Claymore

Nemphtis

Hunter
I recently watched this series and it was a nice upgrade over My-HiME which wasn't too special. The pacing seemed pretty good to me, the fights didn't feel stretched out yet they weren't chopping down enemies within minutes. I'm curious about the ending though, I assume there's going to be a second season to this based on how it all turned out. Does anyone know if such a thing has been announced yet, unless the ending was supposed to make me feel like the Halo 2 ending.

The ending is filler, so I dunno how they're gonna make a second season when the events in the manga are different. But yeah, it was a good series, I love it. It only just finished in September. lol. Don't think they will announce a new season for a long time, considering that the anime was about... 10 chapters or so behind the actual manga it was used to adapt from.

Like Lupus said, the last two episodes where filler, and the manga itself is still ongoing if i remember rightly, so how they would go about a second series would be interesting, but i would think it would go down a different route to the manga.

Lupus Inu said:
The ending is filler, so I dunno how they're gonna make a second season when the events in the manga are different. But yeah, it was a good series, I love it. It only just finished in September. lol. Don't think they will announce a new season for a long time, considering that the anime was about... 10 chapters or so behind the actual manga it was used to adapt from.

What's up with that, wouldn't it be easier for them to finish releasing the manga and then proceed to create the anime series? Last I checked, anime like Naruto have this problem as well. I don't follow the anime industry too deeply, so can someone explain why they simply must release the anime at the same time, knowing that they'll probably need to stuff half of it with fillers?

I was expecting the ending to be just as great as the rest of the series, but I was left thinking 'this cannot be the end' as the final few minutes of the episode ticked away. It just didn't leave me feeling content, I feel as though someone just told me a story and simply shouted "THE END" in the middle of a sentence, calmly walking away just when it was getting good.

Nemphtis said:
What's up with that, wouldn't it be easier for them to finish releasing the manga and then proceed to create the anime series? Last I checked, anime like Naruto have this problem as well. I don't follow the anime industry too deeply, so can someone explain why they simply must release the anime at the same time, knowing that they'll probably need to stuff half of it with fillers?

Well, y'see, it goes a little somethin' like this:

Claymore is released 12 times a year as it was in Monthly Shounen Jump [defunct] now it's in Jump Square [AKA SQ] it gets around 30 pages a chapter. While Naruto is released at least 50 times a year on average as it's published in Weekly Shounen Jump. Naruto has at least 18 pages a chapter except for the first which is 40+. Now Madhouse are known to adapt things PERFECTLY and they couldn't do this with Claymore as they ran out of material too fast as like a volume of Claymore was put into a single episode sometimes unlike Naruto which gets like 10 episodes on average a volume or Shippuden which is doing like 3/4 of a chapter an episode.

Nemphtis said:
I was expecting the ending to be just as great as the rest of the series, but I was left thinking 'this cannot be the end' as the final few minutes of the episode ticked away. It just didn't leave me feeling content, I feel as though someone just told me a story and simply shouted "THE END" in the middle of a sentence, calmly walking away just when it was getting good.
Yeah, it carries on, the last 4 episodes aren't canon, so they don't happen, apart from a few things which happen earlier on like Jean dying to help Clare from awakening and resort back to her average form.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nemphtis said:
It's easier to get funding for (and presumably easier to get cash back from) a series which is made while the manga is still running and there's plenty of visible, active interest in it. Once a manga is finished, not only does some interest die away, but it's harder to judge what interest still remains.

Nemphtis said:
I feel as though someone just told me a story and simply shouted "THE END" in the middle of a sentence, calmly walking away just when it was getting good.
Sucks, don't it? ^^;
I remember the "endings" to Narutaru and Twin Spica :(

There's very little which enrages me more than a great series which ends badly. I loved Claymore, but the end was an absolute disappointment. I really hope they find a way to continue this one. :(

Isn't there a solution to this by simply keeping to the source material and not ending the anime. I mean let's look at it like this, the ending is removed and the final four episodes revolve around the manga up to that point. Now seeing as Claymore is considered successful, they could create a second season which continues the manga chapters which have built up in the time the studio took a break to perhaps work on something else.

It's like Black Lagoon, the first season didn't have any ending, the second season also didn't have a real ending if I recall. It had room to continue, though I don't think Black Lagoon was based on a manga. Isn't this the easiest solution though? I would rather not have any real ending at all, than have fillers and a really awful ending. Though not having an ending sounds harsh, because I'm saying they should only add the ending when the manga has an ending, instead of just saying "and then she died and the world was safe, the end."

Nemphtis said:
though I don't think Black Lagoon was based on a manga.
You are wrong with this statement. Black Lagoon was based on a manga and the events that happen in that aren't in the same order as they were in the anime. The manga hasn't been licensed for a US/UK release yet, So I'm quite annoyed I have yet to read it. But... Yeah.. Its based on a manga.

As for the "Open Ending" plause, I wouldn't really be happy. I can see it happening with something like Black Lagoon because of its episodic nature. I haven't seen Claymore - But the ending has been changed probably because it was decided one series was enough. I suppose they could continue it on with manga-based OVA's just skipping the last filler-based episode or leave it like FullMetal Alchemist. A filler Claymore could be made I suppose. But as I say, I haven't seen it and I don't know how the studio handles the ending.

Jayme said:
Nemphtis said:
though I don't think Black Lagoon was based on a manga.
You are wrong with this statement. Black Lagoon was based on a manga and the events that happen in that aren't in the same order as they were in the anime. The manga hasn't been licensed for a US/UK release yet, So I'm quite annoyed I have yet to read it. But... Yeah.. Its based on a manga.

As for the "Open Ending" plause, I wouldn't really be happy. I can see it happening with something like Black Lagoon because of its episodic nature. I haven't seen Claymore - But the ending has been changed probably because it was decided one series was enough. I suppose they could continue it on with manga-based OVA's just skipping the last filler-based episode or leave it like FullMetal Alchemist. A filler Claymore could be made I suppose. But as I say, I haven't seen it and I don't know how the studio handles the ending.

Ah, I didn't know that was based on a manga. Great anime though, so I may consider checking it out if it gets a UK release. As for not seeing Claymore, if you've seen the Gantz anime compared to the Gantz manga, you'll get the picture quite clearly. If there's no realistic way around this, I at least expect the shoddy ending they slap together to be enjoyable. I would choose 'lacking' for the one word that describes this ending.

I'd have to agree with everyone on this one. I'm a huge fan of the Claymore anime and was hooked from start to.... almost finish. Like you, I was gravely disappointed by the ending we were given. Only by talking about it did I find how different it was to the manga. I'm actually reading the manga now to see the difference. I've heard it's still being published and the story is starting to lack intrest. Basicly they're running out of plot and don't seem to know what they want to do next. I really hope they get their act together and re-invent an ending for this series. It's been done before so wouldn't suprise me if they did release a 2nd ending for the anime. I'm not keeping my hopes up however, chances are this will be the last we'll see of the Claymore anime. Time will tell like.

I was a huge fan of the series, great story, brilliantly unfolding showing them as heartless killers to begin with and then showing that each of them has feelings and emotions but have suppress them in order to live on.

Not sure if I'd want a second the series, the first one was so good I'd be affraid they'd do something stupid and put them up againts the north and south rulers which would mean a huge power up for them as they barely managed to kill Awaken Ones.

The mangas story is starting to dwindle a little, but it's still a good read.

McIcy said:
I'd be afraid they'd do something stupid and put them up againts the north and south rulers which would mean a huge power up for them as they barely managed to kill Awaken Ones.

That's pretty much what's going down lol.

Did the filler really deviate that far off from the manga anyway? Someone earlier mentioned how it is faithful up to where Jean sacrifices herself, as I recall everything that happens afterwards is more or less trivial, its why it was such an awful ending.

Surely it wouldn't be too difficult to adapt a second series if they changed the begining of the next one slightly. I don't honestly know because I haven't read all of the manga.

Wildcard said:
Did the filler really deviate that far off from the manga anyway? Someone earlier mentioned how it is faithful up to where Jean sacrifices herself, as I recall everything that happens afterwards is more or less trivial, its why it was such an awful ending.
Well yeah, that happens, but differently, after Clare wtfpwns Rigardo she can't turn back and she wants to have Deneve or Helen kill her but then Jean comes and saves the day. In the anime Priscilla goes to the battle ground goes berserk and then Clare goes after her and so an epic filler battle ensues.

I'm sure if we're chatting about this enough in the Uk then there must be a similar feeling over in Japan and with enough interest in having a 'proper ending' we may see another series. Or, more likely I suspect, we may get an OVA instead to tie things up. I'd certainly like to see a little more from this franchise yet.

Its a great series and is worth watching because its got a lot of action and is very addictive.I hope that there is going to be another series but it would be better if there were less filler episodes.

I'm guessing by the inavailability of up1 and amazon, that Claymore isn't dubbed yet. Is that the correct assumption?

I've just been watching an AMV, but the actual scenes of the show and preview had got me interested.

Not dubbed yet, however has been announced that the first Vol of the English dubbed series will be out in America Fall this year. So unless you have a multi regional DVD player. It may be a while before it's added to your collection.
:roll:

Back