Votes: 0 0.0%
  • X2

• Taktics

• Total voters
kupoartist said:
The storyline is on par with Metal Gear Solid 2 levels of silliness,
Hey, hey, hey it least in isn't an interactive movie like MGS:2! Though the main characters back story was so terrible, wetdream of the religious being of the world. ._.

Liquid Skin said:
7 comes in around 2nd or 3rd. It seems that FF7 and Evangelion share the "overrated but deserving it" title amongst a lot of people. Say what you want about it - it was popular and introduced a hellofalot of people to rpgs.

I don't think I agree - Everything FFVII is acredited with in general (popularising RPGs in the West, revolutionising RPGs, vastly improving storytelling in games, making games more cinematic etc.) it did do, very effectively. And overall, it IS a very, very good game. Anyone who says FFVII isn't a good game is, quite frankly, talking nonsense. I can understand how the game isn't to some people's tastes, but saying it's a bad game is just ridiculous.

CitizenGeek said:
Liquid Skin said:
7 comes in around 2nd or 3rd. It seems that FF7 and Evangelion share the "overrated but deserving it" title amongst a lot of people. Say what you want about it - it was popular and introduced a hellofalot of people to rpgs.

I don't think I agree - Everything FFVII is acredited with in general (popularising RPGs in the West, revolutionising RPGs, vastly improving storytelling in games, making games more cinematic etc.) it did do, very effectively. And overall, it IS a very, very good game. Anyone who says FFVII isn't a good game is, quite frankly, talking nonsense. I can understand how the game isn't to some people's tastes, but saying it's a bad game is just ridiculous.

Hey hey i said "amongst a lot of people" did i say that was my opinion? Personally i thought it was GREAT but hey, if i were to say that i'd be accused of being a raving fanboi. Every opinion is invalid on the internet. :cry:

Oh and neither did i say "bad" please read rather than skim.

For a start, you should have kept the poll to the main titles. Where are FFI and FFII? FFX-2 certainly isn't considered the best game in the series by many people.

I would choose between FFVI and FFVII, FFIX following closely. I love FFVII, but I HATE the fanbase. I liked it years before you, it's mine, not yours =( It's a shame, as a result of the "new" FFVII fanbase, it's often seen as a bit of a n00by game to like. Play it with a blank mind and you'll love it.

I didn't really like FFXII, but not for the battle system. I found the characters to be one-dimensional. I can't recall one moment in the game when any main character changed dramatically. Vaan is a perfect example. He was a useless main character, he just existed. He had nothing to resolve, no real motive for doing what he did through the game (it was hinted at but never really explored). and it felt the same way for most of the characters, a medium for which the story to take place. And the story was overly complex and political (I'm not saying such plots are bad, just not engaging for me). And the voice acting was sub-par. As such, I had little motive to play the game and barely struggled through to the end of it after seventy hours.

Espy said:
I would choose between FFVI and FFVII, FFIX following closely. I love FFVII, but I HATE the fanbase. I liked it years before you, it's mine, not yours =( It's a shame, as a result of the "new" FFVII fanbase, it's often seen as a bit of a n00by game to like. Play it with a blank mind and you'll love it.

I didn't really like FFXII, but not for the battle system. I found the characters to be one-dimensional. I can't recall one moment in the game when any main character changed dramatically. Vaan is a perfect example. He was a useless main character, he just existed. He had nothing to resolve, no real motive for doing what he did through the game (it was hinted at but never really explored). and it felt the same way for most of the characters, a medium for which the story to take place. And the story was overly complex and political (I'm not saying such plots are bad, just not engaging for me). And the voice acting was sub-par. As such, I had little motive to play the game and barely struggled through to the end of it after seventy hours.

Ditto and Ditto, FF7 as i said is very much like NGE, its reputation precedes it and its fanbases are very defensive. Like you said, watch/play both with a open mind and you enjoy them, watch them with caps locked opinions in your head or constantly comparing it to X and yes, of course you wont enjoy it.

The characters really were laughable in XII, the only half-good one was Balthier and only because he was the diet coke of Han Solo.
Personally i'd say that the story was one of the weakest of the series, overly complicated and essentially Star Wars (Evil empire, weak rebels, a Princess searching for peace, sky/space pirates, bounty hunters, gigantic battle at the end, hell it even had Chewbacca in the form of Fran)
I yearn for a return to text based dialogue, good voice acting, especially in RPGs are hard to come by - i mean come on, would the dev team be willing to pay hundreds, maybe even thousands of pounds for dialogue from a big name actor? Its do-able in action games since theres generally very little dialogue but just imagine hiring Christopher Lee to do something like Oblivion or FF?

FF7 and FF8 always felt like i was reading a book, and to me that is a good feeling. You come up with your own voices for the characters and give them your own slant. Bad voice-overs can ruin games just as well as it can anime, *shudders at the thought of Tidus*

Phew sorry for the overly long post.

Final Fantasy VII for me =D

I love the story and the characters there.

Defeating the weapons (No, I am not talking about Ultima), Ruby and Emerald is a challenge.

Matt-kun said:
Final Fantasy VII for me =D

I love the story and the characters there.

Defeating the weapons (No, I am not talking about Ultima), Ruby and Emerald is a challenge.

Plus with Materia like Knights of the Round has never been beaten in my opinion.

Lupus Inu said:
CitizenGeek said:
Anyone who says FFVII isn't a good game is, quite frankly, talking nonsense.
VI is better. Here is why.

Heh, I've seen that before, actually!

I'm playing through FFVI at the moment and I'm really enjoying it. But, it really isn't as good as most people say. I mean, it definately is not better than the PlayStation FFs, IMO. Not by a long shot, tbh.

CitizenGeek said:
Lupus Inu said:
CitizenGeek said:
Anyone who says FFVII isn't a good game is, quite frankly, talking nonsense.
VI is better. Here is why.

Heh, I've seen that before, actually!

I'm playing through FFVI at the moment and I'm really enjoying it. But, it really isn't as good as most people say. I mean, it definately is not better than the PlayStation FFs, IMO. Not by a long shot, tbh.

FF6 is way better than most of the PS1 Final Fantasy and PS2s. I rather prefer FF7 and FF10 to it.

But right now, I'm playing FF10 after like 4 years of non playing, and finally got the Celestial Mirror. The Celestial Weapons suck, though cause of No AP. But I need some sigils and crest to put some use of the weapons to full.

Liquid Skin said:
I yearn for a return to text based dialogue, good voice acting, especially in RPGs are hard to come by - i mean come on, would the dev team be willing to pay hundreds, maybe even thousands of pounds for dialogue from a big name actor? Its do-able in action games since theres generally very little dialogue but just imagine hiring Christopher Lee to do something like Oblivion or FF?

For a start, Christopher Lee did Kingdom Hearts II, so you chose a bad example =P Oblivion is a bad example too as it had Partick Stewart. Aside from that, I agree with you. Square Enix America don't need to make the game, just localise it, which would cost much less. When you consider the number of copies that sell, they could have done a lot better. Heck, I'd even be happier with the anime crew (you know who I mean)!

Espy said:
Liquid Skin said:

For a start, Christopher Lee did Kingdom Hearts II, so you chose a bad example =P Oblivion is a bad example too as it had Partick Stewart. Aside from that, I agree with you. Square Enix America don't need to make the game, just localise it, which would cost much less. When you consider the number of copies that sell, they could have done a lot better. Heck, I'd even be happier with the anime crew (you know who I mean)!

Hehe whoops, my bad, well you at least see my point through the pile of rubbish surrounding it anyway.

I've just come up with something new as well, just imagine the amount of space saved by not having dialogue? Heavenly Sword has apparently got 10gb of sound data alone. 10gb!!! I'd much rather have a longer/prettier game than a short, half-decent looking one with voices.

Plus i've got a "thing" for the blue boxes in FF7, bring them back!

Yeah, the blue boxes were cool. At least you could use them in FFVIII and, I think, IX too.
Another thing that annoyed me about FFXII's voicing is that the subtitles and voices often didn't match up. It made for messy reading.

Lupus Inu said:
kupoartist said:
The storyline is on par with Metal Gear Solid 2 levels of silliness,
Hey, hey, hey it least in isn't an interactive movie like MGS:2!
I've never thought of the FF series as much further along from interactive movies to be honest. I certainly don't play them for their 'gameplay'.

Back