Doctor Who Discussion

I'm a bit late to the party here so, first off my thoughts on the colourisation of the Daleks, I had already seen the original multiple times and knew that it is an absolute classic but the colourisation of the Daleks geniunely suprised me with it's presentation, with the new music it felt like a hybrid of the classic and new series which made for a suprisingly epic expierience, also I spent too long observing the end bit where they show off the upcoming colourisations really hoping that they would reveal that they might have found some missing episodes, alas it's not looking like that's the case but they are colourising the surviving clips as well by the looks so that's cool.

Also I wasn't planning to watch Adventures in Time and Space but ended up giving it a chance and, while I normally can't stand based on true story dramas, this was actually a good true story to adapt, covering William Hartnell's career as The Doctor and giving a dramatisation of a behind the scenes look at a programme that didn't do behind the scenes at the time it aired, sure the presentation is typical for a drama, but I'd watch this any day over all those "new drama" programmes that plague british telly.

As for The Star Beast, I did enjoy my time with it, I'd probably need to see the other two specials before I can definitively say that the series is back in action, especially as this one felt like it was easing the viewers in a bit before the, supposedly, much darker next two specials, one of which has the Celestial Toymaker who's only story before the new one has only got one surviving episode left in the archive.

I was indifferent to both the Daleks colourisation and The Star Beast. I’m just holding out for another Collection boxset announcement between now, maybe another animation too.

The daleks colorization felt rushed the gaps I noticed really noticed. Calling it classic who feels disingenuous, Star Beast was good but was an epilogue to Journey’s End/ End of Time. I’m more excited for this weeks episode that has like no marketing and looks like a base under siege and the camp NPH Toymaker looks like he will be.

The fact Series 1-4 is now in the correct speed in HD in the new BDs is the best part of the 60th for me tbh.

Was very happy with The Star Beast (if we ignore the last 5 minutes) but man Wild Blue Yonder was a bit of a miss for me. Some interesting concepts but I feel it'd probably work better as a standard season episode. Hopefully they'll stick the landing in the next one.

I think I loved it. Most experimental episode since Heaven Sent imo and maybe best since then. I wanted a different Russell this week and I think I got it, it’s if Midnight had a budget and was just about the Doctor and Donna not all the passengers. Also the fact that RTD gave the flux and timeless child some meaning (the doctor is still grieving over the change and destruction their origin and “mother” caused was brilliant)

Finished The Giggle. Well that was fun. Absolutely stupid but still a fun time until the last 10 minutes. Neil Patrick Harris was fantastic as the Toymaker and I liked the topic of the Doctor's trauma. Unfortunately I REALLY don't like the idea of bigeneration. Along with it being a stupid way to keep Tennant in the role it also overshadowed Gatwa's whole introduction. I will not be watching the inevitable Tennant spinoff no matter how good he is.

Overall I disagree with a lot of choices made in these specials but even at its most stupid I can't deny that it's a fun time. Oh RTD you've done it again.

Wild Blue Yonder was my favourite of the 60th anniversary specials. That one nailed the eerie atmosphere that's been missing from the show for the last few years, and it gave Tennant and Tate a chance to act their socks off as both heroes and villains.

Star Beast started well, but got shakier as it went along with its giant Furby story. Probably didn't help that I had no nostalgia for the old comic this story was based on.

The Giggle was somewhere in the middle. Its commentary on toxic online culture and opinion-as-dogma were welcome, but really needed fleshing out to an episode in itself. That element was dropped too quickly. The Toymaker's domain and his Spice-Girls-fuelled invasion of UNIT HQ were great. The game of catch was a massive anticlimax.

I'm fine with bigeneration, since if any incarnation of the Doctor needed a peaceful retirement, it was Tennant's eternally sad-behind-the-eyes version. Though when he told Donna and Mel to pull his arms I thought he was going to snap open like a Christmas cracker to reveal Ncuti Gatwa inside! What actually happened was just as weird, but less disturbing.

Ncuti hit the ground running with his joyous and affectionate take on the Doctor. The plot of the Christmas special looks a bit meh, but I'm looking forward to the next full series.

This is now the second time Tennant's Doctor has warped regeneration to propagate himself. Let's not forget the human version that was left behind at the end of series 2. Could this be part of a decades-long story arc where Tennant's Doctor turns out to be a self-replicating virus like Agent Smith?!

Just kidding. Or am I?

I'm fine with bigeneration, since if any incarnation of the Doctor needed a peaceful retirement, it was Tennant's eternally sad-behind-the-eyes version. Though when he told Donna and Mel to pull his arms I thought he was going to snap open like a Christmas cracker to reveal Ncuti Gatwa inside! What actually happened was just as weird, but less disturbing.[/ISPOILER]

Ncuti hit the ground running with his joyous and affectionate take on the Doctor. The plot of the Christmas special looks a bit meh, but I'm looking forward to the next full series.

This is now the second time Tennant's Doctor has warped regeneration to propagate himself. Let's not forget the human version that was left behind at the end of series 2. Could this be part of a decades-long story arc where Tennant's Doctor turns out to be a self-replicating virus like Agent Smith?!

Just kidding. Or am I?

Remember that time when the world turned into The Master?

With the Timeless Child, Biregeneration, Time Travel, and Chameleon Arches, everyone, I mean everyone should check their pockets for fob watches.

For me personally, The Giggle may have been the best Doctor Who episode in years, I’m not sure if RTD is gonna match up to his first run in the new series but this and Wild Blue Yonder certainly have got my hopes up, with regards to the bi-generation, I didn’t mind it myself as it gives Tennant a good ending and it could set up a very interesting storyline if handled right going forward, also, all three of these specials were at least fun to watch and it was great being able to eagerly await sitting at the telly on Saturday just like the good old days, something I couldn’t be bothered with during most of Chibnalls run.
Furthermore I’m really looking forward to seeing what Ncuti Gatwa brings to the table as the new Doctor.

I loved The Star Beast.

Wild Blue Yonder bored me senseless.

I just felt embarrassed at a lot of The Giggle, but I thought the end was alright at least. 😅

Back