Converting my lady to anime

serpantino

Thousand Master
I've been slowly subjecting my girlfriend to anime and it's started sticking. We progressed from the odd film to watching our first first series together (Eden of the East) last weekend and we went through the lot over 2 days (inc-films). She keeps asking for more but most of what I have probably won't appeal to her and now that the hook is set I really want to reel her in and find some anime we can enjoy together, especially series (26 episode max.)

I'm planning on trying to watch Chobits, Wolf's Rain, Stein's Gate & Madoka Magica with her at the moment and we've been working our way through the Ghibli's. She's also seen & enjoyed: Journey to Agartha, The Girl Who Lept Through Time and Wolf Children.

Decent dubs are a must really as she struggles to keep up with subtitles sometimes and I would love any ideas for accessible mecha/sci-fi/fantasy you think she'd enjoy as those are my favourite.

Fullmetal Alchemist/Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Fate/Zero
Trigun
Code Geass
Kino's Journey

Glad you're showing her Madoka Magica and Stein's Gate, they're great!

Leave it to me

Death note will defiantly will get her in
Fate zero
Wolf's rain
Monster
Gurren lagann
Baccono
Clannad
Romeo and Juliet
Kanon
The counte of monte cristo
Basilisk
Full metal alcmist
Trigun
Another
When they cry

If I can get my family in to anime then I'm your man...........

Stick to the big guns till she becomes interested

Bebop's always a good choice

I note you mention your favourites, perhaps you should be angling these opening series more towards her preferences or at least middle ground?

Rosencrantz said:

I note you mention your favourites, perhaps you should be angling these opening series more towards her preferences or at least middle ground?

I have cowboy bebop complete on preorder, will probably watch the film with her and if she enjoys it, watch the series... Manga UK seem to keep knocking back the release date though. I am focusing on series I think she'll enjoy at the moment, the plan is to watch the first 3/4 episodes and if she likes it then carry on. I just threw in my favourite genres as I'd like to introduce her to what I really enjoy too.

-------------------------------

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Keep them coming and feel free to recommend some films too!

There's a few there I need to look into and a few I'll definitely try. I've recently finished watching Code Geass so I might leave that one a while, think it might be a bit tough for her to follow. I'd love to watch FMA: Brotherhood with her sometime but I think it's a big undertaking atm with 64 episodes and I don't want to put her off.

It's hard to say what she likes at the moment but I don't think she'd enjoy Gurren Lagann or Fate Zero but I could be wrong, I'll suggest she takes a look at Gurren Lagann as it's on Netflix.

Rosencrantz said:

Backing Cowboy Bebop, it's a pretty solid gateway as there's not much of a cultural barrier with that show. I can imagine Baccano being good as well if you can keep up with the plot. Both of these shows have some fairly good dubs.

Another show that might be good is Slayers if she's into the whole Medieval Fantasy thing, I personally enjoyed the dub, but I don't know if anyone else has.

I converted my gent to anime.

He likes Black Butler, Heat Guy J, HOTD, Samurai Champloo, Fullmetal Alchemist (both), Elfen Lied, Ah! My Goddess, Shiki, The World God Only Knows, High School DxD and a few more. Perhaps try her with some of those? Oooooh and Ouran High School Host Club. Attempted Death Note and Bebop and he wasn't interested :'( lol.

Okay, I'll give it a shot going by what she's enjoyed.

TV:
Escaflowne would be my top pick. Mecha, Fantasy and Romance.
xxxHolic for the fantasy aspect, quite a popular show with girls too.
Fruits Baskets same as holic.
Spice & Wolf, fantastic dub.
Ah! My Goddess, was one of first shows I watched, was my sweetest Anime introduction.

Maybe Kids On The Slope & Darker Than Black too.

FIlms:
Garden Of Words
Paprika
Maybe the Broken Blade films?

If she liked Escaflowne, I'd maybe try Claymore - no mechs, but a similar dark fantasy tone.

And likewise with xxxHolic - the next logical one would be Tsubasa - though it's pretty hard to find the volumes at reasonable prices these days.

Also, maybe give Rozen Maiden a go (I recommend it to everyone)

Personally, I'd have thought Chobits would be a risky choice for someone relatively new. I suppose it depends on the person, but I feel it's a very anime kind of show with a lot of cultural idioms that might seem weird and offputting to the uninitiated.

On a more positive note, I'd agree wholeheartedly on Baccano and Steins;Gate.

Oooooh yeah Baccano! that's one my gent and I like too. I agree with that recommendation as well as the Escaflowne one too. You could get hold of the film that way also.

Kids on The Slope might be a good one now that the other guys have mentioned it, it doesn't have many of the typical anime tropes that could potentially put off newcomers. I would throw His & Her Circumstances into my suggestions too, it's one of the more believable Rom-Coms out there in my opinion, and probably a better choice than Chobits if you're going for that genre. I can't comment on the dubs for either show though.

If she's enjoyed The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, then Summer Wars seems like the next logical step, it's by the same people.

Here's an idea

Why dont we turn this thread in to a ..........how to convince or convert my acquaintance/friend/family or what ever to watch anime thread.

I mean come on this is a good idea for a thread.

Still reading everything and saving recommendations... maybe Chobits is a bit much for her at the moment. We have been watching the odd episode of Fruits Basket here and there but I'm not sure it's clicking with either of us, we mainly seem to watch it when overtired and unable to sleep though which doesn't help.

serpantino said:
I've been slowly subjecting my girlfriend to anime and it's started sticking.
Alright... Sounds a bit awkward.
serpantino said:
She keeps asking for more
Good.
serpantino said:
but most of what I have probably won't appeal to her
Probably doesn't equal certainly. You never know, try. A bullet not shot is a bullet that won't hit.
serpantino said:
and now that the hook is set I really want to reel her in and find some anime we can enjoy together, especially series (26 episodes max.)
Okay.
serpantino said:
I'm planning on trying to watch Chobits, Wolf's Rain, Stein's Gate & Madoka Magica with her at the moment and we've been working our way through the Ghibli's. She's also seen & enjoyed: Journey to Agartha, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Wolf Children.
Maybe others can back what I'm about to say, but wouldn't it be a good idea to wait for the Steins;Gate movie to be released first and then watch the entire franchise at once instead of now watching the series and watch the movie somewhere in 2015? (It has been licensed in America and will get an English dub)

I'm personally also postponing watching Madoka Magica due to me waiting for the third movie to be dubbed.

serpantino said:
Decent dubs are a must
That's quite subjective, and depends on a series of factors.
One of the factors being whether or not you find a dub bad as soon as it diverges from the subs of the Japanese dub.
And another factor being whether or not you find a dub bad just because the American distributor is using certain voice actors too much.
(There are of course also factors like personal taste, guilty pleasures, etc.)

I mean, while your girlfriend is new to anime she'll have the most vanilla opinion if it comes to whether or not a show is enjoyable in relation to its dub and I think our opinion of whether something has a good dub or not is less relative now than it will be in 6 months from here if she continues to watch anime dubbed. And honestly, tastes differ a lot. Who knows, maybe she'll be a Sentai fangirl and love every dub of theirs while Mangaranga, NormanicGrav, Emo185 and Robert88UK expressed a strong dislike of quite a few to lot of them.

For your information: The first set of anime I finished all were Sentai Filmworks' dubs and I found them genius, awesome et all.
Yeah, I recognized Greg Ayres and Hillary Haag quite quickly in multiple of those, but didn't find them misplaced, miscasted or annoying.
However, a rant of mine about tastes, recommendations and whether or not certain dubs are actually bad or not is due another day (it'll be quite the task to write my thoughts down).

You know, one thing I'd recommend is trying to switch from "studio" every other anime you watch.
What I mean by that is: after you watched a Funimation dub, don't watch another Funimation dub, but watch for instance a Bang Zoom or Sentai dub.
What also could be done is after watching a recent (2013 for instance) dub you watch an old dub (2001 for instance).
I mean, I imagine some people create a hatred/dislike for something because they burn themselves out on something.

And I might sound stupid here, but do you show your lady the trailers that are available on an anime release? She might find something interesting by doing that.

serpantino said:
Decent dubs are a must really as she struggles to keep up with subtitles sometimes and I would love any ideas for accessible mecha/sci-fi/fantasy you think she'd enjoy as those are my favourite.
Well, I don't know whether your/her taste in anime is in any sense compatible with mine, but let's see..

My favourite anime to date is Angel Beats!, officially it's not fantasy, but well.. =P 14 episodes. (and a minisode)
A mecha/sci-fi anime I loved was Vandread. It has a total of 26 episodes.
A fantasy anime I loved was The Tower of Druaga. It has a total of 25 episodes. Mind there are 2 versions of episode 1.
Another fantasy I loved was TsukuYomi: Moon Phase. It has 26 episodes.
A sci-fi anime I loved was Needless, but unlike the others mentioned by me it does have a fair bit of fan service. 24 full episodes and a minisode series.

Mind that neither Vandread or Moon Phase are currently available on DVD in the UK.

SnowWolf said:
Fullmetal Alchemist/Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
I find it hilarious the OP says "26 episodes max" and the first recommendation is way beyond that. =P

I also want to say I think watching Clannad with your girlfriend is a must, despite it totalling 49 episodes over 2 seasons.
But I find it important to say about everybody who has seen it I know agrees season 2 is emotion heavy. I couldn't stop crying from season 2 episode 9 on... Heavy stuff.
It's so heavy I would recommend you to NOT watch it when you MUST go places the few days after you watch the final 10~ish episodes.
Quite a long period after watching Clannad After Story I started crying just thinking about it, so be warned if you are sentimental it might happen to you/her as well.
It's not a bad thing, but if you are or she is sentimental you need to be prepared to explain why you're crying in the middle of "business" (eg. class).
I will definitely rewatch it someday after I finish college, Clannad is tremendously awesome and beautiful.

So... essentially what I'm saying is: next summer break, preserve a week alone time with the lady and the first day of that alone time should be when you watch episode 9 of season 2, in my opinion at least.

animefreak17 said:
Here's an idea

Why don't we turn this thread in to a ..........how to convince or convert my acquaintance/friend/family or what ever to watch anime thread.

I mean come on this is a good idea for a thread.
What you find a good idea isn't necessarily a good idea to the masses or other individuals. (Just saying; no hate!)

I think these kind of threads really should be more personal given every person asking recommendations has a different background and different requests/goals.
For instance, Serpantino asked for mecha/sci-fi/fantasy ft. decent dubs. Somebody else perhaps couldn't care less about dubs or hate mecha etc.
I mean, there are a lot of genres of anime and every person is (or should be) unique and none of our tastes here on AUKN completely overlap!

Don't take this personal, I'm just giving my stance on this.

serpantino said:
Still reading everything and saving recommendations... maybe Chobits is a bit much for her at the moment. We have been watching the odd episode of Fruits Basket here and there but I'm not sure it's clicking with either of us, we mainly seem to watch it when overtired and unable to sleep though which doesn't help.
When tired: sleep. When tired you shouldn't watch an anime for the first time.
There's no use in watching something "new" when tired because you'll forget it much easier because you can't pay as much attention because your brain wants to shut down.

Ghost in the Shell might be a good option, you can always watch the movie to see if it's for her, before tackling the series. I haven't watched it yet, but Psycho Pass might be worth considering as well.

I agree with the following recommendations:

Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, Code Geass, Baccano! and Steins;Gate. As much as I would like to suggest Fate/Zero, the first episode being 45 minutes of talking does put a lot of people off.

Back