UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

Love how people bash Funimation worse even when they're experiencing the same issues as MVM and Anime Limited. I can't imagine it's been easy for Funimation having to deal with these issues.
To be fair, I don't think it's unreasonable to give a little bit more leeway to a couple of very small companies (I think MVM has two members of staff...?) than the one that's literally part of Sony 😅

I imagine it should be easy for Funi/Manga to deal with these issues - they've been releasing anime for longer than MVM and (especially) AL, so they should be the absolute best at it by now!

I don't really know how to contact Funimation other than their help email which I think is mostly for the Streaming service and @'ing FunimationUK&IRE about it on Twitter. I did email them about it just now with a bunch of the videos and pictures from other people and comparisons.

Any of ye have a pc drive to check the files directly to see if it’s baked into the files, it’s possible the Panasonic player is just dropping the damaged frames

Any of ye have a pc drive to check the files directly to see if it’s baked into the files, it’s possible the Panasonic player is just dropping the damaged frames
I should say folks, while the playback on my Panasonic is without visual corruption as shown previously (and also that corruption seems similar but not identical on peoples screenshots when it has appeared) it might be that the Panasonic player I have might be skipping some of the frames in those scenes (or something similar) as it appears to be slowing down and dropping frames of animation. It's hard to tell due to it being animation (sometimes fairly limited and one of the scenes is pretty much a still shot) but I think that's what's happening (only really noticed when I compared the video against the playback on another player, it the corruption but it was a little smoother during the issue).

To be fair, I don't think it's unreasonable to give a little bit more leeway to a couple of very small companies (I think MVM has two members of staff...?) than the one that's literally part of Sony 😅

I imagine it should be easy for Funi/Manga to deal with these issues - they've been releasing anime for longer than MVM and (especially) AL, so they should be the absolute best at it by now!
I'm obviously in the minority here but I really don't think it should matter how big the company is. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes but I'm sure the team would love to avoid these issues but like every company these things just slip through. Working in anime (or any media) is tough and I'm not surprised a big company would run into issues. The K-ON issue is still very recent so it's best to give them time to investigate it instead of assuming they won't because "Funimation bad lol".

To everyone here who owns the K-On! Blu-rays and have spotted the flickering issues, could each of you specify which Blu-ray player you have tested them on?

From the ones that I know of so far is Law's LG 4K player, RaeDra's Panasonic 4K player (which has no issues but seems to slow down the frames in a way to hide the issue, so this is worth looking on other players for those who are checking the timestamps) and PlayStation 5 (which has the issue), so if there's any more that would be appreciated!

Flickering issues reported:
  • LG 4K Player (tested by Law)
  • PlayStation 4 (tested by Onosume)
  • PlayStation 5 (tested by RaeDra)
No flickering issues but a weird slowdown at the exact moment the flickering would occur:
  • Panasonic 4K Player (tested by RaeDra)

Last edited:
To everyone here who owns the K-On! Blu-rays and have spotted the flickering issues, could each of you specify which Blu-ray player you have tested them on?

From the ones that I know of so far is Law's LG 4K player, RaeDra's Panasonic 4K player (which has no issues but seems to slow down the frames in a way to hide the issue, so this is worth looking on other players for those who are checking the timestamps) and PlayStation 5 (which has the issue), so if there's any more that would be appreciated!

Flickering issues reported:
  • LG 4K Player (tested by Law)
  • PlayStation 4 (tested by Onosume)
  • PlayStation 5 (tested by RaeDra)
No flickering issues but a weird slowdown at the exact moment the flickering would occur:
  • Panasonic 4K Player (tested by RaeDra)
Someone should try it on an Xbox One, they’re always fussy.

Disappointed to hear about the quality issues for K-on! :(. I'll check my discs when they arrive (I have a Panasonic Blu-ray player). My pre-order from Anime-On-Line was despatched Tuesday, so taking a bit longer than usual for them. I'll still be keeping the set as a collector item.

Are the corrupted frames the same timestamps for people, or is there an element of random to it?

Also worth seeing if anyone has the knowhow to rip the bluray to a pc and see if the corruption follows it.

Are the corrupted frames the same timestamps for people, or is there an element of random to it?

Also worth seeing if anyone has the knowhow to rip the bluray to a pc and see if the corruption follows it.
It's at these spots every time
Disc 2 at 0:14:41 (episode 5)
0:32:31 (episode 6)
Disc 3 at 0:55:52 (episode 11)

I'm only 2 episodes into season 2 now...

Tested on a Xbox Series X and can report the same flickering issues. I will say, it appears the flickering is unique in the way it appears on each player. The Flickering on the disc, when viewed via a PlayStation 5, doesn't appear the same when it's viewed via a Xbox Series X (and yes I checked it multiple times).

Just watched episode 5 of K-On can anyone else tell me if at 14:41 the picture gets a lil messed up?

EDIT: Found a scratch on the disc, probably because of the card sleeves.... Also more visual glitches in episode 6!
View attachment 20257
View attachment 20256
Here's another one for the list, @NormanicGrav . I've tested the discs on two players, a Panasonic DMP-BDT230 (this is an older 1080p player from around 2013), and a Playstation 4. There's definitely something going on at the time-stamps @Law mentioned.

Disc 2 at 0:14:41 (episode 5)
Disc 2 at 0:32:31 (episode 6)
Disc 3 at 0:55:52 (episode 11)

The Panasonic seems to be handling the problems the same as @RaeDra found, skipping the corrupted frames and then adjusting the video speed for a moment to compensate. The audio isn't affected, so it's almost impossible to notice unless I keep the time counter on-screen, in while case I notice it skip ahead a second at the affected timestamps. If I hadn't been scrutinising it like this, I wouldn't have noticed any problem watching normally, so I can see how this might have escaped QC if the discs were checked on a player that handled the errors this way.

The Playstation 4 shows visual corruption at the same time-stamps as everyone else. The one in episode 5 looks the same as the screenshot from @Law , but the other two look far less severe than @Law found, being just a band of distortion in the top 10% of the screen.

The weird thing is that, when I have trouble with discs, it's normally the Panasonic that struggles more; this is the first time something has been visibly worse on the PS4. Then again, maybe the Panasonic is struggling more if it's giving up on those frames altogether.

Bear in mind that the set only arrived today, so I've only had time to check those specific problem spots. I'll report back if I run into anything else while watching the series normally. For the record, my set arrived with one small scratch on disc 2, but the other discs have no visible damage.

Back