British dub for Millenium Actress & more news from Manga

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Manga Ent. UK has been busy lately and several small pieces of news have broken tonight.

The official Millennium Actress website is now online and includes three trailers for the film. With regards to it's world exclusive English dub, Animetion are reporting that UK voice talent has been used (as opposed to the expected American). Manga Ent. UK are also said to have expressed an interest in producing more British dubs in the future.

Finally, Play.com are listing a new release called "Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex Official Log 01 (£23.99 - DVD & Book); A special custom collector's box set for the hardcore Ghost In The Shell: Stand Complex fan! 'Official Log 01' is a DVD and deluxe 'amaray' size 150-page book. The DVD contains highlights of the main feature, illustrates the making of the CGI digital animation and also feature interviews and footage of the ADR process. The book contains 'Making Of' articles, comments on each episode, production materials, 'Tachikoma No Hibi' introduction and more." This is due out in the UK on the 24th of October.

It's great that Manga UK are really pushing the UK industry forward like this. I assume many people (myself included) never thought it likely that we would see a UK company producing their own English dubs with local British actors.

And the Stand Alone Complex box set sounding interesting. I assume it's essentially an extensive collection of making-of material and general SAC items.

i have to say that Millenium Actress looks absolutely amazing - more twisted brilliance from Kon by the looks of things. it will be very interesting to hear a British VA cast.

as for the GitS: SAC box set, i'm very tempted since i don't have any SAC DVDs yet. that's two big October purchases then...ouch.

Re: British dub for Millenium Actress & more news from M

Paul said:
With regards to it's world exclusive English dub, Animetion are reporting that UK voice talent has been used (as opposed to the expected American). Manga Ent. UK are also said to have expressed an interest in producing more British dubs in the future.
This can only be a Good Thing. While it probably won't iqnite a new wave of anime fans, it will be worthy of at least some mainstream media coverage. It also shows Manga UK are still brave enough to take risks; I've been pretty unimpressed by their selection of the past year or so (GitS:SAC notwithstanding).

Fantastic news, Manga Ent. have been (for the most part at least) the foremost anime publisher in the UK so it's good to see them spearheading initiatives like this.

Many of us have bemoaned the lack of extras, Limited and Special editions in regards to UK releases so this comes as a very pleasant surprise, least of all from Manga. Ent a company who looked to be on the verge of stagnation and collapse this time last year.

I'll certainly be raiding the piggy bank and investing in these two titles. ;)

You have to remember that most of Manga UK's catalog has uk dubs, only the stuff licenced and released within the past 5 years or so have used american va's. So dubbing in the UK for Manga Ent. isnt a new thing.
But now that they are deciding to use UK va's again, this can only mean good things for the UK anime industry, as it may be an incentive for other companies to use UK va's as well.

Sad to say, I don't really find this news exciting at all. English accents never sound good to me, even when done by actual English people (as opposed to Americans attempting to sound English). I don't think this sounds wonderful at all or a particularly good idea. While I doubt it will mean other UK publishers will produce UK dubs I still think to me this will sound bad, really bad. I actually like American accents for my dubs.

Guyver said:
You have to remember that most of Manga UK's catalog has uk dubs, only the stuff licenced and released within the past 5 years or so have used american va's. So dubbing in the UK for Manga Ent. isnt a new thing.
But now that they are deciding to use UK va's again, this can only mean good things for the UK anime industry, as it may be an incentive for other companies to use UK va's as well.

And hopefully I'll be part of it

that's a good point actually. a friend of mine wants towork as a VA and after some searching we discovered this industry isn't exactly booming in the UK to say the least. maybe Millennium Actress will start a trend of opening up this aspect of the UK industry? it's certainly possible.

Mangaminx said:
Sad to say, I don't really find this news exciting at all. English accents never sound good to me, even when done by actual English people (as opposed to Americans attempting to sound English). I don't think this sounds wonderful at all or a particularly good idea. While I doubt it will mean other UK publishers will produce UK dubs I still think to me this will sound bad, really bad. I actually like American accents for my dubs.

How is this a bad idea, Manga Ent used to produce all there dubs in the UK. I really like the dub for Detonator Orgun and that was produced here :D

necromancer_1983 said:
Mangaminx said:

How is this a bad idea, Manga Ent used to produce all there dubs in the UK. I really like the dub for Detonator Orgun and that was produced here :D

I guess I hear enough English voices everyday that I don't want them in my main entertainment medium. Theres always the sub of course, but I like my American accents in dubs ;).

Mangaminx said:
I guess I hear enough English voices everyday that I don't want them in my main entertainment medium. Theres always the sub of course, but I like my American accents in dubs ;).
I do know what you mean, i like my dubs American and often English accent in anime usually annoy the heck out of me, though i am still quite interested as to what this will sound like and i like the idea of buying it for the chance to actually hear something like this that i didn't ever really expect

I on the other hand, have a well documented dislike of poor American VA work, which I see everywhere in the anime industry. Can't say that the British VAs will do massively better (lets face it, our industry must be even more saturated with odd-job amateurs than the american one), but at least it's something... and frankly, the english dub is usually just a nice side-order to the main event.

Be cool if this improved the possibilities of a UK television release.

this is great as it something the uk gets that no one else dose which will hopefully get other people in euro and maybe even the US to inport them.

kupoartist said:
I on the other hand, have a well documented dislike of poor American VA work, which I see everywhere in the anime industry..
Everywhere?

Whatever....

I hope manga will still be using ANimaze and the SAC cast for GITS 2....

Thats the plan Madman had from the start so i cant see it changing now that Manga are involved given that they are just helping with the financing and dont have have much, or possibly any, creative control.

As for MA i cant say i consider them using a UK cast over a US one is a good thing. In general older dubs are severly lacking comparied to modern ones and the US dubbing industry has improved due to experience both with the dubbing itself and with the expericence of bad feedback on bad dubs but the UK dubbing industry doesnt have this experience.

The VAs may have been based in the UK, but you'll find when you watch it that all the accents are American.

Back