Central Park Media Files bankrupcy

chaos

The Boss
"The Crain's New York Business news source reports that the anime and manga distributor Central Park Media (CPM) filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy and has closed its doors as of Monday. According to Crain's, the company owes US$1.2 million to creditors. The company has not been active in releasing new titles in the past 12 months.

CPM and its Software Sculptors, U.S. Manga Corps, and Anime 18 labels were once the North American homes of such prominent works as <b>Grave of the Fireflies, Utena, Mobile Police Patlabor, Record of Lodoss War, Slayers, Night on the Galactic Railroad, Project A-Ko, Dominion Tank Police, Descendants of Darkness, Demon City Shinjuku, Urotsukidoji, and La Blue Girl</b>. It later branched out into the book publishing field by releasing Comic Party, Record of Lodoss War, Slayers, Embracing Love, Kizuna, and other titles under the CPM Manga and Be Beautiful Manga imprints. It sponsored the Big Apple Anime Fest earlier this decade."

From <a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-04-28/central-park-media-files-for-chapter-7-bankruptcy">ANN</a>

Sad to see them go. I'm glad I managed to get hold of all their Patlabor releases before they went out of print. While the dub was fairly poor, CPM are to be commended for trying to bring a series which is still much under-recognised in the West (bar the films) to the attention of modern anime viewers. Sadly I don't imagine we're likely to see anyone else pick up the licence either.

And another one bites the dust.
(Plenty of HP sauce, a little lettuce, lovely).

In all seriousness though, it is a shame to see another Anime company go under.
One only hopes the Anime & Manga industry survives this resession relatively intact.

They mostly released crap, but I think they released 'Now and Then, Here and There' in the US. That alone makes this news sad since NaTHaT is a beautiful series.

ayase said:
I'm glad I managed to get hold of all their Patlabor releases before they went out of print.
Same here. The writing had been on the wall for a long time, so I nabbed the second and third Patlabor TV sets last year, along with all three volumes of Now and Then, Here and There. The only other notable release of theirs I own is Record of Lodoss war, which is an absolute treasure.

Aion said:
They mostly released crap, but I think they released 'Now and Then, Here and There' in the US. That alone makes this news sad since NaTHaT is a beautiful series.

It will be awful if this isn't picked up by another studio. It's a show that should be in far more collections than it is at the moment.

Utena TV and Lodoss will also be sadly missed, though thankfully I bought all the CPM material that I ever wanted at the time and don't have to panic.

R

Another great title sadly no longer around because of CPM demise was super niche title: Armored Trooper Votoms. They didn't just give it standard release they released in great tin set which included an interesting booklet about the show.

5133MJC2YGL._SS500_.jpg

kupocake said:
chaos said:
Urotsukidoji, and La Blue Girl
chaos said:
"World Peace through shared popular culture"
Can I have a "lolwut"?

LOL. The second is the motto printed at their books.
I know what those titles are, but I haven't seem any of them myself to comment, but maybe that is just people getting too friendly, isn't it?
I could be awfully wrong on that though.

And for a reeeeeeeally good reason. ADV clearly haven't learned their lesson yet. It doesn't matter how good a series is - if it wasn't selling before, it isn't likely to sell now, and I doubt ADV have the cash for a big NaTHaT advertising campaign.

They might get some decent sales from Grave of the Fireflies, but I can't see the rest sparking much interest, with or without advertising. They really need something new, something that has a postive buzz amongst the fan community (Toradora, perhaps).

Back