Ask our reporter in Japan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone seems to be answering questions for me! :shock:

It does mean something like "... love strawberries" however the use of "wa" at the start is strange because we don't use it at the start. It sounds like the sentance has been cut-off. :?

Chris said:
however the use of "wa" at the start is strange because we don't use it at the start. It sounds like the sentance has been cut-off. :?
I thought that too, so I just conveniently threw the "I" into the beginning of it.. :lol:

Thanks for your help all of you :lol: :D .

I did originally try looking up the words individually, but that never really works for sentences, i had an idea it was something to do with love though....i was just hoping it wasn't going to turn out to be anything rude.

I'm guessing it's refering to strawberries rather than Bleach, i was recommending it last time i spoke to him, but i don't think he's much of an anime fan.

Thanks again :)

zuki said:
what are the purposes or stone lanterns?

I did a bit of searching and found something in an old book, written in quite old Japanese so it was very hard to read but, they seem to be used as something along the lines of the meaning stained glass windows have in churches.

Just wondering how you write addresses in Japan. Here we put every different thing on a different line, but i was sent a Japanese address to write to the other day and it was only over two lines, and there was lots of numbers. I don't know how i should write it on an envelope

If you are writing it in Japanese:
here's an example

(post code) 123-4567
tokyo-to
chuou-ku kyoubashi 1-2-3
persons name

In English:
persons name
1-2-3 kyoubashi
chuou-ku
Tokyo-to, 123-4567 (post code)
Japan

ALWAYS put your own address on the back of the envelope, some companies don't open mail that doesn't have it written on.

If you have any problems or if this has been no help whatsoever, PM me the address and I'll send you it back :)

i was just wondering what is the crime like in japan.?
is it like really bad like in the UK, where any losers in hoods will run after and 'jack' your phone or money.

or are there lots of gangs like walking the streets looking for trouble?

or is it much cooled down?

The crime rate is rising but it is still not all that bad. You don't hear of muggings hardly ever. There are a few handbag snatches and break-in's are common in some areas.
Most of the crime is carried out by forigners, especially the Chinese.

The organised crime and the Bousouzoku mainly fight with themselves, so they're not much of a problem for normal people. You still get some "oyaji gari" cases though.

Thanks for your help Chris.

Also i was wondering how much of an influence and how popular are western films and music in Japan, and compared to it's own

Chris, could I ask you to find something out for me, if possible..

Will season 2 of Sonic X be airing over there on TV Tokyo any time soon? I've heard rumours that it may happen around August/September time..

Sonic X
There is nothing on the TV Tokyo website. If it happens it will probably start around October, since the Japanese TV schedule starts in OCt and April.

Western Films/Music
Western films are very popular here but I wouldn't say they had much of an impact on the culture. Music is not all that popular, western music sales make up only about 10% of music sales in Japan. It makes me almost wet myself with laughter when I hear western bands saying how they want to be or think they are "big in Japan", as you never hear of ANY of them, and I'm a big music fan! It is very rare that you see a western artist in the Japanese top 100.
Western films dominate the film-charts, but when a Japanese film is released, it almost always goes in at No.1. I hardly ever go to the cinema to watch a Japanese film, because after a year or less it goes onto TV :D And the only good Japanese film that has been out in the last few years is "Yomigaeri", most of the others, especially Takashi's films I avoid like the plague.

That all really interesting, thanks again Chris. I will now never believe another person in music when they claim they are big in Japan :lol: . Also it's interesting how popular watern films are, i was wondering if people wouldn't mind watching them dubbed over

Most films, except for childrens ones are subtitled.
Some Korean ones are also dubbed. I hate the dubbings though, the Japanese voice actors all seem to think they are some kind of John Wayne type. The voices get SO irritating :x

Wow they watch them subtitled, going to the cinema must have a completely different feel to it in Japan. The cinema is always pretty popular over here, how popular is it in Japan if alot of the films are subtitled

The cinema is really popular. Despite the fact that we pay some of the highest ticket prices in the world! (1800 Yen, about 10 Pounds)
Most cinemas do a cheaper price (1000 Yen) for showings after 20:30 or 21:00, and the 1st of every month is also 1000 for any film all day. Wednesday in most of Japan and Friday in Tokyo is "ladys day" when films are 1000 Yen for women all day.

People prefer to see films in subtitles, I guess its better to see it in its original form rather than one that has been translated and dubbed (by people who make a living speaking with annoying voices). However I seem to be the only one who has noticed this, as no-one else seems bothered by the voices :cry:

Wow expensive tickets, thats almost unbelievable, £10 for a ticket, at my cinema i only have to pay half that.
I think it's really good that they watch films with their original voices and everything in Japan. Heres what i'm wondering now, if you go to the cinema to see a western film, and since you know both Japanese and English, do you listen to the voices or read the subtitles

I usually listen and read, a lot of the time I don't realise that I'm reading the subtitles. Most of the time though I pick out mistakes in the translation for fun. There have been some really funny ones, since the translators are Japanese and sometimes they don't understand some jokes/phrases/slang.

Interesting, it got me to wondering about that last question as i remember you saying a while ago that you don't get much of a chance to read or write English, and that you have forgotten the English words for things before.
Thanks for all your info again Chris :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back