christmas presents thread

Long time since posting, but what with preparing season festivities, and what little anime related gifts I did get, got damaged. Not to worry now as it's been sorted and the fellow was generous enough to send another copy (happened to be MVM's Starship Operators), hopefully will get Kanon soon. Though volumes 16-22 of Excel Saga came through nicely ^-^.
Done a re-read of that over the course of the new year, just 5 more to go

My family (except Ryo) has ABSOLUTELY no clue what to get me relating to anime/manga, even if I did spell it out for them/told them where to get it. So I tell them to get me more generalised or well-known items.

I dont try to tell people what I want for Xmas, unless they're really stuck. Hell, if I'm told to make a list, I purposely add "Something [colour]" to see what they get me. At least I'm trying to keep it festive with surprises (which is what they were in the good ol' days, not this mind-devolving and uninspiring Santa's list.) Otherwise, I only look forward to the meal... and that's it. Presents would be "expected," thus wrapping them would probably be a waste of time and money.
Do you guys/gals think there's a point to do that now, or is conformity to the dull inevitable?

Due to the unfortunate circumstance of my gender, if I don't specifically tell people what to get me I end up receiving a bizarre collection of useless things which I just throw away or give to a charity shop the week after Christmas. I'm talking about things like earrings (I have never had pierced ears, yet I have been given these as a present several times!), clothes (I don't wear clothes I didn't choose myself), perfumes (I don't wear perfume), wine (I don't drink), make-up (I have no idea how to apply it) and various beautifying things which make my skin flare up in rashes. Once I was almost given tickets to a spa, of all things. Perhaps people are trying to tell me something. If I were male and received socks and remote controlled helicopters instead, it would be slightly less awkward, but instead of wasting everyone's time (not least of all, my own) I do provide a list upon request for the benefit of those people who like me enough to want to buy me a gift but don't know me well enough to choose something suitable. It's handy that Amazon sell so much nowadays that even fairly esoteric products can be easy to procure; besides, I know my mother-in-law reads books she's giving away before wrapping them so it might trigger her as-yet-undiscovered love of manga...

Since my tiny house is full of so much anime stuff, it's genuinely inconvenient to store things I don't want or like ^^; I don't use girly handbags, and upon clearing out my cupboard I counted no less than eleven of the bally things that I'd slung in there in the past when people gave them to me. Erm, it's kind of them, but I don't need eleven 'fashionable' handbags when I have a bag already. Really. They were all relocated to a local charity shop unused.

It's unromantic but I prefer to be genuinely happy when I receive something, rather than having to start thinking about how I'm going to tactfully throw it away.

R, the ungrateful demolisher of tradition

And people say I'm hard to buy for! I'm genuinely happy with things like socks and ties, not sure why people complain about them. My main present this year was a Kindle and I also received a lot of hot chocolate and coffee for some reason.

Was my birthday this week too and I got some hair clippers (I got rid of my long hair at the end of last year) and a bunch of Amazon vouchers.

Don't tend to get anime from my family as they know nothing about it, other than my baby sister who enjoys the Ghibli films and a few other bits and pieces (in fact I got her a Howl's Moving Castle t shirt for Xmas).

I tend to just go with the flow and not really ask for anything. I enjoy the surprise factor, though I'll usually end up knowing what one or two of the presents are due to parents strongly hinting that I shouldn't buy certain things.

Echoing what others have said, my family doesn't really have a clue about anime or manga, so they don't get me it.

Without wanting to be offensive, I find the idea of buying stuff for myself and telling other people that it counts as their present to me to be pretty depressing. I'm not the most festive of blokes, but that really kills any kind of Christmas spirit in my mind!

FourthLion said:
I'm genuinely happy with things like socks and ties, not sure why people complain about them.

Would you genuinely feel the same way if the socks and ties were replaced by sparkly earrings and nail polish? :(

I don't have much interest in Christmas overall since I'm not Christian; it's just an excuse to give people things and get more stressed at work. I don't even eat meat so the traditional Christmas dinner isn't that exciting ^^;

R

Rui said:
FourthLion said:
I'm genuinely happy with things like socks and ties, not sure why people complain about them.

Would you genuinely feel the same way if the socks and ties were replaced by sparkly earrings and nail polish? :(

I wasn't referring to you with that line really, just they seem to be the most complained about times in general. I totally understand complaining about things you have NO USE for, but come on, everyone wears socks! I hope it isn't the people close to you that are misstepping with presents like that. I've had some amazing things from some people I guess, sunhats and a marble oil burner in the shape of a cat are two that spring to mind. Start wondering whether some relatives really know you at all. My main problem with gifts I don't have anywhere to put is that many of my aunties have got it into their head that I like puzzles and I end up with tons of puzzle books and 3D puzzles and marble puzzles and who knows what, far more than any one man can feasibly keep.

P.S. You not eating meat is a terrible revelation. I'm not sure we can be friends anymore :(

FourthLion said:
You not eating meat is a terrible revelation. I'm not sure we can be friends anymore :(
Y'know, the main reason I don't normally reveal the fact that I'm vegetarian unless absolutely necessary is so that I don't have to deal with the slew of ridiculous comments and questions. Surely you don't actually mean that, in which case why say it? It just serves to further alienate someone because they've taken a minority stance on something. I'm sure Rui and I are both tough enough to cope with that, but why contribute to perpetuating the idea that a certain lifestyle is to be shunned?

Where I'm from vegetarian isn't the minority stance. The comment from my perspective is born from many similar mirrored comments I receive for eating meat (and I do love a good steak :) ).

Of course I don't mean it. Do you seriously feel persecuted for what you eat? Was that comment really in any way offensive? I would've thought the main reason you don't mention it much is, like sexuality and anime preference, it shouldn't be a characteristic by which you are particularly defined.

That said I've just had my birthday totally usurped and utterly reworked thanks to people too fussy for their own good, which is perhaps why it was in my mind enough to make the comment. I have no qualms with people not eating whatever, but fussing hard enough to alter someone else's good time is another thing altogether. Which I don't imagine is an activity Rui gets up to so I'm sure it's fine (but neither of you are invited to my next party :p ).

Not offended as very little offends me, more just a case of causing eye-rolling and thoughts of "Here we go again". You're right about it not being something to define yourself by (people who do that annoy me as well and I wish I'd said so now). But when it seems like people are passing judgement on you for your views or choices it is quite easy to feel persecuted. I don't now because life has hammered me into tough enough stuff to withstand the judgement of others, but I sure did when I was a kid.

Heh, I do know what ayase means - it's like it's open season on making fun of me whenever it comes up (I didn't find the comment in this thread personally offensive, but I have to grind my teeth around some of my normally-sane real life friends a lot of the time). I go out of my way to avoid inconveniencing anyone else with my life decisions but for some reason the same questions always come up no matter who the other person is: "don't you miss meat?", "would anything tempt you..?", "plants are alive as well!", "fish/chicken/ham/sausages/shrimp isn't meat, really!", "what would you do if you found out something you had eaten had meat in it?", "how dare you judge others for eating meat" (I don't!), "how can you live without bacon?"...

(The most depressing aspect is that certain types of people always think their questions are new and original!)

In this case I brought it up myself, and I'm more than happy not attending a party where the highlight would be eating meat :) but then I'm the kind of person who'd just cook pasta or eat a sandwich for Christmas dinner if family didn't always demand some form of social gathering.

R

Rui said:
I go out of my way to avoid inconveniencing anyone else with my life decisions but for some reason the same questions always come up no matter who the other person is: "don't you miss meat?", "would anything tempt you..?", "plants are alive as well!", "fish/chicken/ham/sausages/shrimp isn't meat, really!", "what would you do if you found out something you had eaten had meat in it?", "how dare you judge others for eating meat" (I don't!), "how can you live without bacon?"...

(The most depressing aspect is that certain types of people always think their questions are new and original!)
Definitely. Other than the one about judging others (and that's such an inaccurate statement that it would probably rile me to such a degree that I would actually, physically attempt to tear the head off anyone who suggested as much with my bare hands) I've had every single one of those questions phrased in the exact same way. Why this seems to be a personal choice that it's socially fine to question at length, but you would probably get kicked out of someone's house for going on and on about why they painted their living room the colour they did, I have no idea.

I guess what I would say, FourthLion, is that if your family or friends are inconveniencing you with their choices then that does sound frustrating and I can't condone that. Perhaps I didn't expect such a scenario because I don't generally find myself in situations like those - Being as I am somewhat cold and stubborn, if something's going to inconvenience me I either don't do it or refuse to let the people who would be an inconvenience take part.

Is meat the main attraction in Xmas dinner then? I've always loved the desserts. I don't really like turkey though.

I don't think I've ever asked those questions/made those statements, but I will go straight for the blatantly anti-vegetarian ones :p I think it's a defence mechanism after all the anti-everything crap I had to hear every day while living in Brighton. Sounds like Rui's issue is almost more with idiots than persecution.

Personally I think people who eat, for example based on recent news, cows but not horses are much weirder than vegetarians (that said I do like to know what's in my food when i buy it). I was going to say something else but should probably stay quiet before this thread is totally derailed!

Edit @Ayase: I totally accept that I think my recent situation isn't helped by me being weak and wanting to include everyone and keep them happy and I probably should have just stuck to original plans, but it's difficult when people you know and love are making a great fuss. I don't get why it even matters as the meal is only 1 part of my 5 part birthday plan and I've told everyone they can come to whichever bits they like (and yet more people took issue with this too, as I wasn't considering those with limited finance who might want to come to all of it :roll: ). Makes you completely unable to enjoy something when people are coming out with strops like "You just do what you want for your birthday, just don't pretend to take me into consideration'. :roll: *RANT OVER*

Ah well, there's an opportunity to get back onto the subject of the inconveniencing of festivities...

FourthLion said:
"You just do what you want for your birthday, just don't pretend to take me into consideration"
See, my response to that would be a cheery "Will do!" and brace for the sound of a slamming door (I don't have a lot of friends).

I'm trying to become a Pescetarian, personally. But failing miserably I might add...

I do totally see where Rui and ayase are coming from though. I'm not even a vegetarian myself, and even I'm thoroughly tired of all the "Oh god, your not one of those vegetarians are you?" style lame remarks you always hear whenever it's revealed that someone doesn't eat meat.

Now liking Christmas desserts, that's pretty weird. I like sprouts (when not overcooked to the point of tasting strange) and parsnips and potatoes and all the rest of it, but Christmas pudding, Christmas cake, mince pies and the like are definitely too much! I do like people who enjoy Christmas desserts though, as it means they can eat mine for me and everyone ends up happy :)

(Having said that, Yule logs are yummy.)

I'm with ayase (again) on the fussy people wrecking your birthday though, Fourthlion! It's your birthday and the choice of how to celebrate it is yours, it's practically sacred! Try bursting into tears to see if you can traumatise them for life?

R

I really love brandy sauce and brandy butter too. I'm not even sure what you're supposed to do with brandy butter really, if I had my way (and didn't think it would be awful for my health) I;d eat it right out the tub.

Milady is currently in Paris on a culinary course and they did a Yule log just before Xmas, she brought it over and it was absolutely divine. Parsnips are awesome too. Although i overparsnipped at thanksgiving and didn't bother with any at Xmas.

On the birthday topic I'm unfortunately too sissy to do as Ayase would've and too manly to do what Rui suggests :p I'm sure I'll have a good time anyway, have just had to change some plans. Even the annoying high maintenance friends are often worth a little effort ;)

Rui said:
Due to the unfortunate circumstance of my gender

Well I wouldn't be too clued as what to get for a self-aware AI, that's been around for two centuries.....compressed air??

FourthLion said:
I really love brandy sauce and brandy butter too. I'm not even sure what you're supposed to do with brandy butter really

really?

Give you a clue..you put it on your dessert

Last edited by a moderator:
Back