Discussing anime adaptations of visual novels

Vincentdante

Time-Traveller
While the art has aged a fair bit, the show overall is really solid and has a great mystery to it. Pacing is also pretty good considering it's 50 episodes plus the 5 episodes of side content.

I'm going to have to be that guy and say after playing the VN the Anime is pretty terrible. It rushes through the story and skips out so much lol

It certainly is what I hear about the majority of visual/sound novels. Even Steins;Gate, an anime often rated one of the best, is often told to not be as good as its VN.

Steins gate I think is better. And zero is so so so so so much better than it’s adaption,
FSN is probably the only one where I would say the anime is better but it’s also different for UBW. HF is better but does adapt the same content.

Steins gate I think is better. And zero is so so so so so much better than it’s adaption,
FSN is probably the only one where I would say the anime is better but it’s also different for UBW. HF is better but does adapt the same content.

Haven't played or seen Zero but I agree with you that Fate is better as an anime as well (apart from the DEEN one).

The problem is ignoring the additions Deen does adapt Fate pretty well. I can’t see what Ufotable could add (bar 202X visuals) I do think FHA will be there next type moon work but we shall see

The problem is ignoring the additions Deen does adapt Fate pretty well. I can’t see what Ufotable could add (bar 202X visuals)

The biggest problem with DEEN is it out of nowhere spoils parts of UBW and HF halfheartedly because I guess it wanted to squeeze some of those plot elements in. It does have a badass scene with Archer vs Berserker though.

Don't know if I'd say that the ufotable Fate adaptions is better than the VN. They certainly do some parts better, with the most obvious one being the fight scenes (which isn't weird as fight scenes can have better "pulse" and "spirit" when in picture form) but they also lack much of the creativity in how magic and such is presented (which isn't weird, considering words can play with creativity in a way anything tangible like pictures can't). As to the discussion of VN adaptions in general, I'm definitely more of the opinion that chasing a "perfect" adaption of a VN is akin to chasing rainbows, you'll never get hold of either.

Don't know if I'd say that the ufotable Fate adaptions is better than the VN. They certainly do some parts better, with the most obvious one being the fight scenes (which isn't weird as fight scenes can have better "pulse" and "spirit" when in picture form) but they also lack much of the creativity in how magic and such is presented (which isn't weird, considering words can play with creativity in a way anything tangible like pictures can't). As to the discussion of VN adaptions in general, I'm definitely more of the opinion that chasing a "perfect" adaption of a VN is akin to chasing rainbows, you'll never get hold of either.

Honestly and I know this is a hot take sure but the VN is veeeeeery overrated by the fanbase. But the best advantage the Anime has is being more condensed, it's easier to watch and rewatch it than sit through 80 hours to make sure we know that Shirou likes Archers swords again. The VN by comparison is like reading Moby Dick three times over before you get to the good bit, it's a good story but it's one you only want to read once.

Last edited:
Honestly and I know this is a hot take sure but the VN is veeeeeery overrated by the fanbase. But the best advantage the Anime has is being more condensed, it's easier to watch and rewatch it than sit through 80 hours to make sure we know that Shirou likes Archers swords again. The VN by comparison is like reading Moby Dick three times over before you get to the good bit, it's a good story but it's one you only want to read once.

Sure, I agree that from a straight "re-experience" perspective the F/SN anime adaptions are superior to the VN but, like I said, both the VN and the anime adaptations have their respective advantages and drawbacks due to being in different mediums. Being easier to "re-experience" is just one of the things VN adaptations in general have over their source materials. After all, its easier to watch and rewatch Higurashi as well, is it not?

issue is the Higurashi anime doesn't adapt everything.

There are a bunch of arcs that cover story aspects, which are left out since the anime only does the bare bones core route.

There are a bunch of arcs that cover story aspects, which are left out since the anime only does the bare bones core route.

Yes, and one of the issues I have about the ufotable adaptations is that they doesn't either adapt "everything". Most notably, they skip 1/3 of the VN, leaving Saber as a rather undeveloped character and making stuff which happen in UBW an HF decidedly less impactful (at least if you ask me). You could of course say that there is the Deen adaptation, but that one comes with its own share of problems and is neither an "optimal" adaptation.

After all, its easier to watch and rewatch Higurashi as well, is it not?

No, oh god no. I will re-read that, it's such a well done VN, arcs are short, do not overstay their welcome and the only issue with it is too much repeated information. I will never watch the Anime again.

It's worse than that, the anime doesn't even cover the core route fully. Season 2 had to do an "anime only arc" to course correct itself

Last edited:
No, oh god no. I will re-read that, it's such a well done VN and the Anime butchers it.

To end this discussion from my part as it's derailing a "bargin" thread and I could go on forever here (you're free to reply and while I'll still read your reply, I probably won't reply back),

You're free to have your opinion, ofc, but you did say "best advantage the Anime has is being more condensed" in regards to F/SN and I meant that if someone wants a condensed version of Higurashi for some reason then there is a well-regarded anime adaptation to watch instead. The first season has a 7.98 rating on MAL and the second a 8.24 rating, showing that a lot of people don't think of them as either "garbage" or "trash" but enjoyed the experience of them greatly, regardless of how much or little that experience aligns with that of the VN.

Back