Overseas Cheaper Alternatives to AoA BD Releases

I've added MVM's release of Anohana, and marked it as red for half the bitrate of the AoA release and missing extras.
I've combined the listings for Manga's release and Madman's release of I Want to Eat Your Pancreas, as they're using the same discs (the status for good cheaper alternative is yet to be confirmed).
I also added Hanabee's release of Plastic Memories, which I've yet to get confirmation. I don't know if Anime Limited's upcoming release of Plastic Memories will use the Hanabee discs, create their own or use the AoA discs, so I'm not listing it yet.
Any idea on if I should replace any of these with the US versions? I’ve got them in UK form unopened. UK versions of Erased, Kill la Kill, sword art season one and all of three, full metal alchemist brotherhood, Rascal bunny girl senpai, FMAB, fate Zero, Anohana, promised never land season 1. These were all UK versions not yet opened. All recently bought. Not sure if any errors have been fixed

Any idea on if I should replace any of these with the US versions? I’ve got them in UK form unopened. UK versions of Erased, Kill la Kill, sword art season one and all of three, full metal alchemist brotherhood, Rascal bunny girl senpai, FMAB, fate Zero, Anohana, promised never land season 1. These were all UK versions not yet opened. All recently bought. Not sure if any errors have been fixed
Erased, Bunny girl senpai, Promised Neverland and SAO S3 UK BDs are quite good from what I've heard. Dunno about SAO S1.

KILL la KILL UK BD is not bad from what I've heard, but it has burned-in sign translations in the first 4 episodes and mono audio in episode 1.

Fate/Zero UK BD picture quality is a lot worse than the Aniplex US/JP releases, so definitely worth replacing IMO. I replaced mine this year with a used copy of the 2 original JP box sets.

Anohana and FMAB UK BD have incorrect gamma. Perhaps worth replacing, but I have not seen these discs myself.

Erased, Bunny girl senpai, Promised Neverland and SAO S3 UK BDs are quite good from what I've heard. Dunno about SAO S1.

KILL la KILL UK BD is not bad from what I've heard, but it has burned-in sign translations in the first 4 episodes and mono audio in episode 1.

Fate/Zero UK BD picture quality is a lot worse than the Aniplex US/JP releases, so definitely worth replacing IMO. I replaced mine this year with a used copy of the 2 original JP box sets.

Anohana and FMAB UK BD have incorrect gamma. Perhaps worth replacing, but I have not seen these discs myself.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! What are burned in subtitles? Kill la kill that is

Regarding Sword Art Online Season 1, it was authored directly by Manga (now Funimation UK), and unsurprisingly, there were subtitling issues, specifically showing more than one caption at a time, plus poorly placed chapter stops (the lack of chapter stops anyway), most of the Sword Art Offline shorts are missing and the shorts they did manage to include are 50% slower in runtime. resulting in distorted audio, lower pitched voices and juddering animation.

The translations of the Japanese signs are not in the subtitle track, but they're actually burned into the video instead.
Sorry. I’m half getting it. Isn’t that a good thing since I don’t understand Japanese? Is there a picture example of the difference? Thanks and apologies again for the questions

Regarding Sword Art Online Season 1, it was authored directly by Manga (now Funimation UK), and unsurprisingly, there were subtitling issues, specifically showing more than one caption at a time, plus poorly placed chapter stops (the lack of chapter stops anyway), most of the Sword Art Offline shorts are missing and the shorts they did manage to include are 50% slower in runtime. resulting in distorted audio, lower pitched voices and juddering animation.
Good to know. I guess I’ll go with rightstuf on this one as well.

Sorry. I’m half getting it. Isn’t that a good thing since I don’t understand Japanese? Is there a picture example of the difference? Thanks and apologies again for the questions
It means that if you were to disable any subtitles, the translation of the sign would still appear because it's baked into the video. It's I suppose not necessarily a bad thing if you don't speak Japanese, but I prefer a soft-subtitle approach.

It means that if you were to disable any subtitles, the translation of the sign would still appear because it's baked into the video. It's I suppose not necessarily a bad thing if you don't speak Japanese, but I prefer a soft-subtitle approach.
Ahh gotcha. Ok thanks :)

Anyone heard anything about the Persona 5 BDs?
Persona 5 BDs looked pretty good, I watched them on a 75in tv and didn’t see anything bad pop out at me, although I don’t own the Aniplex discs so I can’t do an direct comparison, anyone own the Your Lie In April BDs? how do they compare to aniplex discs ?

I have eight Aniplex series on Blu-ray that I've purchased the less expensive UK releases for:

Fate/stay night Unlimited Bladeworks
Kiznaiver
Magi Labyrinth/Kingdom of Magic
Granblue Fantasy (Standard Edition)
God Eater (Standard Edition)
Record of Grancrest Wars (Standard Edition)
Silver Spoon
Your Lie in April

But, I eventually ended up double-dipping with the Aniplex of America sets for all but 3 of those series - Kiznaiver, Granblue Fantasy, and God Eater. So unfortunately, those are the only 3 titles I've even remotely saved any money on! And, for some of the Aniplex of America titles in my collection, I have also purchased the Aniplex of Japan releases if they include English subtitles, so I'm certainly not saving myself any money there!

I actually just posted an updated photo spread of my complete Aniplex US/UK/JP collection over on blu-ray.com two days ago, so I'll copy those pics over here into this thread, to illustrate how much money I saved lost wasted blew on Aniplex releases over the last 10 years of anime collecting! 😅

Aniplex of America shelves with my UK and some JP releases on the bottom shelf (Doh! I forgot to include the UK Silver Spoon CE sets!):
aniplex4shelf.jpg

Aniplex of Japan releases:
aniplexjp1.jpg

AoA Durarara!! Limited Edition Lunchbox Set:
durararalunchbox.jpg

AoJ Kara no Kyoukai: Garden of Sinners Limited Edition Blu-ray Disc Box:
gosle1.jpg

Last edited:
I have eight Aniplex series on Blu-ray that I've purchased the less expensive UK releases for:

Kiznaiver
Silver Spoon
Your Lie in April

But, I eventually ended up double-dipping with the Aniplex of America sets for all but 3 of those series - Kiznaiver, Granblue Fantasy, and God Eater. So unfortunately, those are the only 3 titles I've even remotely saved any money on! And, for some of the Aniplex of America titles in my collection, I have also purchased the Aniplex of Japan releases if they include English subtitles, so I'm certainly not saving myself any money there!

I actually just posted an updated photo spread of my complete Aniplex US/UK/JP collection over on blu-ray.com two days ago, so I'll copy those pics over here into this thread, to illustrate how much money I saved lost wasted blew on Aniplex releases over the last 10 years of anime collecting! 😅

Aniplex of America shelves with my UK and some JP releases on the bottom shelf (I forgot to include the UK Silver Spoon CE sets!):
aniplex4shelf.jpg

aniplexjp1.jpg

durararalunchbox.jpg

gosle1.jpg
You are simply built different. Love your Aniplex collection as well as the shelf organisation 😍

Kiznaiver
Silver Spoon
Your Lie in April

Aniplex of America shelves with my UK and some JP releases on the bottom shelf (Doh! I forgot to include the UK Silver Spoon CE sets!):
aniplex4shelf.jpg

aniplexjp1.jpg

durararalunchbox.jpg

gosle1.jpg

That’s an awesome collection, used to have loads of Aniplex Blu-rays, sold quite a few to help pay the bills and bought the cheaper U.K. onesE6AEC306-3832-46F6-A4E7-665C4F9B5251.jpeg

Watched through the uk sets for
Plastic memories complete series LE
Charlotte complete series
Gun gale online complete series

No real problems with the video or audio quality on the first two, gun gale online has some really bad banding in episode 11, also the case incorrectly lists 4 discs when it only has 2 discs

Back