Buying online and shipment to the UK?

AntAce said:
So I'm currently mulling over making my first Amazon JP order, and I was wondering if other than having to make a new account, the process is exactly the same as if I were ordering from Amazon US? There is still the option of pre-paying VAT, right?

I'm looking to order the Steins;Gate movie.

It's pretty much the same. You'll always pay the VAT as long as the delivery option is Amazon Global (so pretty much anything that says 'In Stock from Amazon' and I presume 'Fulfilled by Amazon' will also allow you to pay it off at checkout). You can check the 'Estimate Shipping' in the Basket section to see if the VAT is calculated for the order or not.

VwiD6VA.png

8574 JPY = ~44.25 GBP
1429 JPY = ~7.37 GBP

And you even did the currency conversion for me; very reasonable price compared to Yes Asia. Thanks a lot, I don't know how I managed to miss the 'Estimate shipping' button.

AntAce said:
And you even did the currency conversion for me; very reasonable price compared to Yes Asia. Thanks a lot, I don't know how I managed to miss the 'Estimate shipping' button.

And as a bonus Amazon JP is pretty quick with delivery. You'll get the set in about 3-4 days. :lol:

NormanicGrav said:
And as a bonus Amazon JP is pretty quick with delivery. You'll get the set in about 3-4 days. :lol:

Fantastic. If this first foray into Amazon JP goes well, I could see myself becoming a regular customer. Hopefully not too regular, though. Everyone's got to eat, haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started ordering from Amazon.jp about six months ago and there's no going back!

Japanese sets are so purdy and shiny :D

Delivery is insane. I ordered my latest batch on Sunday and it arrived today. Also I've never received an item in anything less than mint condition.

Welcome to a whole new world of collecting anime :thumb:

Amazon.jp packaging usually means a A4 size box to hold an A5 size item which is held tightly in place in the middle of the package. Wish other amazon locales did this.

I buy a fair bit from amazon jp marketplace sellers which use amazon.jp for fulfillment and don't think I've ever been given the option to pre-pay the VAT for them (I have for amazon.jp direct)... However I usually get a txt from DHL as soon as they get hold of the parcel in Japan which allows me to pay online and not cause a hold up...

Remember that order I placed with Otaku.co.uk?

It's almost a month since I placed it, and no sign of goods or even so much as a dispatch confirmation email.

Disappointing.

HdE said:
Remember that order I placed with Otaku.co.uk?

It's almost a month since I placed it, and no sign of goods or even so much as a dispatch confirmation email.

Disappointing.
Unless things have changed, if you haven't paid for the items (they should send a paypal payment request) then they don't have the items in stock and their FAQ section states that items that are listed as available to order can take up to 6 weeks to arrive so you'll have to wait a while longer but you can just contact them to see what is happening.

demonix said:
Unless things have changed, if you haven't paid for the items (they should send a paypal payment request) then they don't have the items in stock and their FAQ section states that items that are listed as available to order can take up to 6 weeks to arrive so you'll have to wait a while longer but you can just contact them to see what is happening.

Already done. I saw on Facebook that they recently received a shipment from their supplier, and querying the status of my order, I was told that it hadn't arrived yet.

I don't mind waiting a while to receive goods, but this is still, like I say, disappointing. Not soul-crushingly so, but enough to have me scuffing up the carpet with the sole of my shoe and mumbling like a petulant teen.

A little update on my order from Otaku.co.uk.

Order was placed on August 8th. It STILL hasn't appeared.

I am EXTREMELY pissed off at this point. I've made further enquiries. But this is way too long to be kept waiting for an order. I will NOT be using them again.

EDIT: Well - they responded pretty quickly and tell me my items have been dispatched today.

All the same, this wasn't the best first experience ordering from them.

Surely a bit of a coincidence the items were dispatched the day you complained?

I say that only because I spent a while working at a mail order company and if they ever got an order for something they didn't have stock for at the time and the customer complained about the delay, they'd always explain it away as 'it must have got lost in the post - we'll send a new one' so it seemed like their service was actually very prompt.

My suggestion would have been to raise a dispute with your card company or PayPal, I bet if you had, they'd have been falling over backwards to sort it out.

I'm personally a great believer in giving retailers a chance to sort a problem out of their on volition before invoking other methods. Misunderstandings and miscommunications CAN arise, after all.

But this is just bad service on several levels. I've already communicated with them about the order and been told 'sorry, it's not here yet'. Which is okay. but I was kept waiting longer than advertised. That's a red flag to me. And a red card to them.

HdE said:
I'm personally a great believer in giving retailers a chance to sort a problem out of their on volition before invoking other methods. Misunderstandings and miscommunications CAN arise, after all.

But this is just bad service on several levels. I've already communicated with them about the order and been told 'sorry, it's not here yet'. Which is okay. but I was kept waiting longer than advertised. That's a red flag to me. And a red card to them.

2 weeks to a month is give them another chance category, 2 and a half or so months later is major problem territory for me, unless they've given you a specific reason for the delay.

I tend to find for DVDs and BDs, indie label's own shops are great and desperate to please. I had an issue with an order from Arrow once, I emailed them at 10pm and got a reply 20 mins later that had clearly read the original email. (Although I don't think it was a DVD you ordered, and this is quite an arsey thing for me to post, so I do apologise. :()

Buzz201 said:
2 weeks to a month is give them another chance category, 2 and a half or so months later is major problem territory for me, unless they've given you a specific reason for the delay.
In this case, the delay was due to an error at the supplier that caused them to lose all our DVD orders from August and the first half of September. By the time it was sorted out, it had caused a four week delay.

So Rice Digital's entry into the anime sector is going badly. A relative ordered Bakemonogatari for me for Christmas, they got send the DVD instead of the blu-ray so are now chasing up a replacement. It's listed as out of stock on their website, so I wonder if they'll honour the order...

Doesn't sound great.

I have to admit, I'll almost always just stick to Amazon for orders - despite what other deals are out there - mainly just for peace of mind.

Only main exception is MVMs DOTW which I get through Rakuten.

MVM's own website is great, it arrives quickly (unlike seemingly everything else I get sent) and you don't even have to register, you can just do it through PayPal. Plus MVM gets all of your money.

I would have done with Bakemonogatari, but Rice Digital had a 10% off code that made them cheaper.

Back