

Second thing I wanted to say was that I am genuinely sad to be reaching the end in just 1 more episode. Any news on a season 2? This show has been a real gem to watch!

What started as a very tense continuation of the previous episode quickly turns into the cutest thing you can imagine. I mean if I wanted heaven, it would be somewhere where I could be surrounded by an army of small fluffy dogs!

Alex's transformation into a berserker is hilarious. Real Highlander "There can be ONLY ONE!" vibes!

I guessed that the master would know more about this creature, but I didn't get that it was his pet "Shiro". Finally a name that I can use! sadly just in time for Shiro to disappear.

The gem people quickly caught on to the fact the master and Shiro had a connection, but the master dutifully ignored any questions about it by falling asleep meditating.

Phos has latched onto the idea (finally!) that the master knows more than he's telling them all. Cinnabar turns it into a case of you were the last to find out baka, showing how ignorant Phos was before.

The scene where Phos started flowing gold everywhere was intense, as I saw it, figuratively speaking, the cracks started to appear.

The gems all sleeping in the fur was like slumber party part 2! very kawaii! 😴

Phos is resolved to turn into a butterfly sanctuary learn the truth! Shows how little time matters to the gem people, standing vigil for 10 days waiting to be first in line to contact the Lunarians.

Poor Dia though! Going through all that and missed the fluffy dogs! But this has turned into the invention of plushies so all is not lost.

Is this the first we've seen of that Ruby gem? I don't remember seeing it talked about before? Cliff hanger again wondering what they will say and do upon awakening!

Side Notes:
  • It kind of felt like Shiro was sent back to be with the master as some kind of strange divorce thing. No longer able to keep the dog on the moon due to a scenario we are not aware of, the dog is sent to live with the dad instead.
  • The doctor commented that something odd must be happening on the moon as Shiro was an extraordinary event. I believe I said much the same in a previous episode of some kind, something is going on with the Lunarians back on the moon(s).
  • Anyone else notice the holes in the chest of the Red gem looked a lot like the holes in the Kinder Egg Lunarians when they cut them open to see what's inside?
  • If I exam the behaviour of Shiro, he has never really been the aggressor. He was attacked as he appeared, and when he made it back to the school, he was being prevented from finding the master. I think later on he's more playful as he's realised the gem people can be nice too (when he is a bunch of small fluffy dogs).

Last edited:
Is this the first we've seen of that Ruby gem? I don't remember seeing it talked about before?
Yep, that's right. That's a new character we're being introduced to there.

The highlight of this episode for me was my girlfriend's reaction to the fluffy dogs. 😄

And look, someone's only gone and made real-life plushies of them:
Land-of-the-Lustrous-Houseki-no-Kuni-plush-doll-anime-Diamond-Phosphophyllite-Dog-Inu-Shiro-White.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp
Wait till she sees this. 😅

In other news, did anyone else think that Shiro's face resembled the mask of SEELE seen in Evangelion?
shiro-land-of-the-lustrous-138831.jpg
gVks1bPdphu3Bc6F5y5IUkoUV41iwi1SZhSFSadSCLUxBGiW4i1sNVfU4snMb7USRN9Eb0fmBqQ4XvSmybTjEa5175sYM26BYl2a0zGcLCIl14TkNJPMZkrHII4gzZt4JMk_DiyDYB0oBOSVMEjcaJOt

I imagine they're possibly both drawn from the same inspiration. An online translation of the cinema pamphlet for the Evangelion compilation film Death & Rebirth says:

SEELE's Coat of Arms
A mysterious insignia consisting of seven eyes on an inverted triangle. This same pattern was painted on the mask that covers Lilith's face. It is probably related to Yahweh, the absolute God of the Old Testament who is said to have seven eyes.

Last edited:
In other news, did anyone else think that Shiro's face resembled the mask of SEELE seen in Evangelion?

I think there are certainly a few NGE like inspirations going on, in fact in episode 1 I said:

"felt kind of NGE where an enemy would just appear out of the sky and attack them"

I don't know much about Asian religions but do they have deity figures with more than 2 eyes? I think the answer is yes but not really something I am familiar with.

I think there are certainly a few NGE like inspirations going on, in fact in episode 1 I said:

"felt kind of NGE where an enemy would just appear out of the sky and attack them
That's right! Yeah... 😀

I don't know much about Asian religions but do they have deity figures with more than 2 eyes? I think the answer is yes but not really something I am familiar with.
Hmmm, me neither, I'm afraid. 🤔

Anyone else know? I can think of Hindu deities with multiple arms, but...

Episode 11
Really great episode, the monster seems to be little more than a pet named Shiro. Recalling how he appeared last episode, I get the feeling that he wasn't send by the Lunarians at all. He probably managed to escape and simply ended up "playing" with Bort, Phos and Diamond.

Quite intrigued when Alex stated that she wasn't supposed to look at the Lunarians. This actually makes it all the more intriguing that she documents them, without seeing them first hand. But we also get to see the reason. She goes a little berserk when she does. Straight from Wikipedia:
(...) alexandrite appears greenish in daylight where the full spectrum of visible light is present, and reddish in incandescent light which emits less green and blue spectrum

It was also interesting to see how the gems effectively failed to defeat Shiro when he transformed into his 101 dalmatians form. If only the Lunarians knew this earlier(!) Not sure how they didn't foresee that putting them all together would result in Shiro regaining his big scary form.

The core of the episode was Phos overhearing the master talk to Shiro. One sentence that not only established that he knew the monster, but also was concerned about his well-being. Naturally this leads Phos to doubt the Master's true intentions and what more he might be hiding. Cinnabar luckily spells it out that effectively everyone has their doubts about the Master and Phos is just late to the party. I'm actually quite glad, as I would honestly be more surprised if they all didn't suspect at least something.

This probably also explains the somewhat strange reaction from the other gems several episodes ago when Phos explained that she wanted to fight, because she loved the master. If you harbour some doubt towards him, but go along anyway, you'd never consider that "out of love", but more "the best option for now".

Phos decides that she wants to find out the truth. Going to face the master, we see (some of) the gems sleeping against the fluffy Shiro. This again shows the trust they place in the Master and pits Phos against them as well (in a way). Before she brings up the point, she realizes that even Antarcticite trusted the master, and this persuades her from actually going through with that. Instead she plans to go right to the source: the Lunarians. If anyone is able to talk to them, it should be Phos. This is actually something I wondered before with Octowaifu. She seemed to converse with the Lunarians, but no speech was heard (by us or Phos). That left me wondering if Phos could actually talk with them or not.

What really stood out is the courage Phos needed after starting to doubt the master. Up until this point he was pivotal in her world. At the start her self-worth even seemed to depend on her getting a job assigned by him (preferably battle orientated). Phos tries to follow in Antarcticite's footsteps, who clearly admired the master. And yet, she suddenly needs to rethink that perspective.

Really looking forward to the next and sadly last episode. There are way too many open points and even getting a new character introduced, doesn't really bode well for a conclusive end. I hope that at the very least they can manage to find some narrative closure. Though regardless, it will leave me wanting more.

Really looking forward to the next and sadly last episode. There are way too many open points and even getting a new character introduced, doesn't really bode well for a conclusive end. I hope that at the very least they can manage to find some narrative closure. Though regardless, it will leave me wanting more.

Yep definitely can't see them wrapping all of this up in 1 episode, but I for one would love more of it.

Episode 11: Secrets

Some suspicions arise between Kongō and the invading and multiplying Lunarian. Phos beginning to doubt her master and the conflict it brings showcases the dynamics at play - especially any reluctance to distrust Kongō even when it would be reasonable to.

The Gems have consistently shown a lack of imagination. In fact this latest episode even had Phos suggesting everyone should train/work with Bort for the experience. It's crazy that's never even been considered before now.

I get the impression they act like we do, but they also take far, far longer to do it. Because there is no impetus to do something before time runs out for it to be done, or to change if things are working, Phos is the only one who seems to want to make changes to the status quo.

So what might take a person years to do, for a gem person could be hundreds of years or more!

I get the impression they act like we do, but they also take far, far longer to do it. Because there is no impetus to do something before time runs out for it to be done, or to change if things are working, Phos is the only one who seems to want to make changes to the status quo.

So what might take a person years to do, for a gem person could be hundreds of years or more!
Yeah I imagine early on there was a fair bit of innovation when they are first around and initially learn to fight and defend themselves and create the swords. We know several of the early gems were lost but once they managed to defend themselves they seem to have settled down and maintained a fairly constant livestyle never pushing the boat out too far.

Episode 11 and actually Episode 12 too, because the disc takes forever to load and I don't have the patience to stare at a black screen for 5 minutes. I don't see myself revisiting this series anytime soon because of disc problems and it's a shame.

Anyway

Ok, you got me. I was frowning at yet another mood shift, because as I said before, I'm cool with drama and there's a lot of potential for that here, but they nailed it, it was a funny little scene.

And we got to learn a bit more about the Master, and that's a big plus.

It's still weird seeing Phos like this, it feels unnatural.

Loved the way paparazzi was presented in the coffin, reminded me of a Phoenix.

I'll be back tomorrow to read everyone's final thoughts and talk a bit about the overall series!

Speaking of nods to movies, it's a bit of a stretch, but this piece of concept art

rather put me in mind of a famous shot from the Soviet sci-fi film, Stalker.
Goooood spot on that potential Stalker inspiration! I completely didn't put that together despite that being by far my favourite poster/shot from that movie, but now I can't unsee the similarity.
Though I dont see why they couldnt have just cut some of their massive hair to fill gaps. Maybe I missed something.
Yup didn't get it either and was wondering the same including earlier when imagining the potential uses of repurposing Bort's hair (I'm currently running with the idea of protein shakes for some of that Bort vigour).

So we go from horror & grief in the last episode to comedy and contemplation in this one. Poor Dia missed out on all the fuufuu time whilst all the other lazy bones had a great time have a fluffy pyjama party rather than fixing her up, disgraceful!

Is it now being implied that the Lunarians are ghosts or unrequited spirits inhabiting the physical realm until they get peace? Sensei certainly seems to display sympathy as opposed to anger or aggression whenever interacting with them, even despite the heavy losses they've inflicted on the gems. And the music on Shiro's departure really tugged at the heartstrings.

More questions, & more characters. This season seems more like an introduction to this saga, whetting our appetites, whilst leaving us wanting much more. Regardless it has been well worth the time, what a fascinating show.

And Episode 12

I'm not satisfied with how this has ended. It was next to impossible for this to end satisfactorily, but I hoped for a bit more, still.

I mean, the Master is a lunarian (or heavily implied to be) but nothing else comes of it, Phos almost got to communicate with a lunarian but nope, paparazzi wakes up but only to tell Phos something real quick and then back to their beauty sleep...

The problem is I liked the series overall, I liked that Phos ended up being robbed of their innocence (the couple of flashbacks in this episode cut deep) and seeing them admit that they miss being their old selves is even sadder. But I don't want it to end there, I want to see the next step for these characters, what will become of Cinnabar, what the Master has to reveal, etc and etc and etc.

Thumbs up
  • Stunning series from an audiovisual perspective, even for CG skeptics; not afraid of color
  • Main character has an interesting arc
  • Lots of mystery
  • Overall interesting setup and setting
  • Potentially interesting characters and a lot of them

Horizontal "so-so" handwave
  • Most of those characters don't get developed at all
  • Old ass gems with centuries of life experience behaving like teenage girls when they had more than enough time for more existential musings (among other things), which would be reflected in their personalities
  • Constant mood shifts even when things aren't supposed to be so funny anymore can take a while to swallow (even if done correctly)

Thumbs down
  • It feels like a setup series
  • Not a lot of answers, and so, not very satisfying in that regard

Good series, but I'll be thinking about that second season for a bit, I think. And the manga being on hiatus is... You know, not great. Urgh.

Last edited:
Back