UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

Wait so the Anniversary blu rays cropped the already cropped blu rays down further? I didn’t pay attention at the time cus the set was so expensive but my boyfriend would like the show in the original aspect ratio if he could get it.
The very rare dragon boxes that were US only are the only good ones yeah and now super rare.

I think my bf will stick with his American blu rays for now then, thanks for the info guys :) How hard is it to get one of the most popular anime series in the world correct? XD

The very rare dragon boxes that were US only are the only good ones yeah and now super rare.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. What you're saying is completely false. The Anniversary BDs are NOT the season BDs cropped back to 4:3. They are restored to the original 4:3 ratio. Speaking from personal experience here, as I have both.

Episode 1, specifically, is more cropped than previous releases (although not to 16:9 cropped to 4:3 levels), but only that one episode, with all others showing as much or more picture than any other 4:3 release. And Funi's copy of episode 1 is known to be in especially poor condition, which I'd imagine is the reason for the cropping.

And the color on the anniversary BDs is both more natural than the season BDs and drastically better than the dragon boxes (which weren't color corrected, and look terrible color wise). I'm really sensitive to that sort of thing, and find the dragon boxes nearly unwatchable because of it.

So if you're wanting the show in its original 4:3 aspect ratio, the anniversary BD discs are a perfectly reasonable means to get it, and are far more realistic than tracking down a number of very expensive and OOP sets.

Last edited:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. What you're saying is completely false. The Anniversary BDs are NOT the season BDs cropped back to 4:3. They are restored to the original 4:3 ratio. Speaking from personal experience here, as I have both.

They are still heavily cropped compared to actual previous good 4:3 releases.

They are still heavily cropped compared to actual previous good 4:3 releases.

Again, false, except for episode 1, like I explained in my last comment. This is a misperception that started because Funimation initially only released screenshots from episode 1, leading people to draw that conclusion. Later released screenshots from other episodes, and testimonials from people who actually received the set, somehow failed to shake that impression from some corners of the internet.

You don't have to take my word for it. Just look at the comparisons here:

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/vie...=4180#p1623536

I got into a bit of detail on the differences between the three UK DBZ releases on our look at the collectors edition set here:

Funnily enough I asked and used some of the pictures linked from Kanzenshuu above, but I put them into one graphic for easy comparison. Just be sure to right click and "View Image" for maximum quality!

Amazon links for Manga Entertainment Q4 2020 release slate - Batch 1:
  • Fairy Tail: Collection 6 - Blu-ray / DVD - 5th October
  • Fairy Tail: Collection 7 - Blu-ray / DVD - 26th October
  • Fairy Tail: Collection 8 - Blu-ray / DVD - 30th November
  • Fairy Tail: Collection 9 - Blu-ray / DVD - 21st December
  • Fairy Tail Zero - Blu-ray / DVD - 5th October
  • Fairy Tail: Final Season: Part 1 - Blu-ray / DVD - 9th November
  • Fairy Tail: Final Season: Part 2 - Blu-ray / DVD - 14th December
Amazon links for Manga Entertainment Q4 2020 release slate - Batch 2:
  • My Hero Academia: Season 2 - Blu-ray / DVD - 26th October
  • My Hero Academia: Season 3 - Blu-ray / DVD - 16th November
  • My Hero Academia: Season 4 Part 1 - Blu-ray / DVD - 26th October
  • My Hero Academia: Seasons 1-3 - Blu-ray / DVD - 16th November
  • My Hero Academia the Movie: Heroes Rising - Blu-ray Steelbook / Blu-ray / DVD - 26th October
  • My Hero Academia the Movie: Heroes Rising & Two Heroes - Blu-ray / DVD - 26th October
Amazon links (+ HMV for Dr Stone) for Manga Entertainment Q4 2020 release slate - Batch 3:
Amazon links for Manga Entertainment Q4 2020 release slate - Batch 4:
  • Black Clover: Season 2 Part 5 - Blu-ray / DVD - 2nd November
  • Fairy Gone: Part 2 - Blu-ray / DVD - 19th October
  • Fire Force: Season 1 Part 2 - Blu-ray / DVD - 26th October
  • High School DxD New - Blu-ray / DVD - 5th October
  • Hunter x Hunter: Part 1 - Blu-ray - 30th November
  • Steins;Gate the Movie: Load Region of Deja Vu - Blu-ray / DVD - 30th November
Note: some titles are still in progress of being made available so it may take a little while longer than others. The limited editions for ARIFURETA, Cautious Hero and Dr. STONE are now finally available to order after being unavailable for a few weeks.

(Disclaimer: Amazon links are affiliated, which will support me if you buy anything through the links provided.)
Amazon links for Manga Entertainment Q4 2020 release slate - Batch 5 aka Dragon Ball:
(Disclaimer: Amazon links are affiliated, which will support me if you buy anything through the links provided.)

now im sitting here thinking

didn't one of these get a 4k print ?

maybe not

so the double set for HMV is fancier than the Reg one ?

not interested in any dvds but BDs cool :)

It bugs me there's no title on the LE spine but I'll definitely pick it up for only £25.

Hopefully they'll do more stuff like this in the future.
I was going to say the exact same thing! That Monster Matsume LE still annoys me! 😂
I'll pick up the poster version for sure though.

remind me what the diffrence is ? they seem to all be using the same promo art .............
The Ltd edition has an art booklet but the hmv edition has a poster instead.

Otherwise I think they're the same. Personally I'd rather the booklet to the poster.

Edit it also looks like the limited edition may have more on disc extras as the manga press release only mentions them for the limited edition but not the hmv or standard versions.

Last edited:
Back