Don't go to pieces! Land of the Lustrous simulwatch (completed)

Dai

Pokémon Master
Hold onto your family jewels, because the next simulwatch will be:
Land of the Lustrous
1614107478581.png

This 12-episode TV series from 2017 adapts roughly the first five volumes of the manga Houseki no Kuni by Haruko Ichikawa.

"No matter what the odds, life will find a way to continue, with young Phos and the other gems as the ultimate proof. Instead of flesh, their bodies are made of living crystal, allowing them to survive in a world too toxic for any human. But their gem bodies also attract a terrible danger: the Lunarians, who hunt the gems and use their shattered forms to fabricate jewelry and ornaments. The gems with the strongest forms defend the others, but Phos is too weak and brittle to fight. Instead, Phos is ordered to compile an encyclopedia; but could that research discover hidden secrets that could help the gems? Join Phos, the toxic Cinnabar, the powerful Bort, the valiant Diamond, and others in a glittering world unlike anything you have seen before!"
Source: MVM's synopsis

Where to watch
Streaming on HiDive (subscription required)
UK blu-ray from MVM

When to watch
Since this is a fairly short series at 12 episodes, we will be watching one episode per day, with no days off for good behaviour.

Ep 1 - 05/03/2021Ep 7 - 11/03/2021
Ep 2 - 06/03/2021Ep 8 - 12/03/2021
Ep 3 - 07/03/2021Ep 9 - 13/03/2021
Ep 4 - 08/03/2021Ep 10 - 14/03/2021
Ep 5 - 09/03/2021Ep 11 - 15/03/2021
Ep 6 - 10/03/2021Ep 12 - 16/03/2021

Tune in from 5th March 2021

Last edited:
I'm glad we're not starting straight away, this gives me time to get over the fact that there actually is a character called 'Bort'.
1385f3612cc69bfe9dbac872440050d8.jpg

I might join in with this simulwatch as I have the series on Blu-ray (MVM's UK release), if I decide to watch along, I will sample the dub while watching the first episode and decide which language to watch it in for the purposes of the simulwatch (I've seen the entire series subbed before but who knows the dub could be really good too) :)

Putting my name down here to say of course I'm looking forward to watching this and tagging along with the commentary! :)

I've heard good things, its one I wanted to watch for a little while. I don't know much about it, except that it's all CGI (I think).

Might tag along as well. Haven't watched it yet and was always a bit on the fence due to it being CG, though wanted to give it a shot at some point. So what better excuse than this :)

What would be the rules regarding spoilers? Would it be a free for all on spoilers regarding the episode of that day or still make use of spoiler tags for every comment taking about what happened in the episode?

What would be the rules regarding spoilers? Would it be a free for all on spoilers regarding the episode of that day or still make use of spoiler tags for every comment taking about what happened in the episode?

Great question, as a first time watcher I'd hate to see spoilers for future episodes, but part of me thinks we shouldn't need to spoiler tag the episode for that day, on that day.

Just avoiding coming to this thread until I've seen the episode for that day would be acceptable to me. I guess there is some convention for how this is done here historically.

The way weve done it before is only talk about stuff in the current day's (or earlier) episode. So if you know the series or are watching ahead dont mention stuff. Wait until the day to bring it up.

We dont do spoiler tags, just limit discussion up to the current episode.

So yeah best to avoid the thread until you've watched that days episode to avoid spoilers for the current one as well.

What would be the rules regarding spoilers?
Yep, exactly what @WMD said.

What I would also suggest is that if you've seen the show before and aren't sure whether something you're about to bring up in your post has been covered by the simulwatch episodes so far, play it safe and put it in a spoiler tag or inline spoiler blur. That makes it safer for everyone else. 🙂

We're now hours away from the start of the simulwatch, so it's time to perform the ancient summoning ritual for those who showed an interest in participating.

blows dust off the necronomicon

Fill, fill, fill, fill, fill! Repeat five times. But destroy each when filled.

A base of @HWR and @Professor Irony . A foundation of @Geriatric hedgehog , and the Archduke of @RadFemHedonist . And my ancestor, my great master, @Neil.T .

A @WMD to block the falling wind. The gates of @João Gomes close. From the Crown, come forth and follow the forked road to @Lordhippos .

I hereby propose. My will shall create @Robin91 's body, And @Vincentdante 's sword shall create my fate. Abiding by the summons of the Simulwatch. If thou dost accede to this will and reason, answer me!

I hereby swear. I will be all that is good in the eternal world. I will be the disposer of evil in the eternal world. @IdiomaticLynx , clad with the Great Trinity. Come forth from the circle of constraints. @CommanderZx2 of the Heavenly Scales!

Instructions unclear, I have materialized as the orphan child of Yog-Sothoth as I feast on the blood of livestock.

I been debating on whether I should watch it tonight to post my thoughts tomorrow after sleeping on it, or if I should give a freash take after watching it tomorrow night.

Back