Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Shiroi Hane said:
burtkenobi said:
Just wondering why they didn't use the existing blu Ray for the material they spliced in?
Assuming that is even possible, I can see glaring legal issues; for one ripping footage from a BD involves defeating the DRM and two, it would be material they are not cleared to use which would lead to problems with the licensor (I've heard tales of companies who have based their release on rips of the Japanese DVDs rather than paying for access to the masters and it did not go down well)

Well they ripped the footage from a dvd version so same difference?

Y2Johnny said:
Garuda said:
Rui said:
Errors with Australian releases seem quite common (especially when Siren and subtitles are involved).

Sorry to go slightly off topic. Are there any known issues with the Siren releases of Monster and Higurashi ? They seem to be the only versions currently available of those titles.

I've seen Higurashi a while ago, both seasons, and I don't recall noticing any error. I don't have the sharpest eye for small things, mind you, but it seemed perfectly fine to me, video, audio, and subtitle-wise.

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

Kill La Kill - Part 1 BD - This is based solely off of a quick spot check of each disc. I have NOT watched the episodes in full yet.

Disc 1 contains episodes 1 - 4, NOT 1 - 5.
Disc 2 contains episodes 5 - 9, NOT 6 - 9.
Episode 1 - Japanese audio is affected by the same issue as Gurren Lagann. Does NOT affect 2 - 9. Coincidentally the audio is also DTS-HD MA instead of PCM like the US/JP release.
Episode 4 - English Audio is very visibly out of sync.
Red/White text is Hardsubbed. Not the case with the US release as this was part of the subtitles.

Mangaranga said:
Kill La Kill - Part 1 BD - This is based solely off of a quick spot check of each disc. I have NOT watched the episodes in full yet.

Disc 1 contains episodes 1 - 4, NOT 5 - 9.
Episode 1 - Japanese audio is affected by the same issue as Gurren Lagann. Does NOT affect 2 - 9. Coincidentally the audio is also DTS-HD MA instead of PCM like the US/JP release.
Red/White text is Hardsubbed. Not the case with the US release as this was part of the subtitles.

What a pain. Given the high price, you'd think that would be the one release that would be flawless. Out of synch audio is the only one that really bothers me, but darn.
A lot of people aren't going to be happy the hard subs overlay the Japanese text.

Mangaranga said:

Disc 1 contains episodes 1 - 4, NOT 5 - 9.
Maybe I've misunderstood you or maybe it's a typo, but does disc one actually say it has episodes 5 - 9 on it? Because although it's not the end of the world, it would be beyond stupid and pretty annoying.

Errors with Kill la Kill are going to be hard to swallow for me. I mean, they moved the date forward not once, but twice because they were "pretty far ahead" with the project. I'll reserve judgment til I see it myself, but errors are inexcusable on this one tbh.

I was disappointed that money troubles meant that I had to cancel my pre-order of volume 1, but now I sorta feel like I dodged a bullet.

With the hard subs, I wonder if that was something Aniplex USA made Anime Limited agree to in order to get it down to 3 volumes, which might also explain the placement of the text? (Because apparently, the Japanese market will care about that a lot).

Considering that the English dub would be the main reason I'd be buying the release (because the sub is on Netflix), that sync error is pretty big though.

Dannielle said:
"Episode 4 - English Audio is very visibly out of sync."

That's a big thing to miss during QC. Wonder what happened there.
Playing around with the audio delay in MPC-HC, the track is about 400ms too late. It doesn't sound much, but trust me, It's very noticeable.

Joshawott said:
With the hard subs, I wonder if that was something Aniplex USA made Anime Limited agree to in order to get it down to 3 volumes, which might also explain the placement of the text? (Because apparently, the Japanese market will care about that a lot).

Considering that the English dub would be the main reason I'd be buying the release (because the sub is on Netflix), that sync error is pretty big though.
I'm not 100% sure about the hard subs. It may have been a restriction, but based on the way it's done it may have been a choice made on AL's end. The sync error is an oversight which is even more disheartening due to it affecting what is arguably the most ridiculous and funniest episode.

Mangaranga said:
Playing around with the audio delay in MPC-HC, the track is about 400ms too late. It doesn't sound much, but trust me, It's very noticeable.

400ms wow, I know it doesn't sound much but I have seen videos that were out by the same and I agree it's noticeable.

After Bebop I didn't think they would get the episode count wrong again.

Emulsion said:
Mangaranga said:

400ms wow, I know it doesn't sound much but I have seen videos that were out by the same and I agree it's noticeable.

After Bebop I didn't think they would get the episode count wrong again.

The audio point is news to me - certainly was not out on our check discs so I'll look into it!

AP

Mangaranga said:

Disc 1 contains episodes 1 - 4, NOT 1 - 5.

I have no idea what is up with Episode 1 for audio, because it's a different authoring house, no re-author of material and no stem work so I'm starting to think there's something odd going on. What's your home setup if you don't mind me asking? Will try to replicate here when back in office!

Episode 4 - I'll look into this one but again, wasn't out on our check discs so I am very unsure what the case is here. We watched all the episodes here and if it was out of synch and is noticeably so, we'd have picked up on it! Has anyone else been able to verify there?

Subs - Yes, because of the positioning they have to be hardsubbed I believe, will look into it but that was my understanding based on subtitle positions / conventions for the authoring suites this studio uses. That said I don't think on the hard-subbed front it takes away much from the experience though - it just depends on your preferences for localisation. Or am I talking crazy here?

EDIT: Has anyone seen any complaints on the Australian disc? Because we authored theirs too and it came out on the 15th of October - yet I'm seeing nothing related to it...so I'm reluctant to say it's just one person - but I'd like some verification and I'm in London 'til Tuesday so if someone can check before then I'd appreciate it!

Best,

AP

Dannielle said:
"Episode 4 - English Audio is very visibly out of sync."

That's a big thing to miss during QC. Wonder what happened there.

Firstly if it is (and I'm not sold that it is until I see it myself or get some verification, nothing personal there but Australia used our master and no negative reviews I can see on it) then I'm not sure how that happened as we QC'd every episode in dual languages in full. It would have showed if it were noticeable. Soooo the only way I can check is:

1. Audio check on my end.
2. Get some verification if (1) shows nothing up.

I'll look into it after that :).

Best,

Andrew

Overall that's quite a shocking list isn't it!? I haven't got to buying From the New World pt2 and I find it's already a bit broken.. Lol. It seems the kind of care that goes into anime is in need of a bit of a dusting down. Why do I get the feeling this kind of poor QC happens because it's a bit of a niche market? It's a very sad thing if people can't be bothered to make that extra effort.

Gavrev said:
Overall that's quite a shocking list isn't it!? I haven't got to buying From the New World pt2 and I find it's already a bit broken.. Lol. It seems the kind of care that goes into anime is in need of a bit of a dusting down. Why do I get the feeling this kind of poor QC happens because it's a bit of a niche market? It's a very sad thing if people can't be bothered to make that extra effort.

Firstly in realtime context that we all measure - that equates to 0.4 seconds - which for an animation isn't actually always noticeable but I'm not dismissing it until I check this out :)! Secondly it didn't show up on our check discs so I need to crack open a final production copy and have a look. Wouldn't make much sense to me that it would appear in the latter not the former and I was in the room during KLK QC and didn't pick up on this either.

This disc was QC'd pretty in-depth so I'm actually bemused until I have a chance to look into it. I'd advise people stay calm until there's verification or I've at least had a chance to look at one of the final discs :). That's not to say Mangaranga hasn't found something - but basing it off one person is a bit shakey always and is easy to fly off the handle without verification ^^;.

Bluntly so far - overall - the only shocking thing is somehow the disc labels went through the wrong way, but like I say it would have been due to the original master plan and wholly my fault. Usually when someone else product manages then I catch it in QC, nobody usually has time to do a quick QC of graphics elements I product manage. So hands up to that one, Hodor.

The other points aren't shocking as I'm not convinced yet they are actually faults so I need to investigate.

Best,

AP

Andrew is right. Don't take everything I say as absolute - I'm not always correct. I thought the audio for Viz's Gargantia release was screwed until I compared it to the JP release and realised it's what they chose to do with it. That said, in this case I have AoA's part 1 to compare.

Disc labelling is a minor and hard subs is a design choice to match the Japanese text. I'm just reporting everything that people may take issue with. The two audio issues are the big ones for me.

Don't get me wrong..lol.. I just meant it in general terms that there seems to be quite a bit that slips through in anime QC, compared to more mainstream releases

Back