Asian Cinema Thread

Arrow Video has revealed plans to release Graveyard of Honor, both the original by Kinji Fukasaku and the remake by Takashi Miike.

EbcZcNUWsAIL5zk

SRP £44.99 and is scheduled for 7th September 2020.
LE contents:
  • Limited edition packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork by Ian MacEwan
  • Illustrated collector s booklet featuring new writing on both films by Jasper Sharp
Graveyard of Horror (1975):
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
  • Original lossless Japanese PCM 1.0 mono soundtrack
  • Optional English subtitles
  • New audio commentary by author and critic Mark Schilling
  • Like a Balloon: The Life of a Yakuza, a new visual essay by critic and Projection Booth podcast host Mike White
  • A Portrait of Rage, an archival appreciation of Fukasaku and his films, featuring interviews with filmmakers, scholars, and friends of the director
  • On the Set with Fukasaku, an archival interview with assistant director Kenichi Oguri
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Imagery gallery
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Ian MacEwan
Graveyard of Horror (2002):
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
  • Original lossless Japanese PCM 2.0 stereo soundtrack
  • Optional English subtitles
  • New audio commentary by Miike biographer Tom Mes
  • New visual essay by author and critic Kat Ellinger
  • Archival interview special featuring Miike and cast members Goro Kishitani and Narimi Arimori
  • Archival making-of featurette
  • Archival making-of teaser
  • Archival press release interviews featuring Miike, Kishitani and Arimori
  • Archival premiere special featuring Miike, Kishitani and Arimori
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Imagery gallery
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Ian MacEwan
UPDATE: Now available to pre-order on Amazon UK for £35 (same price as Arrow without the postage).

(Disclaimer: Amazon link is affiliated to help support me financially)

Last edited:
FeatlessHyena3Dslipcase_1400x.jpg

New update on the Jackie Chan Fearless Hyena 88 Films release.

First Print edition:
  • Limited Edition Gloss O-Card slipcase. New artwork from R.P. “Kung Fu Bob” O’Brien.
  • Limited Edition Booklet featuring rare stills, posters, lobby cards, behind- the-scenes photos, production stills and more.
Transfer of the film:
  • New 2K restoration from the Original 35mm Negatives in 2:35:1 Aspect Ratio.
Audio & Subtitles:
  • Original Cantonese Mono
  • Cantonese 5.1 mix
  • English mono Dub
  • English 5.1 mix
  • Newly translated English subtitles
Extra Notes:
  • Audio Commentary by Hong Kong cinema experts Mike Leeder and Arne Venema
  • Trailer
  • Reversible sleeve with alternative Hong Kong poster artwork
Both Fearless Hyena and Dragon Lord are scheduled for this August.

Third Window Films has acquired the rights to release The Taste of Tea (茶の味), a 2004 Japanese film by director Katsuhito Ishii.

o1080056214473832562.jpg

Katsuhito Ishii's credits include the 1999 debut directing role with Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl, 2000 film Party 7, the 2005 bizarre WTF anthology film Funky Forest: The First Contact, and was one of three individuals who wrote the screenplay for Madhouse's anime film Redline.

Credit to Winkuru for making note that there's an Arrow Video (+ Arrow Academy & Third Window Films) sale going on.

One notable appearance is a standard edition release for Three Films by Jia Zhang-ke collection, featuring the films 24 City (2008), A Touch of Sin (2013), and Mountains May Depart (2015), available for SRP £34.99 and on sale for £20.00.

One Missed Call Trilogy is a title I’m tempted to get from said sale, meanwhile 88 Films have put up Dragon Lord and The Fearless Hyena up for sale on their website so made my pre-orders for those.

The latest updated release schedule for Asian Cinema!

July 2020:

DateNameLanguageDirectorFormatDistributor
6thHanagatamiJapaneseNobuhiko ObayashiBlu-rayThird Window Films
6thInferno Of TortureJapaneseTeruo IshiiBlu-rayArrow Video
6thZombie For SaleKoreanLee Min-jaeBlu-rayArrow Video
13thHiroshimaJapaneseHideo SekigawaBlu-rayArrow Academy
20thMaborosiJapaneseHirokazu Kore-edaBlu-rayBFI
20thMr. VampireCantoneseRicky LauBlu-rayEureka Entertainment
20thThree Outlaw SamuraiJapaneseHideo GoshaBlu-rayCriterion

August 2020:

DateNameLanguageDirectorFormatDistributor
10thDragon LordCantoneseJackie ChanBlu-ray88 Films
10thThe Fearless HyenaCantoneseJackie ChanBlu-ray88 Films
10thFish StoryJapaneseYoshihiro NakamuraBlu-rayThird Window Films
17thAfter LifeJapaneseHirokazu Kore-edaBlu-rayBFI
17thGamera: The Complete CollectionJapaneseVariousBlu-rayArrow Video
24thBlack Test Car & The Black ReportJapaneseYasuzo MasumuraBlu-rayArrow Video

September 2020:

Date:NameLanguageDirectorFormatDistributor
7thGraveyards of HonorJapaneseKinji Fukasaku
Takashi Miike
Blu-rayArrow Video
7thMelancholicJapaneseSeiji TanakaBlu-ray & DVDThird Window Films
14thKwaidan (Standard Edition release)JapaneseMasaki KobayashiBlu-rayEureka 'Masters of Cinema'
21stMade In Hong KongCantoneseFruit ChanBlu-rayEureka 'Masters of Cinema'
28thThe MasterCantoneseTsui HarkBlu-ray88 Films

Coming Soon (No Scheduled Date Yet):

NameLanguageDirectorDistributor
The Burning Buddha Man & Violence VoyagerJapaneseUjichaThird Window Films
GeminiJapaneseShinya TsukamotoThird Window Films
The H-Man & Battle in Outer SpaceJapaneseIshirō HondaEureka 'Masters of Cinema'
Pink Films Vol. 5 & 6: Women Hell Song & Underwater LoveJapaneseWatanabe Mamoru
Shinji Imaoka
Third Window Films
Ran (4K Ultra HD Blu-ray)JapaneseAkira KurosawaStudio Canal
The Taste of TeaJapaneseKatsuhito IshiiThird Window Films
Untold StoryCantoneseHerman Yau88 Films

Update on the Dragon Lord release, it seems it won't have a booklet but instead a folded poster and a couple art cards.

Limited Edition Gloss O-Card slipcase [First Print Run Only] New artwork from R.P. “Kung Fu Bob” O’Brien
Limited Edition Foldout Poster featuring artwork from "Kung Fu Bob" O'Brien
Limited Edition set of 4 x Postcards

The Taste of Tea is one of the best Japanese films of the 00s and this is a wonderful pick-up by Third Window. I'll be pre-ordering that when it's officially announced. I was hoping that Amazon would post my pre-order of Hanagatami today but it doesn't look like there's going to be any movement. Stuck a pre-order in for Graveyards of Honour and Taste of Cherry as well.

Ah guess Amazon being Amazon again. Guess your links only work for UK customers because no matter what I try, even just searching on the ASIN code, I can't add them to my basket at all.

Seen this happen frequently in the last months, probably due to the Covid crisis, that Amazon UK (also DE where it's even worse) refuses you to add stuff if you're not an UK customer.

Ah guess Amazon being Amazon again. Guess your links only work for UK customers because no matter what I try, even just searching on the ASIN code, I can't add them to my basket at all.

Seen this happen frequently in the last months, probably due to the Covid crisis, that Amazon UK (also DE where it's even worse) refuses you to add stuff if you're not an UK customer.
It's similar to Amazon US where you need to enter an address specific to the region in order for the listing to appear. So for instance on Amazon US, I change the location to 90210 and the newer anime sets appear.

Thanks for the heads up @NormanicGrav Picked up 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, Come Drink with Me, North Sea Hijack, and The Spiritual Boxer. Came to just under £40. I’ll stick to 88Films directly for any future JC titles though. They seem to have a few JCVD titles that are going up soon too.

The Vengeance Trilogy is now £15 on Amazon. What a bargain. While I love Oldboy, Lady Vengeance might be my favourite in the set.

(Disclaimer: Amazon links are affiliated to help support me financially)

Back