Death Note on Play.com, as well as Ex Machina, Lupin the 3rd

If they're releasing twice as much content as standard volume releases, I'd be willing to bet the gap between future volume releases will be greater than standard releases (like Bleach). It'd be nice if it was monthly, though.

Aion said:
I'll be getting the Bleach 1:1 + 1:2 set at some point.
I'll be getting that, also. The First season box set does look very, very good. I believe, Since that Naruto subtitle fiasco Manga Entertainment have actually turned themselves around. I wonder if they are going to reissue the Naruto DVD's, For the sake wiping out the entire bad Naruto release history, Using VIZ' translations with Ramen over Pot Noodle.

..I'm using this instead of bumping the FLCL one, Play.com have the artwork listed. Only gripe, Two episodes per Disc! I would've rathered a box set and paid the entire £30 something. I'm hoping MVM do release one, anyway. Also, Strangely enough, On the cover art - It says Production I.G. not Gainax. ;o

Artwork for the new Naruto sets are out, as well.

Aion said:
I'm curious about how Mangle will make money if they offer proper subtitles. The Death Note license wouldn't have been cheap and the BBFC charge a lot. I don't think Mangle are generous enough to sell anime cheap without making profit, so there has to be something wrong with the Bleach and Death Note releases...surely?
What they have with Naruto, Bleach and Death Note that other anime licences is their popularity. Sure they will be expensive licences but they are liable to sell many more copies simply due to the buzz and popularity surrounding them.

In reference to your point about using the Viz subtitles, that is due to the gap between the Manga release and the Viz release. With Naruto Manga tried to release the volumes as close as possible to the Viz release. This meant, for series 1, contracting translation for the subtitles and in the case of series 2, using the dub track for the subtitles to cut translation costs. To get around this manga appear to be delaying their release and waiting for Viz's translation to become available.

Jayme said:
I'll be getting that, also. The First season box set does look very, very good. I believe, Since that Naruto subtitle fiasco Manga Entertainment have actually turned themselves around. I wonder if they are going to reissue the Naruto DVD's, For the sake wiping out the entire bad Naruto release history, Using VIZ' translations with Ramen over Pot Noodle.

I don't think much of the Bleach box set art myself, I simply prefer to get both volumes together in a set since I've waited this long anyway.

About Mangle fixing their errors, do correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe Mangle have ever corrected a mistake they've made. The GitS subtitle issue was never corrected, the Tokyo Underground misprint ('fixed' with a blue sticker) wasn't and I don't recall hearing about Mangle actually sending anyone who purchased Noein the remaining volumes that they never released individually.

My main issue with the Naruto 1:1 subtitles wasn't the "Pot Noodle" thing, nor was it the new name for the sexy no justu or the word justu changing every other episode. It was the MAJOR error towards the end; the one where the subs make out Kakashi is talking about Naruto's father.

Gawyn said:
What they have with Naruto, Bleach and Death Note that other anime licences is their popularity. Sure they will be expensive licences but they are liable to sell many more copies simply due to the buzz and popularity surrounding them.

Although Mangle are generally very careful with what they license (unlike ADV...), the other UK distributors do also have popular titles in their arsenal. Since they would never dream of releasing those popular shows at Mangle prices, surely there is very little profit to be made even if Mangle do manage to sell a lot?

I've always thought of Mangle releases as being cheap due to low quality until now. That logic will be proved incorrect if the Bleach releases are faultless and the Death Note releases also turn out to be fault free.

You know; you sound like a right immature little douchebag calling them mangle all the time.

It's like the nintendo kids back in 1996 calling Sony stuff like Fony, the greystation, the sega sadturn and such.

Aion said:
About Mangle fixing their errors, do correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe Mangle have ever corrected a mistake they've made.
But, Surely, If they are opting for VIZ' subtitles, They might as well do it. I see Naruto (And several others) as entirely VIZ titles just being distributed by Manga Ent. That isn't the case with Stand Alone Complex or Noein. Noein having dubtitles in which obviously on purpose and SAC just having bad timing, and encoding (possibly some other things). The harm has already been done there but with Naruto since it is still a major title and one of the one's that's keeping them alive. I would have thought they would try and correct the error of their ways.

The thing I doubt about it is, The artwork still doesn't have VIZ Media on it, Which really is quite strange since its on their Bleach and Death Note releases. ;o

Jayme said:
Aion said:
About Mangle fixing their errors, do correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe Mangle have ever corrected a mistake they've made.
But, Surely, If they are opting for VIZ' subtitles, They might as well do it. I see Naruto (And several others) as entirely VIZ titles just being distributed by Manga Ent. That isn't the case with Stand Alone Complex or Noein. Noein having dubtitles in which obviously on purpose and SAC just having bad timing, and encoding (possibly some other things). The harm has already been done there but with Naruto since it is still a major title and one of the one's that's keeping them alive. I would have thought they would try and correct the error of their ways.

The thing I doubt about it is, The artwork still doesn't have VIZ Media on it, Which really is quite strange since its on their Bleach and Death Note releases. ;o
Naruto was handled by Manga alone whereas Bleach seems to be in conjunction with Viz. As for the reason for them not correcting the subtitles that would be the costs of BBFC certification they would have to go through to do that for what would be very few extra sales.

Back