Are Nintendo bidding for Atlus?

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
It is an interesting proposition, especially considering how close the two companies have been recently.

EDIT: Turns out the original source was an opinion piece. Still, interesting thought. What do y'all think about the possibility?

I suck at predictions but I think Nintendo would be the most likely choice here, unless another company offered insane money for them, I'd be happy with it though.

I think worst case scenario would be Microsoft, while they might get them some kind of platform in Japan for Xbone (although the "they are Tier 2" stuff is stupid on them), we all know what happened when Microsoft purchased Rare. *shudder*

As long as it's not EA, Activision, Blizzard, Square Enix or Microsoft, they should be fine.

I doubt they'd get bought up by any of those US companies but I'm just covering my bases.

It's still pretty much up in the air, so i'm not expecting anything from anyone for the time being, however Nintendo could work. I imagine a lot of people will complain about the titles hitting nintendo only if it happens(next persona WiiU/3DS), but again, way to up in the air. Saying that, the fact there isn't any full on reports about atlus being up for bidding does make me wonder if they are up for it at the moment or not. I've not heard any updates on the situation with Index Co either.

Nintendo needs to scoop up Atlus just to keep the great alternative JRPG's appearing on their consoles. If they did this it would be a coup. Square Enix? I'm still mourning the loss of Squaresoft...

Looking at the list of recent Atlus games, out of their big name franchises, it appears that only Persona wasn't on a Nintendo console. In fact, Nintendo even has some exclusive Atlus franchises like Etrian Odyssey and Trauma Centre. It's only standalone games like Catherine that didn't make it, it seems.

However, what is interesting though is that Nintendo recently trademarked the "Fire Emblem" name, despite the franchise trademarks not expiring any time soon. One possible guess is that development of Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem went haywire, so Intelligent Systems are now using the Fire Emblem assets they had already made for that game and making a standalone Fire Emblem game - after all, there's no way they could be working on another 3DS game so soon after Fire Emblem: Awakening and working on two Wii U games at once would be madness.

Looks like Sega are going all out for Atlus, bidding 20 billion yen. This scares me. Sega's recent track record aint great. Spend that money on Shenmue 3 instead, you bastards!

The prospect of SEGA buying Atlus is scary, most likely because they won't localise anything. Personally, I hope Nintendo buys them, as they like to localise everything they can.

I think Nintendo buying Atlus might work out well for getting EU releases, but I'd rather they didn't as I want to seen Persona/SMT etc back on decent home consoles (sorry wii u).

Really, as long as Sega doesn't buy them I don't care.

Sony or Nintendo would be fine.

If Sega get it we'd never get any of thier games (one day I'll play PSO2, but that day will not be today and thus this day is awful).

ConanThe3rd said:
Really, as long as Sega doesn't buy them I don't care.

Sony or Nintendo would be fine.

If Sega get it we'd never get any of thier games (one day I'll play PSO2, but that day will not be today and thus this day is awful).

Thats a bit harsh, at least Sega treated Europe better than Nintendo did. It's funny how UK gamers complain about how Nintendo makes them wait so long for their games after their JP/US releases when back in the NES/SNES era Europe was more about the Mega Drive/Amiga

Invisible Crane said:
back in the NES/SNES era Europe was more about the Mega Drive/Amiga

Not really; Nintendo had a greater presence in Europe than Sega did during that time, or at least in the UK. It was close, though Nintendo outpaced Sega by far with advertising.

Then, a wild Playstation appeared, and everything it did was super-effective.

I was under the impression that mainland Europe was Segaland though. The Master System actually had a foothold which helped I think, and of course Nintendo of Europe was completely horrible during the 90s. Hell, Nintendo treated Europe then the way Atlus treats Europe now, with mild indifference at best and complete disdain at worst :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if Index was bought up by another holding company. If a games company were to buy them, I think Namco Bandai or Marvelous AQL would be good fits but I have no idea if they could afford it.

And the winner is............Sega! Sort of. The main holding company SegaSammy now own it seperate to Sega itself as part of this new Sega Dream subsidiary. PDF link here: http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20130918_index_e_final.pdf

Notice is hereby given that SEGA DREAM CORPORATION, which was newly established as a wholly
owned subsidiary by SEGA CORPORATION (“SEGA”), a subsidiary of SEGA SAMMY HOLDINGS INC.
(the “Company”), has concluded a business transfer agreement with Index Corporation (“Index”) for the
purpose of revitalization of the business. Under the agreement, SEGA will take over the operations
conducted by Index, the bankrupt company that applied to the Tokyo District Court for the commencement
of civil rehabilitation proceedings effective from June 27, 2013.

Expect lots of Jack Frost pachinko machines. It remains to be seen what this means for everything else though.

They want to leverage the new IPs they have into more of their PC online and smartphone games, which could basically meant adding to the existing SMT MMO/phone titles. Plus more Pachinko machines. Whether they will have an affect on the how atlus deal with the rest of the IPs is hard to say, i just run on the hope that they realise the persona team is too important to touch and leaves it to its own devices.

Back