Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo starting on Jetix UK, 14th April

The series mocks existing manga and anime conventions, making fun of more than a few fairly specifically: Doraemon, Sailor Moon (and the whole magical girl genre in general), Pokémon, Naruto, Gundam, Dragon Ball, Serial Experiments Lain, Fist of the North Star and many others are used as humor fodder. The result is usually nothing short of sheer nonsense. The series also operates as a mockery of stereotypes in Japanese literature (for instance, the ideal of noble self-sacrifice) and Western popular culture (such as action films).

Sounds very otaku-friendly. I'm surprised Jetix have gone for something like this. I can't imagine many 7 year olds getting the references to Serial Experiments Lain.

Great to see more anime on UK TV anyway. Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo has been under the radar for many, but it seems to have carved itself a good reputation in the US.

Something more amazing would be if Jetix actually aired Serial Experiments: Lain. :p

Sounds a bit like Excel Saga. I may have to check it out.

My friend told me about the manga a couple of years ago...the manga shops around here never got it in and I just never got around to getting it online (mainly because Up1 has the dreaded "7 to 28 days" by it), so I'm still none the wiser. He seemed to think I'd enjoy it though.

Seems like a fun series...I'll look forward to it!

X_nick_X said:
How do you know it's going to be editted badly unless it's done by 4kids?

Please say 4kids didn't touch it?!? :shock:
Well it's Jetix and considering that they edited Naruto into something that was confusing and unwatchable at points this will probably get edited as well.

To be fair, I doubt Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo is a show about kids trying to kill each other. As such, I don't think we can assume there will be many edits at all, at least not as bad as Naruto... That they are showing it at 11:30am is a good sign that Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo is just straight up slapstick comedy and they have confidence that it won't scare the pre-school crowd (unlike Naruto).

They do also edit out a lot of other stuff as well. Examples being smoking, suggestive talk, hand gestures and so on but yeah we don't really know how much will be edited but there is a more than a 90% that there will be.

11:30 is a stupid time slot for 2 reasons

1. People at Work
2. People at school

But its repeated again at 7 : 30 pm, so its all great in the end.

As far as Bobobo goes 4Kids had nothing to do with it (so far as I am aware at least). The DVD release is being handled by FUNimation breakaway company Illumitoons. According to reviews, while they are releasing it uncut with Japanese and English audio, their production quality leaves something to be desired but at least they've made the effort to produce hybrid DVDs.

Ive seen some of the english episodes of Bobobo, and i have to say that i didnt like them at all. Compared the the Japanese version, there were too many cuts/edits and story line, of what little there was anyway, was almost non existant.
The Japanese version i found really funny too, some parts had me literally rolling on the floor with laughter, but i cant say the same for the english version. It just simply wasnt funny imo.

Gawyn said:
As far as Bobobo goes 4Kids had nothing to do with it (so far as I am aware at least). The DVD release is being handled by FUNimation breakaway company Illumitoons. According to reviews, while they are releasing it uncut with Japanese and English audio, their production quality leaves something to be desired but at least they've made the effort to produce hybrid DVDs.
Hybrid DVD's is one thing, TV broadcast is a completely different kettle of fish. I agree that 1130 is a total waste of time slot. as only preschoolers, or kids bonking off would be watching. But 1930 will prove to be the favourite time. I'll give it a go too, but you're right if the uninitiated haven't seen any of those titles alluded to, they won't have a clue what it's on about. Jetix doing SEL without edits? I can't ever see it happening soon. The boffins at Disney, UK, owners of Jetix, probably have never heard of Serial Experiment Lain anyway. :wink:

Back