Crunchyroll Awards - Categories and Judges Announced

D1tchd1gger

Shrine Maiden
The categories and the judges have been announced for the Crunchyroll Awards for the best of 2018s anime.

The awards for actual shows have been streamlined with the categories for Best Comedy, SOL, Drama, Action and Continuing Series all gone. Presumably because there can be a lot of crossover between these categories. Best Film and, of course, Anime of the Year remain the same.

New awards added focus on the production side with Best VA (one for Japanese and one for English), Best Director, Best Character Design and Best Fight Sequence all added, although Best Score and CGI have gone. Best Animation, Boy and Girl remain the same.

Also returning, but with tweaks are Best Opening and Ending with the word Sequence added to them and Hero and Villain are now Protagonist and Antagonist.

The Best Manga category has also been cut.

The 21 judges come from a cross section of the Anime industry encompassing commerce, creation and criticism and from a fairly wide selection of countries with the UK and Germany represented and, of course, the US along with some Latin American and other European countries.
The voting starts on the 11th of January and the awards will be streamed via Twitch on the 16th of February.

What are your thoughts on potential nominees in these categories? And potential winners.

Last edited:
Anyone, no! OK I'll kick off. The VA award for the Japanese one is a little odd as unless you speak da lingo you're not going to get the full performance. So it'll be for a popular character which will also be down to the writer as well as the VA or a popular VA, or a popular VA doing a popular character. So my betting is it will be something like Kana Hanazawa for Shirase from APFTTU or Mamoru Miyano for Rintaru Okabe.
As for the English VA I haven't watched too many this year, but again Rintaru Okabe's VA, John Michael Tatum, will probably be there.

I think KanaHana will win because of Red Blood Cell too.
I feel Miyano was better as Okabe in the VN but then again the whole anime is sub par compared to the VN.

Not sure who I’d choose for best English VA since I’ve only watched a handful of Simuldubs but Ian Sinclair is doing a great job as Sugimoto in Golden Kamuy, and J Michael Tatum as Okabe as mentioned above.

For the other categories I’m not really sure either. I’d want Hozuki’s Coolheadness 2nd Season to get some praise but I doubt it will. Still deliberating on my anime of the year atm.

I think KanaHana will win because of Red Blood Cell too.
Yeah, good shout. I would go for Shirase more though as she had more to do as the character had more depth to her. I know you haven't seen that though.
I also remembered she's Mayuri in Steins;Gate 0, but as I said I watched the dub.

I'd probably go for either Houchu Ohtsuka (Tsurumi from Golden Kamuy) or Mamoru Miyano for best VA. Haven't really watched any dubs aside from the Bloom into You dub so I can't really comment on that.

Finishes Jan 20th but thats not its fault its more the scheduling and the typhoon.
Its either VE MHA S3 or universe thats my problem its a popularity contest. Admittedly MiA won last year cos protest vote but MHA won everything else.

Oh Tsurune is only 13 episodes. Got its episode count confused with Run with the Wind. And yeah MHA will likely win a good chunk of those awards. Then again I reckon Yuru Camp might do well.

Violet Evergarden was great but it had inconsistency with it's episodes. There were good episodes, then there's stuff like episode 10 which broke me tbh.

MHA I feel would definitely win a few purely on the basis of having an established fanbase.

Finishes Jan 20th but thats not its fault its more the scheduling and the typhoon.
Its either VE MHA S3 or universe thats my problem its a popularity contest. Admittedly MiA won last year cos protest vote but MHA won everything else.
Or Bunny-Girl Senpai.
Free! 3 had too many repeated plotlines from previous seasons and Banana Fish started good, but started going round in circles in the second half. Tsurune seems to be "how can we repeat the Free success, just change the characters slightly and use a different sport". All have good art and animation though.

Tsurune isn’t copying free it’s copying most KyoAni in general. And most shows go in circle in sequel seasons but free bought me more joy than anything else this season so easily if isn’t critically brilliant it’s easily my fav. Like wise for BF it is rushed at points but is easily the best new show.
Bunny girl just makes me feel Haruhi and monogatari is better. Like this weeks episode was alright but people were like its amazing I just dont like Kaede cos she is a trope a sister trope which when anime moves away from ill be happy.

I wonder if FranXX will win anything? If there was a worst ending award it’d take the cake. A shame they cut the best manga category but then again everyone ignores my choice Tokyo Ghoul: re anyways (the lacklustre anime isn’t doing it any favours.)

I though Franxx would win loads then opinion just flipped I still despise it even though ive seem like 2 episodes. Not for the ending that I know of it more its questionable gay plot. Best girl could still be 002.

While I'd love Laid-Back Camp to win some awards I'm not sure if it's really had as great an impact outside of Japan where it sold so well it secured three new projects.

I'd settle for a best director nomination I suppose

Back