UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

I remember there was a loooong wait for some One Piece DVD collections (after Enies Lobby) because Jeremy Graves said Manga were waiting on Toei. Could be the same here with Crunchy waiting on TV Tokyo
Pretty sure it's sublicenced here from Viz. Hopefully that means we'll also be getting more home releases of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, iirc the Boruto and Jojo rights were bundled together.

New Crunchyroll pre-orders.

• The Girl From the Other Side
  • K-ON! (S1 + S2 + Movie)
  • Shinobi no Ittoki

The K-ON! standard edition re-release is I think the first non-Crunchyroll / Funimation title to be released from Crunchy UK since One Punch Man S2 I'm pretty sure which is good to see, even if it is only a re-release.

EDIT: That with Boruto set five likely releasing soon going off the BBFC ratings must mean Crunchy UK may of had some boring legal stuff to deal with when changing brand name from Funi I would assume.

New Crunchyroll pre-orders.

• The Girl From the Other Side
  • K-ON! (S1 + S2 + Movie)
  • Shinobi no Ittoki

The K-ON! standard edition re-release is I think the first non-Crunchyroll / Funimation title to be released from Crunchy UK since One Punch Man S2 I'm pretty sure which is good to see, even if it is only a re-release.

EDIT: That with Boruto set five likely releasing soon going off the BBFC ratings must mean Crunchy UK may of had some boring legal stuff to deal with when changing brand name from Funi I would assume.
I guess K-ON kind-of makes sense, given they previously only released it in limited edition. Hope they don't have to recall it this time.

Interestingly K-ON hasn't made it over from Funimation yet on streaming. This does give me some hope though they'll eventually get round to doing a Haruhi release at least.

Glad to see we are on the same level as the US for how many new pre orders. 3 new releases for us and 3 new releases for America. Thanks Crunchyroll!

£25 for a 70-minute OVA (not even in a fancy box!) - I can only assume they're hoping anime buyers have way more money than sense.

And over £50 for Shinobi no Ittoki (13 whole episodes)...who can afford this stuff?!
I have a crazy feeling Crunchyroll are intentionally pricing them stupidly high so they can point to low sales as a reason to pull physical releases in the UK and go streaming only.

That or whomevers in charge of their release strategy is an idiot.
(Or both)

I agree.
After 8 years of random buying, I have settled into a careful buying system.
Spy X hasn't been bought yet even though it's on DVD.

Last edited:
I have a crazy feeling Crunchyroll are intentionally pricing them stupidly high so they can point to low sales as a reason to pull physical releases in the UK and go streaming only.

That or whomevers in charge of their release strategy is an idiot.
(Or both)
Additionally, re-releasing an already decent value release alongside an incredibly mediocre series (being generous) with a fairly incomprehensible title (to a mainstream audience) as a standard edition for £50.00 for a single cour.

From a season that had Chainsaw Man, Do It Yourself, Mob season 3, Gundam Witch from Mercury, Bocchi the Rock!, this is the show that gets released?

Hell, release Bluelock, that would make more sense. What a waste of money to send Shinobi to the BBFC.

Worth noting that the only ones (barring a few like Devil is a Part-Timer Season 2 and Spy x Family) are only getting a release over here is because they are multi-language titles, whether its French & German audio like Shinobi no Ittoki, or in Girl from the Other Side's case French subtitles, so that it can get to more than 1 market. It's also entertaining how the SRP keeps going up and down on these releases.

Additionally, re-releasing an already decent value release alongside an incredibly mediocre series (being generous) with a fairly incomprehensible title (to a mainstream audience) as a standard edition for £50.00 for a single cour.

From a season that had Chainsaw Man, Do It Yourself, Mob season 3, Gundam Witch from Mercury, Bocchi the Rock!, this is the show that gets released?

Hell, release Bluelock, that would make more sense. What a waste of money to send Shinobi to the BBFC.

I just pre-ordered Shinobi no Ittoki at Rightstuf yesterday, for $40 after my Got Anime discount and a 15% Off code from them, so that wasn't too bad of a pre-order price. MSRP is $69.98 and retail price at RS without any discounts is $52.49 over here in the US, so the UK price is pretty much equivalent. Anime prices are going up over here as well. Just going to have to wait for some sales.

Fortunately for me, out of all the titles you mentioned - Chainsaw Man, Do It Yourself, Mob season 3, Gundam Witch from Mercury, Bocchi the Rock!, Bluelock, and along with K-On, Shinobi no Ittoki is the only title I would want, as I have no interest in any of the rest. So for once Crunchy actually picked the right title to release for my tastes.

The Girl from the Other Side I already have the Kickstarter deluxe release, so I don't need that one.

I just pre-ordered Shinobi no Ittoki at Rightstuf yesterday, for $40 after my Got Anime discount and a 15% Off code from them, so that wasn't too bad of a pre-order price. MSRP is $69.98 and retail price at RS without any discounts is $52.49 over here in the US, so the UK price is pretty much equivalent. Anime prices are going up over here as well. Just going to have to wait for some sales.
Eh even so the prices aren't going up that much in the US market. $5 SRP on Crunchyroll standard editions are no big deal (especially as that's Sentai's price-range) compared to a £10-20 increase we're getting with the UK distributor.

7tqerj.jpg

Back