Asian Cinema Thread

Looks like the Lucky Stars set has sold out (after ONE day) and is now on to the basic edition on Amazon! (When they get another print run done)

Screenshot_20210323-220849_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I haven't seen many Asian cinema films and my collection is non existant but I guess I'll throw my hat in the rimg. Out of the handful I've seen my favourite has to be I Saw The Devil. Its a brutal Korean revenge thriller and its absolutely fantastic. It has some excellent direction/cinematography and its genuinely tense in places. I'd definitely recommend it.

I've also seen Takashi Miike's Audition and was disappointed. From what I read I was prepared for this ultra violent, disturbing film but the internet really over sold it. Sure, those elements are in there but you have to sit through an hour and a half of a fairly boring romance film to get there.
I agree with you about Audition
I read some people walked out of a festival screening when first released
They must of had dodgy stomachs beforehand!
The film didn’t get violent until the end but to me was not over the top
Overrated in my opinion and definitely not one of Miikes best

I have too many to list. I'll try to remember to take photos when I get home though, if my internet isn't still broken :(.

I saw the devil was mentioned earlier, gotta add my recommendation to that and suggest checking out cold fish if you liked it.

If you've not seen crows zero (live action manga adaptation by takashi miike) the us blu-ray is actually region free but there's no English sub of crows zero 2 & only a UK DVD release.
I got the UK dvd of the excellent film I Saw The Devil but I have get the R1 International version sometime which I later read has additional scenes

Coming soon to Eureka Classics is Sammo Hung's 1980 Hong Kong film Encounter Of The Spooky Kind (鬼打鬼) and for Eureka Masters of Cinema is Johnnie To's 2003 Hong Kong film PTU: Police Tactical Unit, both scheduled for 21st June 2021. Artwork and specs will be revealed when Eureka does their June line-up very soon.

The latter of which was actually previously released in the UK by Third Window Films on DVD so this is an interesting surprise.

Last edited:
Coming soon to Eureka Classics is Sammo Hung's 1980 Hong Kong film Encounter Of The Spooky Kind (鬼打鬼) and for Eureka Masters of Cinema is Johnnie To's 2003 Hong Kong film PTU: Police Tactical Unit, both scheduled for 21st June 2021. Artwork and specs will be revealed when Eureka does their June line-up very soon.

The latter of which was actually previously released in the UK by Third Window Films on DVD so this is an interesting surprise.
Two great films, I still have my Hong Kong Legends copy of Spooky Encounters. So much better than Mr. Vampire in my opinion.

Now with added cover. I'm sure Grav will do a breakdown of the extras.
Screenshot_20210325-161425_Zavvi.jpg
Eureka spooky encounters.jpg
Love that they're going with the same style as Mr. Vampire making it a sort of unofficial classic Hong Kong horror collection (I'll put money down now they've got A Chinese Ghost Story)
Eureka Mr vampire.jpg

Arrow Video will be re-releasing Akio Jissoji - The Buddhist Trilogy as a single amaray set similarly to the re-issues from previous titles last year. SRP £24.99 and scheduled for 5th April 2021.

Graveyards of Honor will also be re-released in a similar design to The Ring Collection, so you'll have the same packaging but without the limited edition booklet. SRP £29.99 and scheduled for an unspecified window.

12932494-1444847456119173.jpg
12932494-7484847456066376.jpg

12919383-7594850013775356.jpg

Now with added cover. I'm sure Grav will do a breakdown of the extras.
Encounter of the Spooky Kind - SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Limited Edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Darren Wheeling [2000 copies]
  • Limited Edition reversible poster featuring the film’s original HK artwork [2000 copies]
  • Limited Edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing by James Oliver [2000 copies]
  • 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a brand new 2K restoration (worldwide debut of this restoration on home video)
  • Cantonese audio (original mono presentation)
  • Rare alternate Cantonese soundtrack
  • Optional English dubbed audio
  • Optional English Subtitles (newly translated for this release)
  • Brand new feature length audio commentary by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival)
  • Archival interview with Sammo Hung
  • Alternate English opening & closing credits
  • Stills Gallery
  • Original trailer
PTU - SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Limited Edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Grégory Sacré (Gokaiju) [2000 units]
  • 1080p presentation on Blu-ray
  • Cantonese audio (DTS-HD MA 5.1 and LPCM 2.0 options)
  • Optional English dubbed audio
  • Optional English Subtitles and English SDH
  • Brand new feature length audio commentary by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival)
  • Archival interview with director Johnnie To
  • Archival interview with actor Simon Yam
  • Archival interview with actress Maggie Siu
  • Trailers
  • A collector’s booklet featuring new writing by David West (NEO Magazine)

Zavvi is holding a Arrow sale, before Arrow themselves does their own on their store, so pricing is going to be interesting.

For instance a £13.99 Arrow title using the code ARROW40 will total £8.39, however you also have £1.99 postage which usually matches the Amazon listings at times.

Arrow Video has announced Irezumi for 21st June 2021.

3415d69f-ea06-461b-9a05-85c207e5fd16.jpg
49933331-c590-4a42-bf35-e66605120b61.jpg
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation from a new 4K scan
  • Original uncompressed Japanese mono audio
  • Optional English subtitles
  • Brand new audio commentary by Japanese cinema scholar David Desser
  • Newly filmed introduction by Japanese cinema expert Tony Rayns
  • Out of the Darkness, a brand new visual essay by Asian cinema scholar Daisuke Miyao
  • Original Trailer
  • Image Gallery
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tony Stella
  • FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collectors' booklet featuring new writing by Thomas Lamarre and Daisuke Miyao

Meanwhile, 88 Films has revealed the specs for their upcoming Jackie Chan release of Snake in the Eagle's Shadow.
Slipcase with brand-new artwork from R.P. “Kung Fu Bob” O’Brien [Limited Edition - first print run only]
  • Limited Edition Foldout poster and 4 collectable art cards [Limited Edition - first print run only]
  • DTS-HD MA Cantonese Mono
  • DTS-HD MA Mandarin Mono
  • DTS-HD MA Classic English Dub
  • Newly Remastered English Subtitles
  • Audio Commentary by Asian cinema experts Mike Leeder and Arne Venema
  • Audio Commentary by actor/stuntman John Kreng and R.P. “Kung Fu Bob” O’Brien
  • “Horan in the Eagles Shadow” an interview with Roy Horan
  • “Out of the Shadows” with HK film expert and film director George Clarke
  • US Opening Credits
  • Reconstructed Chinese Opening Credits
  • Original Hong Kong Trailer with English subtitles
  • English Trailer
  • US Trailer
  • Reversible sleeve with original Hong Kong poster artwork and brand-new artwork from R.P. “Kung Fu Bob” O’Brien

Amazon has lowered the prices for a selection of Asian films!

88 Films:
  • New Fist of Fury - £13.99
  • The Young Master (Deluxe Edition) - £14.99
Arrow Films:
  • Battle Royale - £7.99
  • Detective Bureau 2-3: Go To Hell Bastards! - £7.99
  • JSA: Joint Security Area - £16.91
  • Massacre Gun - £7.99
  • Ring - £7.99
  • Sister Street Fighter - £9.99
  • The Yakuza Papers: Hiroshima Death Match - £7.99
  • Zombie for Sale - £7.99
Misc:
(Disclaimer: Amazon links are affiliated)

There's also
Blade of the Immortal for £7.99
Encounter of the Spooky Kind Preorder for £15.65

More tweaks/adjustments to the prices on Amazon for Asian films! I've re-mentioned some from an earlier post mainly because they were either once out of stock (and now back) or are still available at the low price it has.

88 Films:
  • New Fist of Fury - £13.00
  • The Young Master (Deluxe Edition) - £14.99
Arrow Films:
  • Audition - £7.99
  • Battle Royale - £7.99 (white banner version)
  • Black Society Trilogy [Shinjuku Third Society, Rainy Dogs, Ley Lines] - £14.99
  • Cops vs Thugs - £7.99 (temporarily OOS)
  • Dead or Alive Trilogy [Dead or Alive, Dead or Alive 2, Dead or Alive Final] - £14.99
  • Doberman Cop - £7.99 (temporarily OOS)
  • Massacre Gun - £7.99 (temporarily OOS)
  • Oldboy - £7.99
  • The Ring Collection [Ring, Ring 2, Ring 0: Birthday, Spiral] - £24.99
  • The Third Murder - £6.59
  • Three Films by Jia Zhangke [24 City, A Touch of Sin, Mountains May Depart] - £19.99
  • The Vengeance Trilogy [Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Lady Vengeance] - £24.99
  • Zombie for Sale - £7.99
Misc:
  • Bong Joon Ho Collection [Parasite + B&W, Snowpiercer, Barking Dogs Never Bite, Memories of Murder, Mother, The Host] - £45.99
  • Long Day's Journey Into Night - £10.91
(Disclaimer: Amazon links are affiliated)

Third Window Films has announced plans to release Katsuhito Ishii's 2005 film Funky Forest: The First Contact (Naisu no Mori THE FIRST CONTACT) and his 2011 film The Warped Forest (Asatte no Mori) as a Blu-ray double pack.

Many of you are probably familiar with Funky Forest without realising as it was one of those Japanese films that had clips go viral years ago for being very "WTF" like this.

Now the biggest deal is actually The Warped Forest because to my knowledge this has never been released on home video in any region. It had a US festival release and that was it.

Third Window Films has announced plans to release Katsuhito Ishii's 2005 film Funky Forest: The First Contact (Naisu no Mori THE FIRST CONTACT) and his 2011 film The Warped Forest (Asatte no Mori) as a Blu-ray double pack.

Many of you are probably familiar with Funky Forest without realising as it was one of those Japanese films that had clips go viral years ago for being very "WTF" like this.

Now the biggest deal is actually The Warped Forest because to my knowledge this has never been released on home video in any region. It had a US festival release and that was it.
Clicked on the WTF link.... my brain hurts.

88 Films has posted an update on their Facebook page that implies the most recent Jackie Chan release Snake in the Eagles Shadow will be available only until the end of this year (in other words, you have from May 2021 to December 2021 to get the film).

Pre-orders will begin very soon on their official website.

Well, that worked. Wasn't going to get SITES, but put a time limit on the release and I've pulled out my wallet before I even realise.

Well, that worked. Wasn't going to get SITES, but put a time limit on the release and I've pulled out my wallet before I even realise.
Plus ordering from 88 Films site also has that points system stuff, so if you spent a certain amount you can redeem the points into savings for future releases (for instance I saved £5 on Young Master earlier in the year, while others saved as much as £20+).

I plan to order the film on Monday when I get more funds.

Back