Browser/OS reading Japanese

Xelis

Hunter
Can anyone point me in the direction to finding something that can help me so my browser (Firefox) read Japanese instead of just having lines of ?????, possibly something for XP too.

I think there's a free-of-charge language pack that you have to download to read the kana and kanji - it's associated with the OS (i.e. Windows or Mac OS) rather than your browser. Sorry I can't be of any more help - it reads fine on my machine!

Sometimes you get a dialogue box up that asks you if you want to install the language pack(s) needed to view the page.

EDIT: Does this help?

i remember on the old computer i used which ran on XP home, there was a language pack for east asian languages on the computer, i think in the control panel. Not to sure where and i can't check now unfortunatly since the computer has kicked the bucket. =/

Martin said:
I think there's a free-of-charge language pack that you have to download to read the kana and kanji - it's associated with the OS (i.e. Windows or Mac OS) rather than your browser. Sorry I can't be of any more help - it reads fine on my machine!

Sometimes you get a dialogue box up that asks you if you want to install the language pack(s) needed to view the page.

EDIT: Does this help?

Ill try it out.

Control Panel > Regional & Language Options

Check the box for install east asian fonts (Windows disc required)

Or you could use the more illegal method, downloading the Windows Installation ISO, and install them from there using a virtual disc reader.

PM me if you need details.

Hyaku said:
Control Panel > Regional & Language Options

Check the box for install east asian fonts (Windows disc required)

Or you could use the more illegal method, downloading the Windows Installation ISO, and install them from there using a virtual disc reader.

PM me if you need details.

Oh no, I want the main language to be English, but when something is in Kanji, for it not to appear (?????) but in the Kanji.

Have you tried Google Translations, there quite good.

I'm guessing there must be a translator plugin for us Firefox users, since there are so many other ******* useless plug ins.

Back