Clannad (TV)

Otaku-san

Chuunibyou
The 3rd installment from Key visual novels and another Kyoto animation production.
Course i gather most people already know much news about it, but id thought id mention it anyway that the series is already licensed under Sentai Filmworks and will be localised by ADV films (our much loved company), this 23 episode series will be distributed over 6 volumes and have the first one out by mid April 09.

Considering this is ADV theres no doubt there's gonna be a dub made on this series. anyone willing to guess who it maybe or have any further information?

Theres not much information to the Clannad movie, done by Teoi (same as Air), but most likely be done by ADV still

This would have made it the third license that ADV had on a series that was produced by the same animation team and VN company, which now many of its licenses are going to FUNi now.

Other then that anyone willing to watch or buy this series?

I watched the first series out of some bizzare curiosity. I was expecting it to be complete garbage, but it was actually alright in places. It was fairly funny, but I think the drama side let it down. The whole moe aspect put me off too, particularly with Nagisa and her overly submissive character.

Honestly, I don't think I'll be in a rush to get it.

OK, I'll bite ;)

Huge Key fanboy here, so yeah I'm eagerly waiting on the ADV release; and definitely hoping the same doesn't happen to Clannad what happened to Kanon (i.e. licence getting transferred with all but the last DVD released; big hugs to FUNi for finishing the release fairly quickly).

Can't say I'm that interested in the English speaking VA's though, since I'm way too used to the characters speaking in Japanese.
I watched approximately 15 seconds of Kanon's Ayu in dub and have luckily wiped the memory of it since ;)

Following Clannad ~ After Story at the moment, and if anything that's working out to be better than the first series, most likely because it's one of those rare instances where you get to see what happens to the characters next after the obvious ending.

Like any moe based series at the moment though, Clannad's going to be marmite to most people; you'll either like it or hate it. Just look at the kerfuffle that went off when After Story was included in ANN's autumn reviews ;)

I welcomed in the new year this year watching my Kanon DVD's back to back; if I'm lucky I may get the chance to welcome in next year with Clannad ;)

I wouldn't say i'm a massive Key fan, but i have to admit, i did thoroughly enjoy Kanon, Clannad was pretty good as well. I am/am trying to watch through After Story at present as well, the only problem i've had till now is time, so i may clock in an hour or two to catch up with some that i missed. At least from what i can tell bar some of the obvious filler bits, it has followed the Visual novel fairly closely. I may go and pick this up, but no doubt if i do it'll be one i pick up in the summer due to my current money situation, which is why i only have two volumes of Kanon currently.

As for the dub for it, i'm not sure who could do a few of the roles actually. Chris Patton may have done a half decent job in Kanon, but i expect he wouldn't fit in much in Clannad. You could probably expect a couple of recogniseable names in the dub, but i doubt i can guess who would VA who.

Fellistowe said:
I watched approximately 15 seconds of Kanon's Ayu in dub and have luckily wiped the memory of it since ;)

yeah i gathered someone would mention that, it was kinda funny to hear Brittney doing the part, but i think she played it off fairly well. i know dubs have a lose of translation, but i don't think i would have found it as funny when hearing Chris Patton

Arble's said:
As for the dub for it, i'm not sure who could do a few of the roles actually. Chris Patton may have done a half decent job in Kanon, but i expect he wouldn't fit in much in Clannad.

well i wouldn't think they would have Chris involved again, as much as Luci Christian and Monica Rial in Air. However what i will note is that the male procrastinate is considered a delinquent to the viewer, which may pass some relay who knows.

Maybe they may pick out someone from FUNi, like Brendon Potter or something x3

Wildcard said:
I watched the first series out of some bizzare curiosity. I was expecting it to be complete garbage, but it was actually alright in places. It was fairly funny, but I think the drama side let it down. The whole moe aspect put me off too, particularly with Nagisa and her overly submissive character.

Honestly, I don't think I'll be in a rush to get it.
*repeat for Voddas*

Otaku-san said:
It basically depicts that ADV are only going to release Clannad as a sub release now. I think they choose a bad time to pick it up in the first place
It's quite cheap as a result. Apparently the first half-season quickly sold out in many online stores, so financially speaking the decision may well have paid off.

Zin5ki said:
Otaku-san said:
It basically depicts that ADV are only going to release Clannad as a sub release now. I think they choose a bad time to pick it up in the first place
It's quite cheap as a result. Apparently the first half-season quickly sold out in many online stores, so financially speaking the decision may well have paid off.

true, but i was kinda looking foward to a third installment of them doing another key product dubbed. but well there you go

Otaku-san said:
true, but i was kinda looking foward to a third installment of them doing another key product dubbed. but well there you go
Understandable. A lot of people across the pond feel that way as well. Then again, over here we normally have more experience of not getting our way.

true but the blows not that big of a deal, theres plenty of other content to look foward. but as i said the way the things are now in the world well it's no wonder. a small loss

IMHO, releases without dubs might be the way forward. Cheaper, quicker, cleaner. Will be interesting to see if others will follow. My opinion may be slightly biased by the fact that I grew up in a small European country and have watched virtually everything I have ever seen with subs.

Anyway, does anyone have any rumours of European release dates for the Key/Visual Arts series? Considering they opted out on the dub on Clannad it should be short work to re-convert it to R2, redesign the box cover and just ship it. What about the Funimation/Revelation transfered ones? Will they ever come to Europe?

Hillster said:
Anyway, does anyone have any rumours of European release dates for the Key/Visual Arts series? Considering they opted out on the dub on Clannad it should be short work to re-convert it to R2, redesign the box cover and just ship it. What about the Funimation/Revelation transfered ones? Will they ever come to Europe?
Considering they are considered niche shows by most, possibly a reason why Clannad is currently sub-only, it appears unlikely that a large enough fanbase in a smaller country would exist to ensure moe titles like these would be profitable.
Plus, many of the paying moe fans over here are already well-versed in importing.

When it was announced that Clannad would be released without a dub, I wondered what all the fuss was about. Then I watched Kanon in English and realized why people were so upset. Characters who have annoying squeaky helium voices in the original actually sound like real teenagers in the dub, and I found it far easier to relate to them. But economics are what matters, and Funimation are the only US distributor who can afford to dub everything.

Regarding European releases of Key anime, I wouldn't be too hopeful. ADV UK didn't seem interested while they were about; Revelation's release schedule is glacially slow; and Manga's schedule is ridiculously busy. Clannad seems unlikely because I can't remember the last sub-only release from any UK distributor, although ADV may decide to release it here at some point.

Clannad is great, its one of my favourite anime series, i finished it last week, its really, really good, i just started watching After Story as well.

SundayMorningCall said:
Clannad is great, its one of my favourite anime series, i finished it last week, its really, really good, i just started watching After Story as well.

Uh oh

"EXPECTED FLOOD WORKS FROM SUNDAY MORNING!!!"

Otaku-san said:
SundayMorningCall said:

Uh oh

?

why, is After Story sad?

there were some sad moments in Clannad as well!

SundayMorningCall said:
Otaku-san said:
SundayMorningCall said:

Uh oh

?

why, is After Story sad?

there were some sad moments in Clannad as well!

hell well its no good spoiling it for ya, so watch it then tell us what you think ;)

Back