Barbican Japanimation pays homage to Gonzo

chaos

The Boss
The now traditional <a href="https://www.barbican.org.uk/film/series.asp?id=379">Anime Screenings at Barbican - Barbican's Japanimation</a> - with introductions by anime expert Helen McCarthy on the day's presentation - will be holding a Gonzo "festival" next week.
They will also hold a <a href="https://www.barbican.org.uk/film/event-detail.asp?ID=8898">Japanimation Surprise Sneak Peek! (18+) </a>, which is a free event.

Gonzo on Video I - Blue Submarine No.6 (12A*)
18:00 / One of the best dramas of its generation supported by visuals executed with razor-sharp perfection.
7 Apr 09 / 18:00 / Cinema 3

Gonzo on Video II: Samurai 7 + Witchblade (15*)
21:00 / An entertaining epic + a stylish adaptation of comic Witchblade.
7 Apr 09 / 21:00 / Cinema 3

Gonzo on TV: Hellsing + Gankutsuou (15*)
18:15 / Hellsing is an absolute joy, one of the best additions to the overworked vampire genre in years, and one of the most visually arresting TV series ever.
8 Apr 09 / 18:15 / Cinema 3

Gonzo Goes Theatrical - Origin: Spirits of The Past (12A*)
20:40 / Gonzo's first full-length theatrical feature focused on the need for balance between mankind, technology and nature.
8 Apr 09 / 20:40 / Cinema 3

Gonzo Goes Streaming: Shangri-La + Blassreiter + Linebarrels of Iron + Romeo X Juliet (15*)
18:15 / Gonzo's 'Legal alternative to illegal file-sharing and downloading'.
9 Apr 09 / 18:15 / Cinema 3

Japanimation Surprise Sneak Peek! (18+)
20:30 / Complementary Japanimation screening.
9 Apr 09 / 20:30 / Cinema 3

... Why? I mean Bones yes, Ginax yes, IG yes, even maybe Sunrise, but Gonzo? They have produced maybe five decent series, and countless poor to mediocre ones not to mention watching the odd episde of a series would be as pointless as a broken pencil.
Despue that may go to the Gonzo on TV: Hellsing + Gankutsuou and or Japanimation Surprise Sneak Peek! (18+)

What about last exile? I thought that was probably their best series, it had better consistency than hellsing, which though good went off the plot towards the end...
Didnt they do full metal panic too? Another good series?

Don't get me wrong (or do get me wrong, don't care), Gonzo have done some good stuff, Last Exile, Red Garden, Kiddy Grade, Witchbalde, Gad Guard, (everybody raves about Gankutsuou, but it hasn't arrived yet), eating a rubber tire to the music of The Flight of the Bumblebee... sorry wrong Gonzo. But the vast amount of stuff they do is puerile dross that tries to apeal to the lowest common denominator and still fails. Strike witches anyone?

I'll be going for blue submarine and Japanimation Surprise Sneak Peek!

I'm a resident Gonzo fan, I know that more often than not, their shows lack some substance, but still they do great shows: FMP!, last exile, gankutsuo, chrono crusade, Hellsing, Welcome to the NHK (which I'm yet to see)... I agree they have a much larger output, but still seems fairly good to me.

Anyway, technically their animes are always great. I believe that sometimes their directors focus so much in animation, cgi and the likes that they forget about minor things like plots.

Why am I not surprised it's in London? :?

We get nothing out this way except for the Bristol Comicon that rediculously hosts only a week before the MCM. Which makes it all but pointless to attend.

kupocake said:
"pays respects"? Is Gonzo dead?

Well they just got taken off the Tokyo Stock Exchange, they've given up their gaming division, they've cut their anime output by like 70% and their co-founder/producer of most of their anime has just left to start his own business.

So, as good as dead.

But they're not really.

melonpan said:
kupocake said:
"pays respects"? Is Gonzo dead?

Well they just got taken off the Tokyo Stock Exchange, they've given up their gaming division, they've cut their anime output by like 70% and their co-founder/producer of most of their anime has just left to start his own business.

So, as good as dead.

But they're not really.
I did mean that. It was just me using english in a weird way again.... =S

Anyone else think that Mayumi Kino looked just like Lavie from Last Exile?

Apart from the pretty awful NTSC conversion (pan-stutter-pan-stutter) and the fect they had to change DVDs between each ep, I really liked Blue 6.

And I got to, albeit very briefly, talk to Helen McCarthy :)

Aha, then I was right. I've seen you (I was unsure, as I walked past you to jump in the chat)

I was the guy who got there 20 minutes late. Everytime I go to these Barbican screenings at 6pm, I end up arriving late. Amazing!

I've enjoyed Blue sub 6, it's your typical Gonzo show. I thought the story had a few gaps, that annoyed me a little, but all things considered, a good OVA.

I can understand you being late, its a heck of a walk to screen 3. Its the first time I've been inside the Barbican, strange place on the outside, even stranger on the inside.

I hope they go back to the master and release blue sub in HD. I'll buy it for sure if they do that. But no way I'd buy the R1 version.

They have this japanimation screenings every month and every so often they run a special season like this Gonzo one. Last year they ran a Tezuka season.

Did you managed to go to the free screening?

It was Afro Samurai ressurection. Stylish to the extreme. I really enjoyed that =)

Back