Blu-ray Anime

Jonboy87

Brigade Leader
Hey guys.

I am planning on getting myself a HDTV and blu ray player after years and years of using a 21'' SDTV.

Anyways, I've seen a few anime's like afro samurai and paprika etc on blu ray, but how many more blu ray anime's are on the way for the UK?

I've seen some anime series been made on blu but i think its Japan only at the moment, shows like 'Air' etc.

I'd love to watch all my anime in HD.

Does anyone know anymore anime series that are being re-released on blu-ray or any new ones being released on blu-ray?

Early days yet I think. GITS 2.0 and Innocence should be coming in August from Manga.

This is an excellent site for keeping track of both dosestic and foreign releases. I don't know if any guns are being jumped but reading through that list now I notice a few new additions from Manga towards the end of the year: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Origin and Blood: The Lat Vampire.

There are a few. Due out soon are,

-Ghost in the Shell 2.0 Redux due early August
-Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence due early August
-Final Fantasy VII: Advent Childrendue end of July
-Shigurui: Death Frenzy Complete Series due early August
-Origin: Spirits of the Past due early August

Already out,

Freedom Box Set (Ltd Edition)
Paprika
Tekkonkinkreet
Vexille
Sky Blue
Resident Evil Degeneration
The Animatrix
Gunbuster vs Diebuster Movie Box Set (also available individually)
Appleseed - Ex Machina

There are also some releases that are region free such as Akira. Some sites such as Axel Music list whether a release is region free (Bandai/Honneamise are usually region free but Funimation are usually region A only).

I know this post deviates somewhat from the thread's original intention, but I wanted to talk about a specific Blu-ray anime. Given that it was long dead, perhaps we could use it to discuss anime on this format more generally.

So a couple of days ago I had a look at the Wings of Honneamise Blu-ray. Given that Shigurui failed to impress, I had begun to wonder whether I'd ever see the significant improvement I'd hoped for.

But here we have a film that's over 20 years old, and even on my modest 720p TV, it looks absolutely stunning. The detail and clarity are incredible. For comparison purposes I checked the included DVD, and while that's a perfectly good transfer, the difference is night and day. Finally, Blu-ray delivers! Can't wait to watch the whole film.

mangaman74 said:
There are a few. Due out soon are,

-Ghost in the Shell 2.0 Redux due early August
-Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence due early August
-Final Fantasy VII: Advent Childrendue end of July
-Shigurui: Death Frenzy Complete Series due early August
-Origin: Spirits of the Past due early August

Farbeit from me, but I am pretty sure that GitS, FF7 and Origin are out already. Especially as I saw 3 of them in HMV yesterday and I rented Origin over the summer.

Er... it's a resurrected thread we're dealing with here megagold. They weren't released when mangaman posted back in June. ;)

Glad you're enjoying HD anime Fabio. Hand-drawn is always going to be best.

Sorry for the bump, but does anyone here actually own the Freedom Boxset? I'm putting serious thought into buying it.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shamballa is region AB for those who want another anime title to buy/import.

zeldafreak said:
Sorry for the bump, but does anyone here actually own the Freedom Boxset? I'm putting serious thought into buying it.

I do, its fantastic, I didn't think I'd like the CG Cell shaded thing but it works really well and its a fantastic anime, really glad I bought it. :D

Akira arrived today, a day earlier than I expected. I watched the first 45 minutes and, while it looked great, it didn't quite blow me away as much as Honneamise (a film produced in the same year). Still, it's a definite improvement over DVD and the best the film has ever looked.

As far as I can tell it's the same disc as the JP/US version released a couple of years back.

id like a Bul-ray dvd player multiplayer but
1 Bul-rays players/Bul-ray dvd are to expensive
2 do Bul-ray dvd players have multiplayer?
3 do Bul-rays dvds work on a regular dvd players?

fabricatedlunatic said:
Akira arrived today, a day earlier than I expected. I watched the first 45 minutes and, while it looked great, it didn't quite blow me away as much as Honneamise (a film produced in the same year)

For me, when I watched Akira on BD it was like watching it again for the first time, the stadium sequence is truly stunning. I know what you mean about Royal Space Force, it does just knock you out when you first see it on BD, but like Royal Space Force and Laputa for that matter, when you see Akira on BD you realise just how much effort and detail went into the animation, there are other 80's films like Odin and DYRL that I would just love to see on BD.

Modern stuff like the recent VOTOMS OVA's look amazing on BD and watching TV stuff like Gundam 00 and Star Driver in 720p likes really nice as well.

I know a lot of people are sceptical still about HD but I'm definitely converted.

animefreak17 said:
1 they cost less than DVD did when it came out. And like when DVD came out you'll want to import everything from the USA as it's cheaper and much more gets relased there.

2 what? They're not video games, what the hell do you mean.

3 no, they need a differnt colour of laser (blue not red) hence the name.

All Bluray Disk players can play DVDs.
There is no such thing as a bluray dvd, they are called Bluray Disks

animefreak17 said:
Erm.. what kind of TV do you have?

I think he means multi-region.

If so, the answer is "not really". Some machines can be modified to allow multi-region playback, but it's fairly expensive. As far as I know there are no remote hacks like there are for DVD players.

Back