Asian Cinema Thread

The good news is that KUNG FU BOB (who did the artwork and will also provide audio commentary for the film) has confirmed there will be a standard edition after the 3000 unit limited edition has gone out of print.

But I want that slipcover it looks amazing.
Yeah I read on twitter he'd be on the commentary. Should be interesting as he's obviously a massive fan of Hong Kong cinema.

(I'll still hang on to my HKL DVD for the commentary featuring he who shall not be named...)

Apparently, Arrow’s Gamera collection is close to selling out, according to the producer of the set Source. It’s still available from Arrow Direct and HMV’s online store.

Apparently, Arrow’s Gamera collection is close to selling out, according to the producer of the set Source. It’s still available from Arrow Direct and HMV’s online store.
The newsletter mentioned 75% of the stock has been bought already so that's a surprise. Then again Criterion's Godzilla sold out very early on before eventually getting a second print. I reckon for Gamera it'll get two separate standard edition releases (one for the original films, and another for the 4K restoration films).

The newsletter mentioned 75% of the stock has been bought already so that's a surprise. Then again Criterion's Godzilla sold out very early on before eventually getting a second print. I reckon for Gamera it'll get two separate standard edition releases (one for the original films, and another for the 4K restoration films).
Yeah I read about that, and agreed we’re likely to see a more stripped down standard release in the near future.

I put in an order for the Arrow Gamera set. I've been wavering on whether or not to get it ever since it was originally announced; I've got the Criterion Godzilla set and think it's pretty good, even if I don't think it's necessarily worth the price they're charging for it. The original Godzilla is a masterpiece, but it seems a case of diminishing returns with occasional high points (Mothra, King Kong) and from what I've read of Gamera the movies seem to be of a lesser quality overall...but I'll be seeing for myself, as the fear of missing out was too much!

In other news, Artificial Eye have announced that they're releasing Bong Joon-ho's Barking Dogs Never Bite and Memories of Murder. The latter will be in cinemas/Curzon Home Cinema from September 11th, the former on Curzon Home Cinema Sep 18th with Blu-Ray releases to follow for both. Memories of Murder will be the recent 4K restoration.

Last edited:
In other news, Artificial Eye have announced that they're releasing Bong Joon-ho's Barking Dogs Never Bite and Memories of Murder. The latter will be in cinemas/Curzon Home Cinema from September 11th, the former on Curzon Home Cinema Sep 18th with Blu-Ray releases to follow for both. Memories of Murder will be the recent 4K restoration.
A bit torn on the news to be honest. Criterion is planning to release Memories of Murder and I was hoping they would do the same for the UK.

Artificial Eye are capable of putting out a good release...it has been a while admittedly, but they are capable! Just as Criterion are not. I'd rather it have ended up with Arrow, who would probably have put it out in a nice 4K UHD package. Very glad to see that AE have got Barking Dogs as well though.

Already have the Korean release for Memories of Murder so I’m good there. Barking Dogs Never Bite is good news though as I missed out on the Korean release for that one.

Egbq935UcAAiv84

Eureka Entertainment has announced plans to release Ishirō Honda Double Feature: THE H-MAN & BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE on 16th November as well as Ishirō Honda's MOTHRA on 16th November, both will be released as part of the Masters of Cinema range and on Blu-ray with a limited edition o-card. MOTHRA also comes with a packaging style similar to Kwaidan it seems.

Amazon links aren't live but you can visit them here for later.

EgbrawIU4AEnPGg

(Disclaimer: Amazon links are affiliated to help support me financially)

Eureka also have an offer wherein you can buy both Together directly from their website for £50. Edit: I didn’t realise that Amazon have the titles for cheaper individually now at around £20 each.

Last edited:
Egbq935UcAAiv84

Eureka Entertainment has announced plans to release Ishirō Honda Double Feature: THE H-MAN & BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE on 16th November as well as Ishirō Honda's MOTHRA on 16th November, both will be released as part of the Masters of Cinema range and on Blu-ray with a limited edition o-card. MOTHRA also comes with a packaging style similar to Kwaidan it seems.

Amazon links aren't live but you can visit them here for later.

EgbrawIU4AEnPGg

(Disclaimer: Amazon links are affiliated to help support me financially)
I already have the Mill Creek blu-rays of these but I guess I’ll be double dipping.

81h1ga7KFGL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Coming November 9th from Arrow

Burst City is an explosive Molotov cocktail of dystopian sci-fi, Mad Max-style biker wars against yakuza gangsters and the police, and riotous performances from members of the real-life Japanese punk bands The Stalin, The Roosters, The Rockers and INU.

In a derelict industrial wasteland somewhere on the outskirts of Tokyo, two rival punk bands and their unruly mobs of fans gather for a Battle of the Bands-style protest against the construction of a nuclear powerplant, bringing them head to head with the yakuza industrialists behind the development of their turf.

This extraordinary celebration of Japan's punk music scene of the early 1980s thrust Sogo Ishii (now known by the name of Gakury Ishii), the underground filmmaking wunderkind behind such works as Half Human: Einstürzende Neubauten (1986), Angel Dust (1994) and Electric Dragon 80,000V (2001), to the next level and is regularly cited as an early landmark in Japanese cyberpunk cinema.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • High Definition Blu-rayTM (1080p) presentation
  • Original lossless mono Japanese soundtrack
  • Optional English subtitles
  • Brand new audio commentary by Japanese film expert Tom Mes
  • The Punk Spirit of 82: Sogo Ishii on Burst City, an exclusive new 56-minute interview with the director
  • Bursting Out, an exclusive 27-minute interview with the academic and independent filmmaker Yoshiharu Tezuka on jishu eiga and the making of Burst City
  • Original Trailer
  • Image Gallery
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Chris Malbon

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Mark Player

9EvVLhxh.jpg

Shinya Tsukamoto's Gemini is coming to the UK in a first print edition Blu-ray release starting 2nd November from Third Window Films. You can pre-order the set now on Arrow's website.
  • New HD transfer / Audio commentary by Tom Mes, author of Iron Man: The Cinema of Shinya Tsukamoto
  • Making of Gemini” featurette directed by Takashi Miike (15 minutes)
  • Venice Film Festival featurette (17 minutes)
  • Make-up demonstration featurette (6 minutes)
  • Behind the Scenes (20 minutes)
  • Original Trailer
  • First 1000 units come with slipcase featuring new artwork illustrated by Ian McEwan

If anyone wanted to get Arrow's Gamera set, it is back in stock at Hive and eBay seller Speedyhen. With the latter, you can get 20% off for the next couple of days using the code POCKET20 at checkout - bringing it down to £92.46.

The latest updated release schedule for Asian Cinema!

September 2020:

Date:NameLanguageDirectorFormatDistributor
7thGraveyards of Honor
(Limited Edition release)
JapaneseKinji Fukasaku
Takashi Miike
Blu-rayArrow Video
7thMelancholicJapaneseSeiji TanakaBlu-ray & DVDThird Window Films
14thKwaidan
(Standard Edition release)
JapaneseMasaki KobayashiBlu-rayEureka 'Masters of Cinema'
21stMade In Hong Kong
(First Print Edition release)
CantoneseFruit ChanBlu-rayEureka 'Masters of Cinema'
28thThe Master
Cantonese
English
Tsui HarkBlu-ray88 Films

October 2020:
5thThe Taste of TeaJapaneseKatsuhito IshiiBlu-rayThird Window Films
26thThe Bride With White Hair
Cantonese
English
Ronny YuBlu-rayEureka 'Classics'
26thShaolin Wooden Men
Cantonese
Mandarin
English
Chen Chi-HwaBlu-ray88 Films
26thSpiritual Kung Fu
Cantonese
Mandarin
English
Lo WeiBlu-ray88 Films

November 2020:
2ndGemini
JapaneseShinya TsukamotoBlu-rayThird Window Films
9thBurst City
JapaneseSogo IshiiBlu-rayArrow Video
16thThe H-Man & Battle in Outer Space
Japanese
English
Ishirō HondaBlu-rayEureka 'Masters of Cinema'
16thMothra
(Limited Edition release)
Japanese
English
Ishirō HondaBlu-rayEureka 'Masters of Cinema'
23rdNew Fist of Fury
(First Print Edition)
Cantonese
Mandarin
Lo WeiBlu-ray88 Films

December 2020:
7thThe Young Master
(First Print Edition)
Cantonese
English
Jackie ChanBlu-ray88 Films

Coming Soon (No Scheduled Date Yet):
NameLanguageDirectorDistributor
Barking Dogs Never BiteKoreanBong Joon-hoCurzon Artificial Eye
The Burning Buddha Man & Violence VoyagerJapaneseUjichaThird Window Films
Gamera: The Complete Collection
(Standard Edition release)
Japanese
English
Various.Arrow Video
Memories of MurderKoreanBong Joon-hoCurzon Artificial Eye
Pink Films Vol. 5 & 6: Women Hell Song & Underwater LoveJapaneseWatanabe Mamoru
Shinji Imaoka
Third Window Films
Train to Busan Presents: PeninsulaKoreanYeon Sang-hoStudio Canal

On another note, 88 Films has relisted the recent Jackie Chan releases with standard edition variants. So all of their Jackie Chan first print titles including Armour of God II, Dragon Lord, Fearless Hyena, Heart of Dragon and more are now out of print.

Last edited:
Back