Death Note: American Live-Action Script Summary

Having just read the summary linked to above in full, what lets the movie down are these points:

-- 'Luke' is a nice guy, out to get revenge for his mother. Apart from doing well on test scores, I see no similarity between the real Light - who wants to become a God, caring for no-one - and this goody-goody 'Luke' fella, who simply wishes to kill bad people.

It's a more extreme version of what the JP live-action team did in a poor attempt to make Light (needlessly) into a more sympathetic character. Stop with the bastardization of one of the best characters ever created! Light is Light; no more, no less.

-- Instead of being faithful to the manga, the movie is more faithful to the JP movie, with added American cheese. The whole girlfriend plot fuckery from the first JP movie is included, and 'Luke' even saves a woman at the start for no apparent reason (at this point).

-- Ryuk doesn't even appear. This means, as well as no decent humour, it being replaced with cheese, there won't be any talk of trading half of your life for the eyes.

-- According to a comment I've read, there's no 'L with Asperger's syndrome quirks' mentioned in the descriptions of him. Like Light, he'll probably be nothing like the real L.

-- The end sounds really, really bad. Light loses his memories, gets away with it and continues living with regret. If you're going to end Death Note, either have Light win or have him die in dramatic fashion. Any 'in-between' ending is a major copout.

...Basically, instead of staying true to the source material, those in charge decided to be more faithful to the first JP live-action flick, also adding in some good ol' Americanization/cheese, ruining Light's character by doing so.

Why, oh why, do the idiots in charge of these movies insist on adding girlfriend characters (as in, characters Light/'Luke' actually cares for in return) when Light never gave a **** about anyone, never having one real friend and simply viewing women as objects to be used? It's ******* moronic. For a movie to work, there doesn't need to be a bloody romance going on.

And, if you're going to change the ending, copy the second JP live-action flick - which has the best ending - or just end the story in a random warehouse. 'Happy ever after' just doesn't work with Death Note, period.

/mini-rant end

Also:
1255049805347.jpg

lol at the the last "fight the good fight" part.

Aion said:
Having just read the summary linked to above in full, what lets the movie down are these points:

-- 'Luke' is a nice guy, out to get revenge for his mother. Apart from doing well on test scores, I see no similarity between the real Light - who wants to become a God, caring for no-one - and this goody-goody 'Luke' fella, who simply wishes to kill bad people.
Isn't this how Light starts out, though (just wanting to kill bad people)? I'm only going off reviews I've read/heard, of course.

Yes, but it's just an excuse; some logic he can use to justify his actions. As soon as someone says he's wrong, or tries to stop him, he kills them with hesitation. In his mind, anyone who stands in his way is evil, and even those who assist him are only tools that need to be destroyed at some point; when they're no longer useful.

Aion said:
Yes, but it's just an excuse; some logic he can use to justify his actions. As soon as someone says he's wrong, or tries to stop him, he kills them with hesitation. In his mind, anyone who stands in his way is evil, and even those who assist him are only tools that need to be destroyed at some point; when they're no longer useful.
Right, gotcha. I actually might like this series to be honest, needs to be on the list.

Say what? XD

I've heard it's just a prank though. Not the live-action movie in general, just the leaked scripts.

But still, if it is then that's one well thought-out prank. :roll:

Kezwick_Osaka said:
Say what? XD

I've heard it's just a prank though. Not the live-action movie in general, just the leaked scripts.

But still, if it is then that's one well thought-out prank. :roll:

Please let it be this. But then again, when you look at the lengths Fox went to butcher dragonball for the american audience...

Wow that kinda sucks...

How can they have death note without Ryuk?! (I love Ryuk) and the way they've made Light's character (or "Luke") is just wrong. He has no conscience, that's what makes his character so awesome so why are they trying to change that?

Also without Ryuk how the hell are they gonna explain how the death note got there in the first place. What, it just magically appeared?

And what kind of ending is that?!

I could go on but I'll spare you the lecture. Besides I think Aion summed it up nicely.

Although I'm critical of it I would probably go watch it anyway so they'll get their moneys worth out of me...

Yeah, that script seems fake to me. Even if it was real, it would go through many, many changes before, like, even real pre-production would begin. IMDb isn't a very trustworthy source for most things script.

We'll just have to wait and see, though. It would be interesting if it was the actual screenwriters that put it out there to test the waters.

"Luke"!?
No Ryuk!?
A screwed up L?!
A screwed up ending?!?!!

Oh my, didn't America learn it's lesson with Dragonball...?

(Despite it all, I might still watch it for shits and giggles)

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
"Luke"!?
No Ryuk!?
A screwed up L?!
A screwed up ending?!?!!

Oh my, didn't America learn it's lesson with Dragonball...?

(Despite it all, I might still watch it for shits and giggles)

Ditto for me,although I'm sure it will be more the former than the latter from the sound of the plotline so far. :p Looks like that's another anime adaption down,now our hopes reside in Cowboy Bebop and Ghost In The Shell(hopes for good adaptions).

Get that Neill Blomkamp guy on Bebop immediately. He'd make a quality film and do the series justice, with absolute ease. Zoic should also so the CGI and casting unknowns should happen. Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci are great mainstream screenwriters that know how to write awesome characters so they should script it. The music? I'd be hesitant to give it to someone other than Kanno. John Williams can do epic things. I'd like to see what Bear McCreary can do with some Jazz. Warner Bros can distribute and promote. Christopher Nolan can produce.

This is my dream setup. Yeah.

EDIT: Amazing cast list, if unknowns are too unknown. It's a work-in-progress:

Spike: Chris Pine
Faye: Summer Glau/Kristen Bell
Ed: Unknown
Jet: Er... Gerald Butler is pretty big, isn't he? I want Arnold Schwarzenegger from the time of Conan. Just with better acting.

ilmaestro said:
You have an ace avatar. That's all. ^^;
To be truthful, I just punched 'black rock shooter avatar' into google images and picked my favourite.

And Travis? Touchdown? There would be a good twist, none of this 'new new york' gibberish.

Back