UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

Just tried these times

Disc 2 at 0:14:41 (episode 5)
Disc 2 at 0:32:31 (episode 6)
Disc 3 at 0:55:52 (episode 11)

PS4 had the same problems and Sony UBP-X700 had no picture problems or time speed up.

Posted three videos, it's skipping the frames.
If he was able to keep the runtime status on-screen it would be easier to identify the frame skip. Either way it further supports our assumption that the players that don't show the frame flicker are basically hiding it by slowing or speeding up the scene (which I suspect is how it fooled the Funi staff).

Its a bit annoying but personally I can live with a few dodgy frames in a set containing 1000 minutes of content.

I'll get the replacements if they offer them though.

I think people might have been more understanding of this issue if they had chosen the proper masters and decided on better packaging in the first place. If it's clear you don't care from the very beginning it is only natural for people to assume negligence when problems arise.

It probably was more a case of what they were given rather than what they wanted.
It was Manga that licensed K-on, not Funi UK, so to expect Funi to worry about a release they had really very little to do with is expecting too much of a Sony company.
I doubt we'll see any replacement program, as other series have gone by with worse, allbeit by Manga, I can't see Funi being any better.

I think people might have been more understanding of this issue if they had chosen the proper masters and decided on better packaging in the first place. If it's clear you don't care from the very beginning it is only natural for people to assume negligence when problems arise.
There’s nothing wrong with the packaging. Blu-rays are scratch-resistant, I do wonder how everyone is putting their discs back in the sleeves if they’re managing to scratch them. And cardboard is sturdier than the flimsy unbranded keepcases they’ve been using lately anyway.

It really isn't so simple that they can just choose the "proper" masters. It's likely Funimation wanted to get the more up to date Sentai masters but simply weren't allowed. Companies can't just pick and choose what to use for their release.

Personally I don't mind the packaging, but it is clear there are many people out there who do, and in my experience cardboard sleeves tend to fall apart after a few years if you get the discs out regularly. I guess I'll check the build quality when my set finally arrives.
I honestly don't understand why the Sentai masters might not have been available to them when they have already been licensed outside of Japan, other than not having access to the Sentai disc authors and wanting to save some money on authoring. Of course there might be some other explanation (which would also have to apply to Clannad) which we're unaware of but the whole situation doesn't inspire much confidence.
This might all be a series of unfortunate coincidences which we are mistaking as a lack of care but in the end this release is certainly sub-par, and Funi is unlikely to do anything about it unless there is a social media outcry. I usually tend to see the glass half-full with these things but there doesn't seem to be a single thing done right with this release other than its existence and maybe the packaging.

Let’s face it, they obviously didn’t bother trying to get newer masters. They just used the masters Madman had already paid for since it’s all Sony.

Wakes up and finds out this has been turned into an article

Thanks @NormanicGrav! Might have taken better videos if I knew that would happen!
I think what is shown conveys it well enough though.
Yeah video evidence was much easier to display the problem and having more than one helps address the problem.

zrxuGWb.gif

IekVtBs.gif

I think why it’s going down so badly is because K-On is loved and it does raise why did it take them this long to release it on blu Ray when AUS/US was from the start if these were discs in 2012 whenever it was we would be fine, 9 years later no. It also suggests we don’t want FUNi UK to touch any old Manga license (that isn’t FUNi US too) as they will f it up. The masters thing is weird as for Tamako Market AL got the old show yet the new film disc so shrug

Its a bit annoying but personally I can live with a few dodgy frames in a set containing 1000 minutes of content.
Agreed. I'll admit I did panic when I first saw the screenshots of the problems, but watching through the episodes in question it's really just a fraction of a second in each case, at least on the hardware I'm using. There's no word yet on whether season 2 has any more problems though, so I might change my tune depending on that. For now, I've seen much, much worse releases.

I do wonder how everyone is putting their discs back in the sleeves if they’re managing to scratch them.
In my case, the one disc with any damage was already scratched the first time I took it out of the box.

This might all be a series of unfortunate coincidences which we are mistaking as a lack of care
I suspect that may be the case. It's just unfortunate that this business with the video corruption has happened on a release using discs known to have inherited existing issues (muddy audio in one episode, jumbo subtitles in season 2, etc).

I have to say, it's a nice-looking box set when you have it in hand. While there are concerns over the packaging in terms of practicality, there's nothing to indicate a lack of effort on that front. If anything, they put aesthetics first since they went to the trouble of giving it bespoke packaging and compiling a booklet. I've seen plenty of half-arsed box set designs in my time, and this isn't one of them.

Back