Death Note on Play.com, as well as Ex Machina, Lupin the 3rd

Do not want... DO NOT WANT.

What's the point of one of the most intelligent, plot heavy series out there if you can't enjoy it with some of the best Japanese voice acting ever?

The ONLY good thing about this is the future chance to get a 37 episode DN set for a reasonable amount.

Aion said:
What's the point of one of the most intelligent, plot heavy series out there if you can't enjoy it with some of the best Japanese voice acting ever?
If Bleach is anything to go by (another Viz/Manga deal), the UK discs should be pretty similar with proper subs.

I hope they sort out sign subs though otherwise you won't know whose names are being written down, lol!

Wow, that's awesome! I can't wait to start collecting this incredibly series, and watching it dubbed! Plus, the two disc set thing means better value for money! :]

I hope it is Manga (and it most likely is) because they're prices are most reasonable and they usually have lots of extras. I don't care about subs.

I hope they sort out sign subs though otherwise you won't know whose names are being written down, lol!

Yeah, the lack of sign subs in Bleach was really quite perplexing! :[

CitizenGeek said:
Yeah, the lack of sign subs in Bleach was really quite perplexing! :[
Actually, This is a problem VIZ is apparently having at the moment, At one point they burnt on the Sign-Subs (As per the TV Release), Fans hated that and this time round they have rid them completely.. I know this as a fact as they aren't on my R1's of Death Note unless full subtitles are on. I would say its safe to assume this will be sign-subless alike the Bleach release.

Personally.. I'll have to check out the release, Since I own the first two volumes already. If its up to scratch I might have to follow it with this - If it will take much longer than the monthly R1 release. I won't get the figures either. =/ ALTHOUGH! I haven't actually watched the DVD's yet, I don't feel the need since I know the story like the back off my hand.

Hold on guys, look at the actors being listed here... Tatsuya Fujiwara and Asaka Seto aren't in the Death Note anime, they play Light and Misa in the live action movies. In fact, all of the actors listed are from the movies, rather than the anime. Factor in that I've just had confirmation from Manga that they aren't distributing this and I'm fairly sure this isn't the anime series.

Paul said:
Hold on guys, look at the actors being listed here... Tatsuya Fujiwara and Asaka Seto aren't in the Death Note anime, they play Light and Misa in the live action movies. In fact, all of the actors listed are from the movies, rather than the anime. Factor in that I've just had confirmation from Manga that they aren't distributing this and I'm fairly sure this isn't the anime series.

Dang! But, oh well, at least we're getting some kind of Death Note goodness - I hope it's the live action movie, actually!

According to new listings on Play.com, there's a <a href="http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/5164098/Death-Note-Vol-1/Product.html">Death Note DVD</a> set to hit the UK on the 28th of April. Given the cast listing includes the likes of Tatsuya Fujiwara and Asaka Seto, it's more likely that this is the first of two live action movies (created in 2006) rather than the more recent anime TV series. With that said, at such an early stage and without even a known distributor, it's hard to know exactly which iteration of the Death Note franchise we're looking at here.

Continuing on an obscure note, Play.com are also soliciting&nbsp; (Appleseed 2) <a href="http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/4985991/Ex-Machina/Product.html">Ex Machina</a>, <a href="http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/-/37/51/-/5164473/Lupin-The-Third-Secret-Of-Mamo/Product.html?searchtype=genre">Lupin the 3rd: Secret of Mamo</a> and <a href="http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/-/37/51/-/5164229/Megaman-Nt-Warrior-Vol-1/Product.html?searchtype=genre">Megaman NT Warrior</a>. As is the case with the above Death Note story, we're unsure as to who is distributing this anime, but release dates, even at this early stage, are better than nothing.

Thanks to <a href="http://forums.animeuknews.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=537">Ushio</a> for posting this news on our forums.

The Secret of Mamo?? That's one of my favourite Lupin films, glad to see it's getting a UK release. I'm hoping it's Beez releasing this but I'm thinking it might be Manga, they had the licence for it back in the 90's and released it on VHS over here. I also wonder which English dub it will have... I think it's been dubbed at least four or five times. Really looking forward to this one! I just hope if it is released by Manga there's nothing wrong with the subtitles because the Japanese voice acting is just fantastic for this one.

I saw the Death Note anime on sale in Holland by the way with English subs and dub. They seemed to be promoting it pretty well with a poster on display and the free Light figure that came with the american release.

Sy said:
The Secret of Mamo?? That's one of my favourite Lupin films, glad to see it's getting a UK release. I'm hoping it's Beez releasing this but I'm thinking it might be Manga, they had the licence for it back in the 90's and released it on VHS over here. I also wonder which English dub it will have... I think it's been dubbed at least four or five times. Really looking forward to this one! I just hope if it is released by Manga there's nothing wrong with the subtitles because the Japanese voice acting is just fantastic for this one.
I'm interested as to what dub they'll use as well. On VHS it had one of the dubs where he's called 'Wolf', but judging by the name of the DVD there'll be a change somewhere along the line.

I hope this is an indication for another wave of Lupin titles over here! I'm actually more interested in this and I am Death Note - old school power, lol! :D

CitizenGeek said:
Ushio said:
I hope this is an indication for another wave of Lupin titles over here!

There was a previous wave of Lupin III titles over here? I thought Castle of Cagliostro was the only Lupin III release over here?
Several movies and TV specials were released over here back in the mid ninties to VHS. Off of the top of my head there was Cagliostro, The Fuma Conspiracy, Gold of Babylon (perhaps the worst Lupin movie), Goodbye Lady Liberty and Mamo (my personal favourite).

There's also two TV movies released on DVD by MVM as dub only(Twilight Gemini and Pursuit Of Harimao's Treasure) but in my opinion the only way to watch Lupin is in Japanese because I haven't heard any of the dub actors really capture the comedy in Lupin's Japanese voice.

Noratav said:

The plot thickens! This is what I was told by Jerome from Manga this afternoon:

I have no idea who is distributing it though. Total mystery!

We shall see, then. Jerome might have been pulling my leg and trying to keep it secret until something like the Expo comes around. I guess we'll find out soon enough though, as the saying goes, "no smoke without fire".

Back