Building up a anime colection

Sammy

Kiznaiver
Im triying to build up my anime colection all Ive got is a 2 DVDs and some movies Ive taped off the TV. So could you please give me some good movie titles or some OVA titles.

Depends on what you want. I could rattle off a dozen or so anime which are good in my opinion, but they may now be you cup of caffeinated beverage. Judging from you Profile you have a fairly wide range. Good and cheap at the moment are
  • Fruit baskets (about £7 from HMV online) which you say you like.
    Rahxephon is my fave, as it has a good mix of plot, characters and action (and a ending that makes sense unlike Eva). See one of my many recomendations on other threads.
    Armatige 3 movie is a good action film.
    Patlabour movies are good if you want something intellectually stimulating, especially the second one.
    El Hazard or Dual: Parallel trouble are good if you like harem anime, as they have fairly decent attempt at a plot (though if you want DVD's you'll have to import them.
    Mahoromatic is a wierd one as it is a pure fan service show which sneakily weaves in a bitter sweet romance between panty shots.

Here are some good movies that are easily available in the UK. All of the below can be bought for around £9.99 or less.

Perfect Blue
Psycological Thriller/Horror by Satoshi Kon. Contains nudity and violence but it isn't without a point and rather than detracting from the story it adds to it. One of my personal favourites.

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
Sci-Fi Action at it's best. Based on the series of the same name but no knowlege of the series is needed to enjoy this movie.

Millennium Actress
Romantic Drama with a mind bending twist. Told through the memorys of a woman being interviewed it's a very well constructed and moving movie. Another by Satoshi Kon, proof he is a versatile director.

Ghost in the Shell
Considered a classic by many and is included on many essential lists. Interesting story but can get to philosophical for it's own good while the characters are not developed strongly enough. Regardless, still a very good watch.

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
A great improvement from the first film. The philosophical elements remain but are backed up with stronger presented characters and a more down to earth detective story to hold it all together. I highly recommened this and it stands alone from the first film even though they are connected.

R.O.D: Read or Die
This is an OAV containing 3 episodes. Very entertaining action adventure. Fast moving, fast action, though the 3 episodes follow a formula. Don't expect anything too deep here, it's just some good fun with some likeable characters.

Tokyo Godfathers
Comedy/Drama. Another by Satoshi Kon further proving he can adapt his style. Compared to his other works this is a rather simple story about three homeless people looking after a baby. Very funny with some very likeable characters who you don't really want to leave by the end of the movie. Highly recommended.

Memories
Three Sci-Fi movies in one. In my opinion 2 of them are worth the money while the third is just tacked on at the end. The first, 'Stamina Rose', with a fantastic soundtrack, beautiful animation and a solid Sci-Fi story make this the best on the disk. The next, 'Stink Bomb', is a very funny comedy and is very watchable. The third however is a mixed bag. It has a interesting concept but falls short in other areas. The first two alone are worth the price of this DVD though.

Karas: The Prophecy
This is part one of a two parter and combines 3 episodes into a movie. High on action with some likeable(albeit rather flat) characters, some interesting story ideas and great atmosphere though it lacks depth and just seems like a showcase for the action. This however may change in part 2.

Ah My Goddess: The Movie
Lighthearted fantasy, romantic comedy/drama. A good fantasy tale with a good slice of action and romance. Very watchable and in my opinion the best of all the AMG series, possibly because Belldandy isn't presented as a total doorstop.

Oh My Goddess
A five part OAV spanned over two disks. This is rather compressed and seems rather rushed through but it is still somewhat watchable. The new extended full series takes more of a breezy walk around things rather than rushing from place to place like this seems to though.

Voices of a Distant Star
Created almost entirely by one person this is regarded highly in anime circles. I however thought this was a tretcherous bore, at only 20 or so minutes long I had to watch it in two sittings. Places Promised in Our Early Days is very similar in this respect, very slow moving ending with little care about what's happening to the characters.

The End Of Evengelion
An excellent and much deserved conclusion to the Neon Genesis Evangelion series but this must not be watched without having seen the series beforehand otherwise it would probably seem like a pointless mess of visuals and half a story. Very recommended after having seen the series.

Puni Puni Poemy
This OAV takes everything to it's limits in just two episodes. It's offensive and incredibly crude but it's also one of the funniest anime I have ever seen. Definitely not for everybody but if you're a fan of the randomist of random humour then this could hit the spot.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth
A compliation of the series. A pointless and pretentious mess. It tries to be clever in it's arrangement but just falls flat in so many ways and becomes confusing visual garbage that even somebody who has seen the series will find difficult to follow. The second part of the movie is also the first part of End of Eva. A complete waste of time, avoid at all costs and if you want to seeEva then just watch the series.

Blood: The Last Vampire
Visually stunning with a fantastic atmosphere and some good action sequences but has no depth, a pretty bog standard plot and is pretty short. Apparently this is expanded on in novels but I haven't been bothered to look out for them yet. Nothing really mind blowing but watchable at it's length.

The Ghibli movies (Nausicaa, Cat Returns, Porco Rosso, Pom Poko, Kiki's Delivery Service, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbour Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, Whsiper of the Heart, My Neighbours the Yamadas, Spirited Away, Only Yesterday) are usually dirt cheap and a good enough starting point, applicable to most tastes. Add The Castle of Cagliostro to that list too (it's an earlier film by Ghibli director Miyazaki, but seems to hit a chord with people not too fussed about Ghibli films). Aside from that, Dave has got most of the bases covered already. I'll mention Macross Plus as well, on the off chance that robots beating each other up and hideous Manga Entertainment packaging aren't detrimental to your enjoyment of a good action movie/OAV. Oh and Akira, since even I feel obliged to mention such an old cliche when others leave it out (Personally, I think it's mediocre, but not having an opinion on it is a bit like being part of a film-club and not having seen 2001: A Space Odyssey or something).

WTFDaveMustaine, not to nit pick but you said some good ones, then said some where bad. :?
Agree with you on most points, (especially with the EVA), but disagree with you on Voices of a Distant Star . Thought it was beautiful, but short.

I was just posting everything I could remember so based on my recs and others could know what to avoid and what to check out. Not just listing the ones I like.

Tenchi Muyo OVA's are pretty cheap and Tenchi is a great starting point. I would recommend Heat Guy J from play, mainly because its so cheap for a box set and its not bad eather.

Oh this could be a VERY long list

GENSHIKEN - as far as I am concerned everyone should own this as its all about being anime and otaku fans

BLEACH Swords, death gods, BANKAI what more could you want in an anime

TENCHI MUYO Everyone should have at least one harem anime series in there collection anf the Tenchi series are the best of the best. EVERY anime fan should own at least one of these.

TRIGUN
GUNGRAVE
SAMURAI CHAMPLOO
COWBOY BEBOP
RUROUNI KENSHIN
ONEGAI TEACHER
LOVE HINA
HAPPY LESSON

McIcy said:
Oh this could be a VERY long list

BLEACH Swords, death gods, BANKAI what more could you want in an anime

Don't use Death god, its cringing. I rather call it Shinigami or Soul Reaper...

And theres more to Bleach than Swords, Shinigamis and Bankai. Theres a huge and interesting set of Characters, Awesome plots (like the Aizen's betrayal) and Good theme songs (like Yui <3)...

And anyway, She already watched Bleach

butch-cassidy said:
You know what I find truly frightening. I have seen every single thing mentioned on this thread, and own about 90% of them Oo

Same here, I found myself reading through it saying stuff like, got it, need it, got it, want it, got it, got it, got it.

Makes me smile knowing that we all have the same sort of anime tastes

McIcy said:
butch-cassidy said:
You know what I find truly frightening. I have seen every single thing mentioned on this thread, and own about 90% of them Oo

Same here, I found myself reading through it saying stuff like, got it, need it, got it, want it, got it, got it, got it.

Makes me smile knowing that we all have the same sort of anime tastes

¬¬ It is very freaky that we have all the same taste in Anime, except for a few as I have to debate about Shounen Anime, (actually, i just debate about Bleach and thats it)...

But now this is getting too scary, I already have a Cloud Fangirl fwend who nearly have the same taste as me, and now this site is getting scary

Awwww don't get freaked Chrono it just shows that like minded fans have been gathered in this one place.................. Like a CULT

Back