Asian Cinema Thread

Shinji Somai may have been the best filmmaker to emerge in Japan in the 80s and I'm baffled that it has taken this long for one of his films to be released across here but I'm glad that - after nearly 10 years of my begging! - Sailor Suit and Machine Gun is going to break the drought. It's not my favourite of his films, however it is not only the quintessential 'idol film' but also a terrific subversion of the yakuza genre.

If anyone fancies acquainting themselves with Somai's work, you can find Typhoon Club - arguably his masterpiece and one of the best films of the 1980s - on YouTube with minimal effort. I can also highly recommend Moving, probably the most obviously Ghibli-influenced live action film of its time (and I feel that it probably had some influence itself on Miyazaki's Spirited Away), and P.P Rider, a zany coming-of-age rescue-quest film

88 Films has offered an update regarding their Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky and Robotrix releases.

Released on Monday 20th in stores on online but there may be limited availability as we are moving warehouse on the 27th so some stock was sent there waiting for switchover. This also applies to The Story of Ricky where we couldn't even get hold of a sample copy ourselves.
Therefore we won't be able to sell either product from our website until next week and we won't be able to ship them until w/c 27th September.

I'm playing it safe so I have decided to order both through Amazon since its due for Monday.

88 Films has offered an update regarding their Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky and Robotrix releases.

I'm playing it safe so I have decided to order both through Amazon since its due for Monday.
Cancelled them on Amazon as I have a 10% birthday voucher and my Amazon Robotrix got bumped to the 25th anyway 🤷‍♂️

Cancelled them on Amazon as I have a 10% birthday voucher and my Amazon Robotrix got bumped to the 25th anyway 🤷‍♂️
Yeah I was hoping for the titles to be available this week because my Birthday voucher expires in a few days oof.

I've made last minute orders before with Eureka on Amazon and they arrived fast thanks to Prime shipping so I'm hoping both will do the same (and if they don't then I can always switch to 88 when that opportunity arrives).

Yeah I was hoping for the titles to be available this week because my Birthday voucher expires in a few days oof.

I've made last minute orders before with Eureka on Amazon and they arrived fast thanks to Prime shipping so I'm hoping both will do the same (and if they don't then I can always switch to 88 when that opportunity arrives).
I’ve done the same with those two upcoming titles. Looking forward to seeing them in hand.

Guessing a lot of people were waiting on 88films to do pre orders but the fomo has kicked in as Robotrix & Story of Ricky are Amazon's 19th & 30th best selling blu rays respectively!

Also shout out to OPM s2!!

Screenshot_20210917-162415_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20210917-162426_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Looks like 88 has updated their listing for Story of Ricky with 'Not in Stock' despite the £888 price still there, which my guess is implying that it's actually sold out already.

And for those wondering, my copies for both films is delayed because Royal Mail accidently sent them to the wrong depot but its back on track and should arrive tomorrow.

Looks like 88 has updated their listing for Story of Ricky with 'Not in Stock' despite the £888 price still there, which my guess is implying that it's actually sold out already.

And for those wondering, my copies for both films is delayed because Royal Mail accidently sent them to the wrong depot but its back on track and should arrive tomorrow.
That's gonna piss off a lot of people if true, and rightly so.....

Is there much difference between this release of ricki-oh & the arrow release?
Scavenger over on the Blu-ray forum went into more detail about the specs, but basically the authoring on 88's release has been improved. It's the same master, but encoded better with the English dub sync issue that was on Mediumrare's been amended in this release, and the aspect ratio is now 1.85:1 which displays more of the film's presentation.

There are a couple new additions to the mix, including four audio commentaries, the original Cantonese audio mono option, and a booklet that doesn't copy/paste itself from Wikipedia.

Yeah it's odd that the 88 logo is at the bottom, I wonder if they're trying to change it up or they just misplaced it.
For Shaw releases the 88 logo has always been at the bottom, the big difference is the complete lack of uniformity with the previous 28 titles in the collection!

Personally I prefer this style over the previous but when you're this far into it you can't really change without annoying people.

I'd understand why they did it if it was because of the American market and starting at number 29 is a bit silly but their first two US releases 27 & 28 have the numbering on the side. May change in final artwork though...

Screenshot_20210920-114434_Twitter.jpg

For Shaw releases the 88 logo has always been at the bottom, the big difference is the complete lack of uniformity with the previous 28 titles in the collection!

Personally I prefer this style over the previous but when you're this far into it you can't really change without annoying people.

I'd understand why they did it if it was because of the American market and starting at number 29 is a bit silly but their first two US releases 27 & 28 have the numbering on the side. May change in final artwork though...

Wait I'm confused why is there no picture of Goku and Vegeta fighting? 🤔

Back