UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

Small scratches usually don't cause such problems. If the scratch affect the readability of the disc, then the player should usually skip the affected part (and make disc reading sounds). The corrupted frames are probably baked into the M2TS files.
Does this mean everyone will see these errors on disc 2 and 3? Those have been the glitchy looking discs so far.
Just in case anyone else has the set check out:
Disc 2 at 0:14:41 (episode 5)
Disc 2 at 0:32:31 (episode 6)
Disc 3 at 0:55:52 (episode 11)

Last edited:
Does this mean everyone will see these errors on disc 2 and 3? Those have been the glitchy looking discs so far.

Same, I just checked mine and the issues are there on the same timecodes, I hope we can get replacement discs because I was really excited for this release.

That is so bizarre. Usually errors like that are baked into the master, and spread across the English speaking territories as discs are cloned from one region to the next (there are a couple of glitches on Kid on the Slope and so forth that are universal). But these seem unique to the UK discs, despite them being clones of the Bandai release. I can confirm that there are no such glitches on the Australian Blu-ray discs at the same spots. Those are clones of the Bandai release as well.

I sold my Australian BD's to get these because I thought they were the same!

Lucky Star blu-ray was the jaggiest thing I've ever seen.

Can confirm my copy has the same issue. I've checked disc 2 at least and it glitches out at 14:41 and 32:31. Disc is not scratched and no physical damage.

Last edited:
Now I know I'm half blind but.... just checked disc 2 and both eps play fine, could I ask what players you are using when you find the glitches?
As I am using an ancient Panasonic, which has no issues with said eps.

Honestly I’m getting more and more disillusioned by Funimation every day, there online services doesn’t work, their releases get delayed months and stock is a quite sparse on some releases and to top it off they release Akira without hdr and then this shambles. It’s kind of shocking really this is the company in charge of almost all anime

That is so bizarre. Usually errors like that are baked into the master, and spread across the English speaking territories as discs are cloned from one region to the next (there are a couple of glitches on Kid on the Slope and so forth that are universal). But these seem unique to the UK discs, despite them being clones of the Bandai release. I can confirm that there are no such glitches on the Australian Blu-ray discs at the same spots. Those are clones of the Bandai release as well.
Maybe it was physical damage on the glass master used to press the discs, rather than corruption in the files?

So, been a little reluctant to comment on this as I was seemingly unaffected. Originally I checked the set when this news came up on my regular player which is a Panasonic DP-UB450 and was baffled as there's nothing seemingly wrong with them in those scenes mentioned above. No video corruption, nothing. I have checked on a PlayStation 5 however and, sadly, the issues with the video are present. But it isn't on the Panasonic, in any of the cases mentioned so far. Other than some compatibility issue (that I don't understand enough about) I really, really don't get why this is the case at all.

Last edited:
There is something comical about a Sony company not testing their disks in a Sony Blu-ray player, you’d imagine that’d be the first form of qc they would do (if they did any)

Now I know I'm half blind but.... just checked disc 2 and both eps play fine, could I ask what players you are using when you find the glitches?
As I am using an ancient Panasonic, which has no issues with said eps.
My player is an LG 4K player, my glitches also look way worse and last longer than some of the examples posted on Twitter or the Discord.

Love how people bash Funimation worse even when they're experiencing the same issues as MVM and Anime Limited. I can't imagine it's been easy for Funimation having to deal with these issues.

Back