Asian Cinema Thread

NormanicGrav

(゜ロ゜)
AUKN Staff
Ah guess Amazon being Amazon again. Guess your links only work for UK customers because no matter what I try, even just searching on the ASIN code, I can't add them to my basket at all.

Seen this happen frequently in the last months, probably due to the Covid crisis, that Amazon UK (also DE where it's even worse) refuses you to add stuff if you're not an UK customer.
It's similar to Amazon US where you need to enter an address specific to the region in order for the listing to appear. So for instance on Amazon US, I change the location to 90210 and the newer anime sets appear.

NormanicGrav

(゜ロ゜)
AUKN Staff
Reactions: HWR

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
Thanks for the heads up @NormanicGrav Picked up 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, Come Drink with Me, North Sea Hijack, and The Spiritual Boxer. Came to just under £40. I’ll stick to 88Films directly for any future JC titles though. They seem to have a few JCVD titles that are going up soon too.

NormanicGrav

(゜ロ゜)
AUKN Staff
The Vengeance Trilogy is now £15 on Amazon. What a bargain. While I love Oldboy, Lady Vengeance might be my favourite in the set.

(Disclaimer: Amazon links are affiliated to help support me financially)

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
Looks like an interesting potential blind buy - anyone who’s seen the film have recommendations?

Jon O Fun

Vampire Ninja
The good news is that KUNG FU BOB (who did the artwork and will also provide audio commentary for the film) has confirmed there will be a standard edition after the 3000 unit limited edition has gone out of print.

But I want that slipcover it looks amazing.
Yeah I read on twitter he'd be on the commentary. Should be interesting as he's obviously a massive fan of Hong Kong cinema.

(I'll still hang on to my HKL DVD for the commentary featuring he who shall not be named...)

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
Apparently, Arrow’s Gamera collection is close to selling out, according to the producer of the set Source. It’s still available from Arrow Direct and HMV’s online store.

NormanicGrav

(゜ロ゜)
AUKN Staff
Apparently, Arrow’s Gamera collection is close to selling out, according to the producer of the set Source. It’s still available from Arrow Direct and HMV’s online store.
The newsletter mentioned 75% of the stock has been bought already so that's a surprise. Then again Criterion's Godzilla sold out very early on before eventually getting a second print. I reckon for Gamera it'll get two separate standard edition releases (one for the original films, and another for the 4K restoration films).

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
The newsletter mentioned 75% of the stock has been bought already so that's a surprise. Then again Criterion's Godzilla sold out very early on before eventually getting a second print. I reckon for Gamera it'll get two separate standard edition releases (one for the original films, and another for the 4K restoration films).
Yeah I read about that, and agreed we’re likely to see a more stripped down standard release in the near future.

Yami

Hunter
I put in an order for the Arrow Gamera set. I've been wavering on whether or not to get it ever since it was originally announced; I've got the Criterion Godzilla set and think it's pretty good, even if I don't think it's necessarily worth the price they're charging for it. The original Godzilla is a masterpiece, but it seems a case of diminishing returns with occasional high points (Mothra, King Kong) and from what I've read of Gamera the movies seem to be of a lesser quality overall...but I'll be seeing for myself, as the fear of missing out was too much!

In other news, Artificial Eye have announced that they're releasing Bong Joon-ho's Barking Dogs Never Bite and Memories of Murder. The latter will be in cinemas/Curzon Home Cinema from September 11th, the former on Curzon Home Cinema Sep 18th with Blu-Ray releases to follow for both. Memories of Murder will be the recent 4K restoration.

Last edited:

NormanicGrav

(゜ロ゜)
AUKN Staff
In other news, Artificial Eye have announced that they're releasing Bong Joon-ho's Barking Dogs Never Bite and Memories of Murder. The latter will be in cinemas/Curzon Home Cinema from September 11th, the former on Curzon Home Cinema Sep 18th with Blu-Ray releases to follow for both. Memories of Murder will be the recent 4K restoration.
A bit torn on the news to be honest. Criterion is planning to release Memories of Murder and I was hoping they would do the same for the UK.

Yami

Hunter
Artificial Eye are capable of putting out a good release...it has been a while admittedly, but they are capable! Just as Criterion are not. I'd rather it have ended up with Arrow, who would probably have put it out in a nice 4K UHD package. Very glad to see that AE have got Barking Dogs as well though.

Stiivun

Stand User
Already have the Korean release for Memories of Murder so I’m good there. Barking Dogs Never Bite is good news though as I missed out on the Korean release for that one.