Asian Cinema Thread

Plus ordering from 88 Films site also has that points system stuff, so if you spent a certain amount you can redeem the points into savings for future releases (for instance I saved £5 on Young Master earlier in the year, while others saved as much as £20+).

I plan to order the film on Monday when I get more funds.

Yeah, I had £7 worth of points going, and I threw Crime Story into my basket for good measure.

June is going to be interesting because if my timing is right I can make use of the Birthday discount for something like Erotic Ghost Story or Forbidden City Cop lol.
I was saving all my points for Armour of God, but they haven't got around to announcing a release date yet. I want to get rid of my Mediumrare disc, and have it match up with 88's Armour of God II.

I always order direct with 88Films nowadays, they’re killing it with these releases and as Grav mentioned the points system is pretty solid. I’ll be in for SITES, especially with the limited licensing. EDIT: SITES is available to order now from the webstore.

Last edited:
Cine Asia have announced The Swordsman is coming to blu ray 24th May (DVD/Digital 17th May)
Been looking forward to this for awhile!!

Screenshot_20210421-124947_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Next batch of Eureka Entertainment titles have been revealed (leaked to say). I'll spoiler tag them if you want to wait until tomorrow for the reveals:
  • Ringo Lam's 1989 film Wild Search (labelled under Eureka Classics)
  • Sammo Hung's 1986 film Millionaires Express (2 disc limited edition release labelled under Masters of Cinema)

I don't know if I want to consider Cine-Asia's releases as I haven't heard much in terms of QC and reputation tbh.
I own the majority of their initial Hong Kong releases and haven't noticed any problems but haven't bought many of their recent releases (last 3 - 4yrs)
What's their reputation like these days??

Next batch of Eureka Entertainment titles have been revealed (leaked to say). I'll spoiler tag them if you want to wait until tomorrow for the reveals:
  • Ringo Lam's 1989 film Wild Search (labelled under Eureka Classics)
  • Sammo Hung's 1986 film Millionaires Express (2 disc limited edition release labelled under Masters of Cinema)
According to Amazon Millionaires Express is Eureka Classics. Which I'd much prefer as it'll fit in with the rest of the collection!

(surprised pikachu face)

Yeah that makes sense. Must have confused myself with Buster Keaton lol
I wouldn't have put it past them to release it on the Masters of Cinema line just for fun (damn Drunken Master!!)

Here's hoping they can get the rights to Drunken Master 2 (one of the ones I thought/hoped they might be announcing) and do a 1 & 2 box set like Police Story & Project A.

Officially revealed now - Eureka Entertainment July 2021 releases:

The Millionaires Express
富貴列車
Dir. Sammo Hung
814s1lHDssS._AC_SL1500_.jpg
LIMITED EDITION 2-DISC BLU-RAY CONTAINS
  • Four versions of the film across two Blu-ray discs, all presented from brand new 2K restorations
  • Limited Edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Darren Wheeling
  • Limited Edition reversible poster featuring new and original artwork
  • Limited Edition Bonus Disc featuring the English language version of the film originally prepared for the international theatrical release; and a new cut of the film prepared exclusively for this release that combines footage from the original theatrical and extended cuts of the film to present a hypothetical “complete” version
  • Limited Edition booklet featuring new writing and rare archival imagery
DISC ONE
  • 1080p presentation on Blu-ray of the Original Hong Kong Theatrical Cut from a brand new 2K restoration
  • 1080p presentation on Blu-ray of the Extended Version (sometimes erroneously labelled theInternational Cut) of the film from a brand new 2K restoration
  • Cantonese audio (original mono presentation)
  • Alternate English dub track
  • Rare alternate Cantonese soundtrack
  • Optional English dubbed audio
  • Optional English Subtitles (newly translated for this release)
  • Brand new feature length audio commentary by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival) [Hong Kong Theatrical Version]
  • Brand new select scene commentary by actress and martial arts movie icon, Cynthia Rothrock [Hong Kong Theatrical Version]
  • Brand new audio commentary by Mike Leeder and Arne Venema [Extended Version]
  • Brand new interview with Cynthia Rothrock
  • Archival interview with Sammo Hung
  • Archival interview with Cynthia Rothrock
  • Archival interview with Yuen Biao
  • Archival interview with Yukari Oshima
  • Alternate English opening & closing credits
  • Trailers
*All extras subject to change

DISC TWO (Limited Edition)

• 1080p presentation on Blu-ray of the English Language Version from a brand new 2K restoration
  • 1080p presentation on Blu-ray of the Hybrid Cut, newly created exclusively for this release from a brand new 2K restoration
  • Original English dubbed audio track [English Language Version]
  • Original Cantonese mono audio [Hybrid Cut]
  • Optional English subtitles
*All extras subject to change
Wild Search
伴我闖天涯
Dir. Ringo Lam
71DAcrZRWXS._AC_SL1500_.jpg
  • Limited Edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Grégory Sacré (Gokaiju) [First Print Run of 2000 copies only]
  • 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a High Definition transfer from the original film elements
  • Original Cantonese audio
  • Optional English Subtitles
  • Brand new feature length audio commentary by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival)
  • Archival interview with actor Roy Cheung
  • PLUS: A LIMITED EDITION collector’s booklet featuring new writing by David West (NEO Magazine) [First Print Run of 2000 copies only] *All extras subject to change

88 Films July 2021 titles have showed up on Amazon and one of them is another addition to the Category III Hong Kong line-up.

Robotrix (女机械人), a 1991 film by director Jamie Luk Kin-ming. Priced the same as Erotic Ghost Story so expect a special set for this one potentially.

81F2PkGXkLS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

On Wikipedia about the film's rating:
"This erotic R-rated thriller is notable for a Hong Kong film on general release in featuring frequent female full-frontal nudity, and is particularly notable for a scene of brief full-frontal male nudity (of Hong Kong Chinese actor Chung Lin, playing the robot version of Japanese scientist Ryuichi Yamamoto), as it is perhaps the first time in Hong Kong cinema that a Chinese adult male's private parts have been fully revealed on camera in a film for general release.

It was also perhaps notable for leading the way in Hong Kong category 3 martial arts films. Cast member Vincent Lyn said of the film, "Now that was one wild shoot. The cast and crew were all over the place and you were lucky to find out what you were doing before the cameras rolled. I spent more time laughing on the set than anything else.""

Last edited:
88 Films July 2021 titles have showed up on Amazon and one of them is another addition to the Category III Hong Kong line-up.

Robotrix (女机械人), a 1991 film by director Jamie Luk Kin-ming. Priced the same as Erotic Ghost Story so expect a special set for this one potentially.

81F2PkGXkLS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

On Wikipedia about the film's rating:
Fingers crossed they keep the Mediumrare version's New York Times quote because that sold it for me!!

Screenshot_20210426-010029_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Speaking of cuts the 88films release of Snake In the Eagle's Shadow still has the cat scene cut (which I'm fine with) but apart from that it's exactly the same as the HKL version?
So how has it dropped from an 18 rating (HKL) to a 12 rating (88films) seems weird for it to drop 2 whole 'levels' for the same film...

Edit. Even weirder, I checked the BBFC and 88films is a longer cut?!

Screenshot_20210426-015949_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210426-020042_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of cuts the 88films release of Snake In the Eagle's Shadow still has the cat scene cut (which I'm fine with) but apart from that it's exactly the same as the HKL version?
So how has it dropped from an 18 rating (HKL) to a 12 rating (88films) seems weird for it to drop 2 whole 'levels' for the same film...

Edit. Even weirder, I checked the BBFC and 88films is a longer cut?!

View attachment 18509
View attachment 18510
Part of the reason I suspect BBFC lowered the grade is because they were very harsh on the Martial Art films back then, and many of the titles 88 and Eureka re-released weren't re-rated at all. I think SITES was an exception because of the BBFC cut requirement so they probably played it safe for that reason.

Also, good news, I got a response over my BBFC query for Robotrix and it has passed uncut.

Looks like Arrow will be releasing a Yokai Monsters box set in the future. Daimajin is also coming which was mentioned before.

88 Films has confirmed The Young Master has finally sold out on its 5000 unit print run. Like Dragon's Forever, the second disc will be included in the standard edition release.

There's also low stock for the other recent Jackie Chan first print titles:
  • Shaolin Wooden Men < 200 / 3000
  • Spiritual Kung Fu < 100 / 3000
  • New Fist of Fury < 300 / 3000

Last edited:
Another 88 Films update.

Erotic Ghost Story has been pushed back to 16th August 2021.

Jimmy Wang's 1970 film The Chinese Boxer is listed for 30th August 2021, and it seems to be part of the 88 Asia Shaw Brothers collection.

Another 88 Films update.

Erotic Ghost Story has been pushed back to 16th August 2021.

Jimmy Wang's 1970 film The Chinese Boxer is listed for 30th August 2021, and it seems to be part of the 88 Asia Shaw Brothers collection.
So guess that'll make Robotrix 88 film's first Cat 3 film then!

Was kind of hoping for an Armour of God date too so let's hope that's not all of them!

Back