Crunchyroll ranks its most popular autumn anime by European country

Quite surprised we're watching Drifters more than Yuri on Ice (which I have to say is probably my show of the season). Overall for Europe I'm sad there isn't a big more love for Bungo Stray Dogs, it seems to have been doing a lot better in the states!

Miles is apparently working on "something more granular" for the UK still. So hopefully we'll be able to name and shame all the places that like Keijo!!!!!!!! a bit too much. :p

I do love the random appearance of To Be Hero amongst all the Yuri On Ice and Keijo.

I do kinda wonder if that's just a quirk of Switzerland. With half of the country speaking French and the other half speaking German, I'm guessing there's several shows that are only available in parts of the country or not at all, and To Be Hero seems to have snuck in through the cracks.

I think Switzerland misses out on a lot of the simulcast rights CR has for other countries, for some reason. Probably because it has both French and German speaking - so other licensors who grab 'French language rights / German language rights' effectively mean CR loses out on both sides when it comes to Switzerland. So that might have an impact maybe.

Awesome to see Yuri on Ice feature so prominently on that map. :)

I wonder if they'll do a counties map for the UK. Need to know which counties have the worst taste.

It is kinda interesting to see Drifters doing so well, as in terms of pure 'quality' - many would argue it doesn't measure up to the likes of Yuri on Ice or Sound Euphonium series 2. But I think it hits that real action / aesthetic sweet spot that reminds a lot of fans of old-school violent anime faves from Manga UK's hey-day.

CR has the following for Switzerland:
Anitore! XX
Ao Oni The Animation
Bernard-jou Iwaku
Bloodivores
Brave Witches
Bungou Stray Dogs 2nd Season
Cheating Craft
Dream Festival!
Gakuen Handsome
Hibike! Euphonium 2nd Season
Kaijuu Girls: Ultra Kaijuu Gijinka Keikaku
Keijo!!!!!!!!!
Kiitarou Shounen no Youkai Enikki
Lostorage Incited WIXOSS
Magic Kyun! Renaissance
Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku
Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desukara. 2nd Season
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans 2nd Season
Nanbaka
Nobunaga no Shinobi
Nyanbo!
Okusama ga Seitokaichou!+!
Sengoku Choujuu Giga
Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume
Shuumatsu no Izetta
Soul Busters
Teekyuu 8
To Be Hero
Yuri!!! on Ice

As I understand it, the maps are just of the most watched shows by region. The shows aren't necessarily the most "popular", at least in the sense that the people watching them might not necessarily like them (and may like other shows, that less people are watching, more). There's not really an indication of what other shows people are watching either, I'd be kind of interested to see full lists but maybe that'd be too much effort for them to compile.

Poco's Udon World is the show of the season for me so far, I'd probably be more surprised if it did appear on any of the maps. In fairness, it's the only show I've watched from this season so far but I am quite enjoying it anyway.

I have to admit, even if I end up enjoying it, I'm not sure I'll be able to forgive Yuri!!! on Ice for wasting a title with such potential.

Not one EU country has taste, as Hibike 2 is nowhere to be seen in top spot :D

Brave Witches is meh in my taste, Drifters is better and what Yuri On Ice concerns well haven't seen it yet.

Good luck to him in distinguishing Ceremonial Counties from Metropolitan and Non‑Metropolitan Counties!

I would expect that it would either be at the country level (which would be kind of plain), regional level, or the Lieutenancy area level. I wonder how many CR viewers there are in Sutherland, though. Or the Western Isles.

I suspect it will probably be regional - so N Ireland, Scotland, Wales, North West England, North East England, Yorks & Humber, West Midlands, East Midlands, South West, South East, Eastern England and London.

It'd be a shame to see huge chunks of the country painted with the same brush and essentially ignored... You know, for a change.

I do think it'd be interesting to see it at least broken down into counties, especially if there are some where very few or no people actually use Crunchyroll. That said, it might be a bit of a shame if they did that and it still came out essentially the same (which isn't necessarily unlikely, given the criteria is simply "most watched") but the effort would be appreciated.

Back