Asian Cuisine ?

dapprman said:

:mrgreen: :thumb:

If this just so happens to go missing one night, just remember that I had nothing to do with it ..

omnomnom

Accepting questions for Thai food, my partners Thai & his family have a restaurant business, thus I eat far too much Thai food & have become quite ..educated on the matter.

Managed to get into Nottingham today and learned that the fresh deliveries are every Saturday but as funds were limited I couldn't get much.
Guybano flavour Mochi Cakes.
Taro flavour Mochi Cakes.
Green Tea Mochi.
Strawberry Pocky from Thailand.
South Korea Pepero Nude (yes,really!).
Wasabi flavour Tempura Seaweed.
Roasted and Spicy flavour Tempura Seaweed.
Chocolate Mochi Truffles.
Peach Puddings. These are from Taiwan and have a label that say "may have an adverse effect on activity and attention in children", like what exactly, I might finally grow to the level of a child? :lol: .

I was thinking today , would the mods be happy about a new thread purely for reviews and should we try and workout some rules as to what can and can't be reviewed?. The hope is for all of us to compile a list of all the different foodstuffs so that people can have a look and maybe try them for themselves.

What I bought today

Lotte Pepero Almond
Choco Boy
Lotte kancho
Kailo Beef Bucket Noodles - come with a fork :p
nong shim oolongmen (Chicken)
Nong Shim Hot & Spicy Shin Cup Noodle Soup
Sapporo Ichiban Chow Mein
Sapporo Ichiban Shrimp
Sapporo Ichiban Miso Ramen
Shin Ramyun Hot & Spicy Noodle Soup
Cham Pong Ramyun

Buliding up quite a stash so I can start reviewing and hopefully others will join in.
Today I bought
Wife cakes.
Husband Cakes.
Orange Jelly, ready to eat sachets.
A bag of mixed Mochi.
Pandan flavour wafer sticks.
Strawberry Pocky (lunchbox style).
Chocolate Pocky (lunchbox style).
Calbee Curry flavour crisps.
Mochi with Milk and Mung Bean filling.
Mochi with Milk and Red Bean filling.

And I've still got a load of other stuff hidden away :lol: .

Today I bought:

Huang Lian (Rhizoma Coptidis, this was a blind buy, never used nor tasted)
goji berries
dried lotus seeds
azuki beans
Tie Guan Yin tea

will try to invent some new desserts with these.

Teo

Ho's Bakery.

I've spent about £15 there in two days and everything averages £1.20. I can't help myself. There's still 2 savoury and about 4 sweet things on my list to try.

In terms of like snacks, I've mainly been eating fortune cookies, hey panda and some that are fish shaped, pretzel biscuit with chocolate filling (can't remember the name).

I've got a bamboo steamer. I want to cook fish in it but 1. I'm not sure of the best kind (like should it be thick like a tuna steak/cod or can it be thin like seabass/rainbow trout?) and 2. I have no idea how long it would take to cook said fish.

Saying that I have no idea how long i'd steam dumplings in it either. I'm useless! :'( :p

You can steam any fish, lighter flavoured ones are probably a better option, and again thinner (else you risk over cooking the outside and under-cooking the inside). It's worth trawling the net, but if your basket is large enough trout steamed with julienned ginger and spring onion and some soy, then finished off with some hot oil. A classic Chinese dish.

Oh and don't forget to put the fish on a plate - don't place food directly on the steamer itself ;)

-Danielle- said:
I've got a bamboo steamer. I want to cook fish in it but 1. I'm not sure of the best kind (like should it be thick like a tuna steak/cod or can it be thin like seabass/rainbow trout?) and 2. I have no idea how long it would take to cook said fish.

What dapprman wrote is correct.
Some other things. Time depends mainly on the thickness and secondly on the kind of fish. A piece of "belly" (can't remember how it's called in English, the side near the gills) and a piece of tail will take different times: the tail will be cooked sooner, since it's less thick. Two pieces of the same thickness but different fish will take different cooking time.
To learn how much time it takes to cook a piece of fish you just need experience. The best thing is to control how much it takes for the visible parts to be cooked (they change color), after that the remaining time is proportional to the thickness.
Beware to not overcook your fish. Especially tuna and cod: when overcooked they really turn to crap.

Teo

teonzo said:
Huang Lian (Rhizoma Coptidis, this was a blind buy, never used nor tasted)

Just tasted the infusion... holy s*** is this thing bitter!
I think I'll try to use it in an ice-cream (white base, no eggs) with marron glaces and some Sichuan pepper tuilles.

Teo

Back