Do You Possess Any Dreams or Ambitions?

I want to get back into translating at some point in the future. That might require moving abroad to make it easier to get work, though, which I wouldn't mind but can't really do at present for a couple of reasons.

Derfel said:
Finish my degree and become either a:
-businessman
-journalist
-law journalist
-writer (sci-fi mainly)
-researcher (contract and copyright + perhaps jurisprudence and philosophy)

Going into the law profession isn't out of the question either, but I'd rather not to it if the other four options are open to me.
Here's me thinking that law only lead to law. Then again, law firms keep trying to tempt people of other backgrounds, so maybe the opposite occurs as well.
I like the sound of jurisprudence and philosophy research. Your views on morality make you a perfect candidate.

ilmaestro said:
I want to get back into translating at some point in the future. That might require moving abroad to make it easier to get work, though, which I wouldn't mind but can't really do at present for a couple of reasons.

Yeah, it'd be a real bitch to get 1000's of anime singles, box sets and models through customs.

Aion said:
Yeah, it'd be a real bitch to get 1000's of anime singles, box sets and models through customs.
It'd be nice if someone could build an artificial island off the South Coast, declare it as its own country, make it part of the EU and not legislate any taxes on products imported into it.
That way we'd be able to get all the R1 DVDs we like by shipping them to this little state, and then sending them onto the mainland. EU-to-EU importing is apparently tax-free.
I can dream, can I not?

Zin5ki said:
Aion said:
It'd be nice if someone could build an artificial island off the South Coast, declare it as its own country, make it part of the EU and not legislate any taxes on products imported into it.
That way we'd be able to get all the R1 DVDs we like by shipping them to this little state, and then sending them onto the mainland. EU-to-EU importing is apparently tax-free.
I can dream, can I not?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand

You can try to have EU recognize them as a country, then why not? :)

My dream: Hmm, my dream for a long time is to become a game designer. When I was young, I had a game idea and expanded it upon a lot. But in the end, it was awfully generic and cliched.

But I want to stick to a game designer, mostly because I have two game ideas I would love to see through: A setting in a college where you are a young student and by the law of the black poppy, you must kill a specific person who's name is tagged to it.

Or a survival game, where you have a younger sister you must protect and traverse through a war-torn England, opening up on the tunnel from Paris to England.

My friend help me a lot with those ideas.

Either that or actually finish my stories that I create =P

Dreams or Ambitions...erm..i dunno really, i kinda left those thoughts for a while. When i think on it now though, my main dream has really been to learn japanese and become a translator of it, and move to japan. I don't see that happening for years, but i think i can still manage it. Other than that, i've really not had anything else that i can remember. I do say a lot that i am too carefree, so that doesn't help, but still, nothing really comes to mind bar that.

For those who want to learn japanese or to move to japan....their a dire need for english teachers across there....i've considered this seriously as of late. not only the chance to live in Tokyo...but to learn the language and teach the children our language....and get paid for it :)

Also....and you can blame fast and furious for this one....but Tokyo drift was an excellent film....and i'd love to own a rear wheel drive car (which are prodominantly made in R1 countries so easy to get hold of across there) and learn to drift. maybe race once or twice.

Chrono Mizaki said:
chaos said:
Chrono Mizaki said:
Or a survival game, where you have a younger sister you must protect and traverse through a war-torn England, opening up on the tunnel from Paris to England.

Somehow it reminds me of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ico

That was a beautiful game.

I've never realized the similarities until a while ago actually. xD
it's a great idea nonetheless. I'm really looking forward to their new game for the ps3.

Tachi- said:
For those who want to learn japanese or to move to japan....their a dire need for english teachers across there....i've considered this seriously as of late. not only the chance to live in Tokyo...but to learn the language and teach the children our language....and get paid for it :)

Also....and you can blame fast and furious for this one....but Tokyo drift was an excellent film....and i'd love to own a rear wheel drive car (which are prodominantly made in R1 countries so easy to get hold of across there) and learn to drift. maybe race once or twice.

http://www.jetprogramme.org/

Check this out. Also search google for the Gaijin Smash blog. It's a blog from an american guy who joined this scheme to teach english and share his reflections on this.

Do not expect to find a place easily in tokyo, as that is the place most foreigners will want to be (it's MUCH easier to be a foreigner in Tokyo than anywhere else in Japan).

My opinions on Japan are simple. It's awesome to visit. It's tough to live and work.

Three of my sisters lived there at some time, two of them came back home, only one stayed, but she got married and had kids there. The stories my sisters tell me of Japan are not the best, as their working ethics is really insane. 10 hours work day x 6 days a week. :S

I've only worked there for a few months, to pay for my plane tickets and a few gadgets. My shifts were light, as I was still a minor - they call that Arubaito (I've heard its german for Work - Arbeit).

The thing that made me hate all that was the kohai-sempai relationship, specially as this relationship can come with a verbal abuse, while in the past it had actual physical abuse as well.

Tachi- said:
For those who want to learn japanese or to move to japan....their a dire need for english teachers across there....i've considered this seriously as of late. not only the chance to live in Tokyo...but to learn the language and teach the children our language....and get paid for it.
You do need a degree for JET, although strangely it doesn't need to be a degree in Japanese. I've never understood how anyone can teach a language when they don't know the language of the people they're teaching.

There is a site on one man's hilarious experiences on the JET programme here, which I spent a few days when I had nothing better to do reading all the way through. It does look fun and I don't imagine the culture shock or loneliness would affect me much (I'm alone and shocked by culture in the UK) but my lack of academic qualifications disqualifies me.

I think I'll just get rich and then buy my way into whichever countries I feel like instead.

RWD cars are pretty common everywhere Tachi. Just have a look in Autotrader. :p

ayase said:
Tachi- said:
For those who want to learn japanese or to move to japan....their a dire need for english teachers across there....i've considered this seriously as of late. not only the chance to live in Tokyo...but to learn the language and teach the children our language....and get paid for it.
You do need a degree for JET, although strangely it doesn't need to be a degree in Japanese. I've never understood how anyone can teach a language when they don't know the language of the people they're teaching.
In the Jet programme, you end up as an assistant teacher. It's more about experiencing the japanese with foreigners than anything else, or so I heard.

Tachi- said:
ayase said:
And you don't look like a tit driving around like a boy racer in Japan? :p

NOPE :p

I have a Diploma....that counts for something right?
http://www.jetprogramme.org/e/faq/faq02elig.html#2-9
That's not enough for the JET Programme, but you can look elsewhere, maybe an scholarship. Ivé heard it's not too difficult to get the scholarship and you also get a few months of japanese classes as well.

http://www.jasso.go.jp/study_j/scholarships_e.html

I want to be well. My health has been standing in my way for long time now. I just want to be strong enough and healthy enough to pursue my dreams.

If i could achieve a decent level of health I would:

(This is the abridged version, lol)
Go to Art college
Take up kick-boxing
Do a course in Japanese
Learn the Piano
Join a Drama club
Do a writing course (I also want to write a book!)
Get a job

I also want to draw my own Manga style comic, but I still need more practise.

Zin5ki said:
I can dream, can I not?

What would we name that place and what would be the motto and coat of arms? We could use the NERV logo somewhere, I think...

Derfel said:
Zin5ki said:
I can dream, can I not?

What would we name that place and what would be the motto and coat of arms? We could use the NERV logo somewhere, I think...
The Principality of Sealand is an important strategic mech platform of the Seao-Mothadonian Empire and it will never be surrendered to you! Summon Mothra! (this will go right over your head I'm sure... a bit before your time I think Derfel) :p

*ears pick up at the summoning of Mothra* Mothadonia has been revived? excellent *puts on char like mask* Now i'll resume my role as commander of the armies of the fair nation, and the first task will be to start building space colonies...so we can have something to drop on our enemies ;)

back to the teaching in japan thing though, i've thought about it once but i decided again it, i would love to visit the country at least once in my lifetime but living there, i don't think i could go there all on my own and start anew.

Back