Are ADV going bust or something?

Espy

Thousand Master
First Anime Network, now Newtype. Yes, unfortunately ADV just announced that they are cancelling Newtype USA, as of February.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ublication

This is rubbish, Newtype was a great read on the rare occasion I could get my hands on it. I'm certainly going to miss it - but all these cancellations lead me to wonder if ADV are having trouble of some sort - or maybe just pruning ventures that haven't been doing too well?

Well it doesn't help that they never seem to tell anybody what they're doing. People can only assume the worst when they do that.

Well, everyone saw this as a possibility when Geneon went up in smoke. I guess ADV saw what happened to them, and are pulling back to focus there power on DVD/Internet sales.

If you read the news, it says they're replacing it with a new magazine. Current bets are that they will keep the format, the disc, and everything that made Newtype USA what it is, but choose a new name.

Why?

Licencing fees for the name, "Newtype".

But yes, ADV are trying to cut costs. The industry is going through a VERY tough time at the moment, and it will only get worse as long as people refuse to buy DVDs, instead opting for illegal downloads.

ADV is the biggest anime company in the US, I thought, so if they go bust, the industry is pretty much on it's last legs.

Foretunately, I don't think that's what's happening. They're obviously going through a major re-structuring (such is normal for large companies), I just wish they'd told us they were.

Fudce said:
If you read the news, it says they're replacing it with a new magazine. Current bets are that they will keep the format, the disc, and everything that made Newtype USA what it is, but choose a new name.

That's good news!

I'm going to miss Newtype deeply. I've bought about 20 over the years and it's always been a great magazine. The sheer range of articles, information and great art have for me set it way above other anime magazines.

I'm just worried that ADV will 'go it alone' with their new magazine and lose the great material Newtype had through the collabaration with their Japanese counterparts. I hope not!

This is most likely a cost cutting measure, as things are they have to pay a large licence fee to use the name Newtype so they most likley just want to cut that cost.

Also ADV isn't the largest anime company in the us FUNimation is, its also backed by the Navarre corporation which is a huge media company.

ADV is in a pretty precarious position they are the largest remaining independent anime company, FUNi, Manga, BEA, BV USA and Viz are all backed up by the larger companies that own them which ADV doesn't have.

This means they are more vulnerable to sudden market changes so it makes sense that they want to cut costs where ever possible and something like licensing a name for a magazine is a unnecessary expense.

The same goes for the AnimeNetwork 24/7 and UK, both had an alternative that was less costly (the VOD service and Anime Central) so they simply cut them in favor of the alternates.

This all makes perfect business sense and to be honest given their position in the market, their lack of a backer and the current market conditions i'd be much more worried if they weren't taking steps like this, it would mean they were leaving themselves in danger of losing alot of money on redundant or risky ventures.

Well this is a shame having all Newtype USA issues (apart from 2) it wont feel the same not getting an issue every month. Wonder what the new layout an name for this replacement that we might be getting will be like? A little information on there part wouldn't hurt guess we shall see in the fullness of time...

Hybridchild said:
ADV is in a pretty precarious position they are the largest remaining independent anime company, FUNi, Manga, BEA, BV USA and Viz are all backed up by the larger companies that own them which ADV doesn't have.

Actually, a Japanese company called Sojitz invested in ADV, not sure of the exact figure.

Take a peek.

Daym. I've never ever read it so I shant be missing it, Pointlessly expensive to import or whatever for a magazine. I'm still annoyed that its going though, I guess its only a matter of time until this "New Magazine" shall begin, And Please lord, Don't put Otaku in the name. As what everyone is suspected. ADV must be cost cutting to gather all the money for something special or just to stay alive. I think a complete merge with some other company could prove to be quite awesome. ADV are at a bit off a fault at the moment, they need give out a official statement, All these rumors can't be good for their reputation.

Hybridchild said:
Also ADV isn't the largest anime company in the us FUNimation is.
And thats how it should stay, FUNi are the greatest thing since sliced bread. ADV are still on par with most releases though.

Espy said:
Please don't be LA Evangelion :(
Honestly? If they were going to go with anything it would be the Renewl series.

Admitivly, Gainax might pull the same stunts they did with Death and END but that's the risk, right?

Fudce said:
But yes, ADV are trying to cut costs. The industry is going through a VERY tough time at the moment, and it will only get worse as long as people refuse to buy DVDs, instead opting for illegal downloads.
Just tell me where I can buy Keroro Gunsou and I'll support them...

...That's right...

just got the info on the new magazine form ANN, apparently it's going to be called"PiQ" and it will be focusing on anime, manga , video games and "other aspects of pop culture" :?

i don't know what to make of this

Espy said:
PiQ? What's the name all about?

What I just read at MangaBlog:

"Here’s a scoop for you. ADV is telling potential advertisers that their new magazine will be called PIQ (as in “sneak peakâ€

The odd thing with this I have watched a few ADV R1 DVDs that have only been out a couple of weeks in the US and they all still advertise newtype usa and findanimenetwork.com, so I wonder how long this has been in the pipeline.

Dracos said:
The odd thing with this I have watched a few ADV R1 DVDs that have only been out a couple of weeks in the US and they all still advertise newtype usa and findanimenetwork.com, so I wonder how long this has been in the pipeline.
Probably not more than a month or two. The DVDs tend to get mastered several months (probably between 2 and 4 depending upon how quickly the publisher wants it/can manage it) ahead of their release. Once it has been mastered it becomes expensive and time consuming to remaster it, which could easily delay a release beyond its intended release date. All thing considered it becomes uneconomical to go back, remaster the DVD, reprint the whole batch and scrap the thousands of DVDs you already had printed (in the UK I understand that ADV print their DVDs 2-3 months before the release date and that probably holds true for ADV US).

Back