C4's "100 greatest cartoons" this Sunday

But really, it's difficult to complain when anime is getting such good prime-time advertising. Well done C4 and well done to everyone who voted for anime!
That is very true, dispite my long and rambling speech (i really can get long winded when i get fired up....and all the time infact) about the ignorant british public, i am very happy there was even anime in the chart, and so high up. I am sure there are at least a few people out there who are maybe now considering the perchase of one or two of the anime titles featured in that chart

Huxley said:
The nominations were clearly based around sales figures more than anything else - how else you explain Princess Mononoke's inclusion over the likes of Laputa or My Neighbour Totoro? That's why Urotsukidoji is in there.
Umm... considering - to the best of my knowledge - that Totoro has never been released on DVD, perhaps even Video in this country, I fail to see how it's at all suprising why it wasn't included in the vote. The same more or less goes for Laputa. Mononoke is an excellent film anyway - the real issue is why wasn't more anime in the list. Simply, it's about a misconception about how popular anime actually is, especially when they poll the program on the Internet :)

The way I understand these shows work, is that they have to buy up all the rights to show stuff before the votes are gathered. The real travesty is the 100-75 bracket in these things - they have rights, or can cheaply buy up rights to show some total crap and put that in to stop the show going over budget. In fact, excepting some strangely placed Disney showings, most of the 100-50 bracket felt like complete filler. They could easily have made this program a 2 hour Top 50 show, especially as the whole "cartoon" idea felt total disjointed when the most popular options were simply not cartoons.

The way I understand these shows work, is that they have to buy up all the rights to show stuff before the votes are gathered. The real travesty is the 100-75 bracket in these things - they have rights, or can cheaply buy up rights to show some total crap and put that in to stop the show going over budget. In fact, excepting some strangely placed Disney showings, most of the 100-50 bracket felt like complete filler. They could easily have made this program a 2 hour Top 50 show, especially as the whole "cartoon" idea felt total disjointed when the most popular options were simply not cartoons.

I completly agree, most of that program was utter rubbish, i couldn't believe the amount of tosh that was there, that i had never even heard of, there was so much stuff there that was just centermental(i can't be bothered to check that spelling) rubbish they thought they could use to fill out the 100 bracket with.
Who even nominates the cartoons they use for the top 100, because if its not the general public theres not really any point to the chart

All together I enjoyed the program, there were some weird/crap cartoons on the list (Fritz the cat; never heard of it), I just watched it for the cult classics like Ren & Stimpy, Beavis & Butthead etc.
Awesome to see Family Guy get to number 5 tho, for my moneys its better than the simpsons, the new episodes of the simpsons are not funny at all.

kupoartist said:
Umm... considering - to the best of my knowledge - that Totoro has never been released on DVD, perhaps even Video in this country, I fail to see how it's at all suprising why it wasn't included in the vote.

I didn't say it was surprising, I said their nominations were based on popularity rather than critical acclaim. And Laputa has been shown on UK TV, which would put it on an equal footing with the likes of Huckleberry Hound :p

You know it's funny but even an anime top 100 would get people saying the same things.
I remember on another forum people complaining about the USA Newtype anime top 25 and so a top 25 for that forum was created and even though the titles were actually voted for by the members of said forum, there were still tons of complaints about the top 10!!

You have to remember that with the Channel 4 100 cartoons poll, there were only those 100 to vote for in the first place (although they did ask for people to recommend other titles - I recommended My Neighbour Totoro :D ).

I think the only anime title I didn't vote for was Akira, I voted for Toy Story instead :lol: (and yes I DID vote for Legend of the Overfiend/Urotsukidoji :twisted: ).

Spritied Away trashing Disney makes my day. The show was of course the bland trash that the rest of these shows were, but really, anime in the Top 10 is a good thing.

Back