Ask our reporter in Japan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's getting a bit more attention than before, but I doubt the Japanese drivers will be any good, so the coverage will likely ebb down. Most F1 isn't even on TV live here!?! I guess the TV companies don't like to mess with their programming too much.

Akihabara
To be honest, I don't like it myself, full of too many weirdos. I guess if you're into anime/manga etc... it's the place to go. But, I wouldn't recomend it for anything else. You hear stuff about electrical goods being cheap there, yeah, they are but, you can get better stuff and cheaper stuff in places like Yodobashi Camera/Bic Camera/Sakuraya/etc...
If you want to go to the "home" of anime/manga it's great though :)

Kind of an odd question but is David Bowie big in Japan? It seems like there are always Japanese only Bowie cd's being released of live shows and B-sides over there. Just wondering. :p

Chris said:
By the way Capuchin, I love the Ichigio Mashimaro avatar! I'm a Matsuri-chan fan myself though :lol: Has to be one of the best anime/manga of late.

Welcome back Chris.
It was the only Mashimaro image I could find at the right size :?

hurray a non sports Q from Ryo

i'm thinking of going to Japan in a year or 2 for a holiday, but i'm wondering how easy it is to get around with little knowledge of Japanese.

Do tv shows come with english subs, and are signs marked in english and japanese?

i'm planning on going to japan at the end of november for 2 weeks and was wondering whether it was worth trying to learn some japanese before i go. would it be beneficial?

Sorry for another long break :oops:

David Bowie
I haven't really heard much about him for AGES, so I don't really know if he's still popular here :roll:

English and stuff in Japan
Only the news is dubbed, and then only a few times a day and on NHK. Almost all street signs are in Japanese only.

I don't think it would be all that important to learn any Japanese before coming, just a few basics like "please/thankyou/this/here/how much?/ a few numbers" stuff like that. If you need to know more while you're here you can always ask at the hotel you'll be staying at, if its a good one, I'd recomend the Imperial, although I am by NO means biased :lol:
I'd also recomend one of those "point and speak" phrasebooks, http://www.japancentre.com/?cmd=itm&cid=7&id=37 which seem very useful if you don't want to go through all the hassle of learning every possible outcome of what you might need to say. Because of course, it's fine being able to ask something, its being able to understand whats said back to you that will probably be the biggest problem.

Haha, that reminds me of Ricky Gervais' stand-up:
"You don't need to learn French in France... if they don't understand you - point, talk a little louder and if they still don't understand you - smash the place up!"

Hey Chris. ^^ I was just wondering, what's the wierdest thing you've seen on a menu over there? xD I've heard they like to eat live octopuses...

Thanks in advance!

Well, you can buy delights such as: whale bacon, deer jerky, bear or walrus or wild boar curry, horse steaks... Yeah, theres live octopus too.

I've heard that the point and speak books are really handy- never used one myself so I can't give a great recomendation but, I think it would be a good buy for someone coming here with little or no language skills.

Well, you can buy delights such as: whale bacon, deer jerky, bear or walrus or wild boar curry, horse steaks... Yeah, theres live octopus too.

I've heard that the point and speak books are really handy- never used one myself so I can't give a great recomendation but, I think it would be a good buy for someone coming here with little or no language skills.

Hey chris, thanks for the advice last time. Since then i have now decided to go to japan for a year with a gap year company. They are gonna help me find a job and a place to live whilst i am there. I just wondered if you can give any advice for someone who is gonna be living out there for the first time?

Thanks.

First of all you'll have to get registered as an "alien", do it as soon as possible after arriving.
I wouldn't bother with learning much Japanese, since ifyou're going to be a teacher or something like that, you won't need it. Just basic stuff would be fine, and you'll pick stuff up suprisingly quick once you're here.
Also, try to get a job placement in Tokyo, everywhere else is pretty boring.
For summertime expect 2 or 3 months of over 30 degrees C or just under- so dress lightly. Winter is pretty cold, but in Tokyo, it doesn't get into the minus' all that often. Getting a bicycle soon after arriving would be a good idea, and a mobile phone (essential).

What other stuff do you want to know about? Ask away :)

Is it true that in Japan marines or something like that cant be arrested so they get away with anything?

What you are probably talking about is in regards to the American marines based in Okinawa, right? It's not exactly true that they can't be prosecuted, its just that most of the time the cases are dealt with by military courts. I'm not sure wheter or not they can be tried in Japanese ones?
There has been increasing pressure on the US military to leave Okinawa, since they cause a LOT of trouble, not just rape, mugging, etc... but all the noise pollution etc... from the base. Theres talk of them being moved to Guam, but I'm not sure that'll happen soon or if ever. Although, with N. Korea being so close and so dangerous they could be useful, since the Japanese military are so bloody hopeless and have absolutely ZERO front-line experience.

I have a question Mr. Chris, it involves my favourite band.

Is it true that Dir en Grey has lost many fans in Japan because they dropped Visual Kei style?

I've heard something like that, colud you clarify it for me? =X

Well, I guess its true that you don't hear of them as much as you used to. But the whole visual-kei has lost popularity in the mainstream, eventhough its been mostly underground anyway.

I kind of have a question: In Japan they have alot of festivals. Could you tell me some of them and what they do on these occasions?

today i bought the Eureka 7 limited edition collectors boxset which has vol 1 dvd, vol 1 manga, t-shirt and soundtrack

not bad for £35 :)
Huh? Is that meant to be a question?

Festivals
Theres a thing about them on Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matsuri

To be honest, they're almost all the same thing: almost identical music, people dancing about weirdly in really silly clothes, a mikoshi or other floats being heaved about, fireworks, drums, flutes, small food/game stalls (almost exclusively run by Yakuza or thugs- i.e.- don't mess with them). I would say that the Nebuta matsuri is the most interesting, it seems to have the most work put into it anyway.
http://www.nebuta.or.jp/

Festivals are very popular in the countryside where the 田舎者 (country-bumpkins) REALLY take them seriously. Ones in Tokyo are popular, but not as much as those outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back