Chinese government bans foreign animation from prime time tv

I'm sorry that i have offened you, i truely am. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I do see what you say about promoting homegrown products. But what i'm saying is that i feel the chinese government has a alteiroir motive.
A war was started on Iraq with the idea of getting rid of wepons of mass destruction. In the end it was just to get Sadam out and maybe for Oil. The government told us one thing and they really meant another.

Guyver 0 said:
I'm sorry that i have offened you, i truely am. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Don't worry too much though. ^^ I was kind of worried I would be offending you with my post so I'm glad we're both cool. (also pleased to meet you!)

I do see what you say about promoting homegrown products.

I think China get a bad press a lot of the time. That's not to say that it's not deserved in regards to some issues but I think it's also important to understand how far things have come. Definitely it isn't all Secret Police and Newspeak.

Anime has been doing quite well in China for some time ~ in fact the last anime news related article I read was coverage of an event in which popular singing duo, Gillian Chung and Charlene Choi were cosplaying as Pretty Cure to promote the Cantonese and Mandarin dubs of the show.

There's always going to be room for anime in the market, just not in a certain timeslot and that's not such a bad thing.

Dont you think the innocent Chinese public deserves the right to know what information they want and have prime time non-chinese cartoons, its little wonder why there is alot or bootleg stuff coming out of China.

Xelis said:
Dont you think the innocent Chinese public deserves the right to know what information they want

That's a really ambigious question. Of course, I do. I think everyone deserves the right to know what information they want. In reality though there is nowhere in the world where the issue of information is as clean cut as this.

and have prime time non-chinese cartoons, its little wonder why there is alot or bootleg stuff coming out of China.

That's a pretty cheap comment to back this up with. Yes, there's a lot of bootleg stuff coming out of China...there's also a lot coming out of Malaysia and Thailand and countless other places, including Europe and America.

I don't see how favouring homegrown industry for a couple of hours on television when the product is available elsewhere is a 'bad thing'. It might not be a popular decision but it's certainly not a terrible one.

Imagine if such measures were implemented in the UK and imaginative, homegrown content was made the focus of those hours over repeats of American shows. The situation might easily fall to pieces and there would certainly be a great number of people complaining that they had to watch The Simpsons in a different timeslot (note: different timeslot, these shows aren't being banned, they're being rescheduled) or buy the DVDs but on the other hand think of what it could for the creative industries here.

You know, there is the issue of poor Chinese/Japanese relationships in all this but I personally feel that this is the Chinese government promoting Chinese industry over imports...and I really don't think that's too much of a crime.

Yeah, it's no crime. But what does everyone think about China controlling information by the censoring Google and Yahoo?

They complain enough about Japanese kids not knowing about the crimes commited by Japanese troops 60 or 70-odd years ago but don't want their own knowing about the attrocities that happened during the cultural revolution and what is still going on in Tibet, not to mention their plans on eradicating the cultures of many small ethnic groups- like Chinese-Mongolians- in an effort to create a superstate with one solitary language and culture.

China is still a backwards and selfish country. This anime thing is just another step even if its a tiny one.

Its a shame that a country with such a rich and facinating history and culture can be so pathetic. Theres not all that much of a difference with North Korea when it comes to freedom of information in China.

I'm sure they have a break every day for a few minutes of hate and a cheer for Big Brother.

Chris said:
China is still a backwards and selfish country. This anime thing is just another step even if its a tiny one.

I can't agree with this (which I'm sure is probably evident from my other opinions). I'm not going to deny the somewhat underhanded manner in which the deal with Google was struck up and enforced but I simply don't agree with this interpretation of China.

I'm honestly not attempting to be an apologist for the Chinese government nor am I trying to justify their decisions and I hope you understand that. In fact if it wasn't for your digs about Big Brother and China being 'backwards' I wouldn't have a problem at all with your post. It's just my opinion, but if China is acting in a 'backwards and selfish' manner then Japan's foreign policy towards both China, the Republic of Korea and North Korea is equally 'backwards and selfish'.

I personally think there *is* a real problem about the ignorance of Japanese war crimes yet certainly no one I have encountered from China, or who has spent any kind of time in China, has tried to deny the horror of some of the actions that took place during the Cultural Revolution.

I'm honestly not trying to antagonise you, Chris. I don't think you're being a hundred percent fair in your assessment of this issue but I can't really blame you for it either as the Chinese government have been equally antagonistic with their own foreign policy on certain issues as of late.

So yeah, I understand why you're annoyed and living in Japan as you appear to from what's mentioned on your profile, these issues must seem all the more real to you, but I still can't feel that the issue of China putting Chinese television over foreign content in a primetime block is something the world needs to wage war against.

Well as the view of someone who "appears" to be living in Japan, I do agree with you.
Japans forign policy is a joke. Japan is just as pathetic as China is. But in Japan you can get hold of just about whatever information you want and don't have to be worried about getting your door knocked-on in the middle of the night.

I understand some of the things said about the s#*t Japan did all those years ago but being constantly told about it by of all countries, China, is just too hipocritical. Plus that they have said sorry 15 times and paid compensation that was accepted.

I can see that you really like China and the Chinese but, just because I live in Japan don't make the mistake of thinking that I'm a Japanophile or some crap like that because I'm not. Japan can be a very irritating place to live and the government is a joke, and a bad one at that. But at least people here have the right to say that and not be afraid of being locked-up or disappearing.

Chris said:
I can see that you really like China and the Chinese but, just because I live in Japan don't make the mistake of thinking that I'm a Japanophile or some crap like that because I'm not. Japan can be a very irritating place to live and the government is a joke, and a bad one at that. But at least people here have the right to say that and not be afraid of being locked-up or disappearing.

I really do apologise if I've offended you. I honestly wasn't trying to infer that you were obsessive simply because you live in Japan, I simply meant that I felt the issue of Chinese/Japanese relations was bound to effect you more than me because, well, you're living in the middle of it and I'm a very long way from where this is all happening. I hope you accept my apologies on that and I really do feel bad if I've angered you. I know that I personally despise the 'otaku' label so I really can not express how sorry I am if you felt I was trying to attach such a label to you.

I don't share your views that people can't speak without being locked up or vanishing but, this is obviously because I *am* biased and whilst I don't deny that it still can happen and has happened on frequent occasions, I feel (hope) that the situation has progressed maybe not completely, but a little, since the Cultural Revolution, the last days and death of Mao and some of the interesting 'business decisions' made by Deng Xiaoping. Perhaps I am, at times, too optimistic about the situation but then again I'm also the most willing person to point out the flaws in China and the mistakes its made. I just don't feel this is one of them.

I hope this clears things up between us. There's so much I want to ask you about Japan. Me and my girlfriend (she'll be my wife by then!) are visiting in November and I'm really nervous. ^^

Chris said:
No probs mate. I just get a bit sensitive on the whole China subject.

No worries, you have good reason to be sensitive. I think I could probably have done with being a little less blunt in my posts so I'll throw in an apology for that as well. ^^

Back