Bakuman Manga Ends Next Week

Genkina Hito

映画男!!!
Bakuman is coming to an end in this year’s combined 21st/22nd issue of Weekly Shōnen Jump magazine which goes on sale next Monday.

Synopsis
<em>
Moritaka Mashiro is a talented artist, Akito Takagi is an aspiring writer and the two aspire to become the greatest manga artists in Japan. They are joined in their dreams of creativity by Azuki Miho, an aspiring voice actress who Mashiro develops a crush on.</em>

Bakuman comes from Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata, the creators of Death Note. Bakuman was first published in Weekly Shōnen Jump back in August, 2008. Since then it has been collected in 17 compiled volumes of manga with the 18th, getting a release on the 2nd of May then issues 19 and 20 getting released in June and July. It has been the basis of three television series produced by J.C. Staff.

<a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2012-04-18/bakuman-manga-to-end-on-monday-april-23">Source</a>

Good to hear, I'm guessing that means the anime will end up being about 4 seasons, which I think is about reasonable, I'd hate for it to outstay its welcome.

When Bakuman first came out all those years ago--when that first promotional chapter showed up online--I reckoned it was going to be one of those series which was imbued with the theme of dreams that would come across, on the surface, as something upbeat, but would be underlined with some sort of malaise. I thought there was the potential there for its main leads to suffer the same fate as Mashiro's uncle--and I actually genuinely believed for a long time that the ending would be every bit as bittersweet as Hikaru no Go's, or as harrowing as Death Note's.

As time went on, though, and the art-style started becoming more exaggerated, I somewhat reckoned it'd come to this. It's funny, mind, as I still feel that Bakuman has a lot left in it.

Looking forward to what the Ohba and Obata pair come up with next, nonetheless, if the two even stay together at all! Bakuman's been one of those few Shounen Jump manga that I've actively looked forward to, each week. With it gone, and HUNTER on hiatus, there isn't really anything left there in the magazine that I'm a great deal interested in! The author's next work--if Shounen Jump hosts it--can't come soon enough!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love it if this means the third season continues all the way to the end with no breaks!

Regarding the manga: I think it's come to a natural end, what with all the plot about having a good conclusion versus dragging it out. Recent events have had be fist pumping in celebration and I hope that follows through to the end!

I hope it has a better ending than Negima did (what a letdown I thought!), I love these characters and am looking forward to seeing what Ohba and Obata do next! Go Ashirogi Muto!

Ath said:
I'd love it if this means the third season continues all the way to the end with no breaks!

Regarding the manga: I think it's come to a natural end, what with all the plot about having a good conclusion versus dragging it out. Recent events have had be fist pumping in celebration and I hope that follows through to the end!

I hope it has a better ending than Negima did (what a letdown I thought!), I love these characters and am looking forward to seeing what Ohba and Obata do next! Go Ashirogi Muto!

Thanks for not being spoilery in the spoilers, knowing some of us (like me) who are weak and easily corrupted :p I'm glad that is going on, because the main thingabout BK that got me really into it was its perserverance and determination even in the face of defeat. It never makes their job look easy either, which is good I think, more real.

So how many volumes is the manga going to end up at? And how far through are they at the end of the second run of the anime?

ilmaestro said:
So how many volumes is the manga going to end up at? And how far through are they at the end of the second run of the anime?

Well the anime ended at around chapter 86 and wikipedia lists 175 chapters so far, so maybe the show might stretch into 5 series at the rate they're going.

Back